Kzj78 Ac compressor belt problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So for the past couple weeks I’ve had a belt that screeched every once in a while. I self diagnosed it as the ac compressor belt because whenever I tried killing the ac whenever it squealed it then stopped making the noise immediately. Today I was exiting the freeway and I heard a super loud noise and then it happened again and started making the squealing sound. The tensioner on the belt is super loose now. I’m not at home now so I need some opinions, I don’t wanna throw this belt and damage something. 1 Is there supposed to be some kind of bearing or something on this tensioner that the belt glides on? 2 does this belt power anythign else? Looks like it’s attached to the fan but I may be wrong. My best bet might just be to cut the belt since it’s old and drive it home, but not if that’s the fan belt. I’ll include photos. It’s a 94 kzj78

6A8D8EF0-1A98-42E3-943A-BFE6FBEBCA82.jpeg

8A8B1BFA-5427-4DD9-92A5-BF045C41A431.jpeg

Your tensioner pulley fell off, probably the belt tension has been incorrect for a while (thus the belt squeal) and it finally let go. You need one of these:
Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 9.59.10 AM.png

Not sure if that is the correct part number for your application, you will want to verify it with your frame number.

I would remove the belt. Running the engine with it attached while its extra loose could cause a larger catastrophe. It also runs your fan, but I imagine with the cold season you could go a long way without problems.
That idler wheel is used on any KZ engine from 93ish-04ish and in Hilux , Prado 9* series and Hiace. 88440-60050

There is others from other Toyota diesels that look similar, with similar part numbers, but I suspect they wont align

Last edited:
Got it, so next question, when I tighten that bolt on top obviously it raises and Lowers the pulley. Should there be a nut on the bottom of that screw that you turn once you get it to the correct height? I think my problem is that that tensioner screw came loose. And then the pulley flew

IIRC the nut that holds the pulley on acts as the tensioner to clamp the pulley to the bracket once the belt has been tensioned properly.

As long as its torqued correctly and the belt is in alignment. And as long as the nut is the correct type, do they have a washer? I would put a new belt on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom