Krylon Rust Paint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone ever used this paint for the frame etc? It was recommended to me by my body/paint guy
F261C6B5-7366-4880-AD63-2AFCA668F1B8.jpeg

I have never used it. However, after you have spent all of the time and material to clean your frame you might want to consider a reliable epoxy paint or POR15

I have never used it. However, after you have spent all of the time and material to clean your frame you might want to consider a reliable epoxy paint or POR15
I think I want to steer clear of POR since its a commitment...correct me if i'm wrong but once it's on, it's on. My frame is in great shape so just need to protect it and make it look nice, I was referred to a local paint shop in town that is supposed to have a good spray paint for frames etc. supposed to be much better than regular over the counter paint. Will talk to them and report back.

I use an epoxy chassis paint which has 5% rust inhibitor in it. Seals everything up and converts what little rust you missed or can't get to.

I would assume it is similar to any por-15 based paint over rust product. Eastwood has theirs as well. Any single stage paint will have a short life, and is messy to deal with (difficult to clean off).

I would recommend the 2k chassis paint from eastwood, I just used it and it is amazing. It is a 4:1 activator/base satin black. It really turned out nice and durable. Any rattle can will have a short life.

Paint with a HVLP gun. It's will go on far better, and coat better. Any rattle can will fade then wear through in a couple years.

Last time I painted a frame I used PPG DP90LF covered by whatever paint I had at the time. It held up great. Its a really nice coating.

I think I want to steer clear of POR since its a commitment...correct me if i'm wrong but once it's on, it's on.

Isn’t that the point? Or would you prefer a paint with poor adhesion?

That said, I’m not a fan of POR stuff. It’s not the magical rust preventer that people think it is. It’s just a urethane with good flow characteristics. That’s it.

Paint with a HVLP gun. It's will go on far better, and coat better. Any rattle can will fade then wear through in a couple years.

Last time I painted a frame I used PPG DP90LF covered by whatever paint I had at the time. It held up great. Its a really nice coating.

That’s a fantastic epoxy primer and is the way to do it right.

Op, keep in mind that some of the paints recommended above contain isocyanates. Googles it. You don’t want it in your system. Appropriate PPE is a must.

I used Corroseal on the surface rust on my frame before painting (I used Eastwood frame paint, they sell an internal frame coat too. Works well. ), not quite as heavy duty as POR-15. The Corroseal converts the rust to make it inert (turns the rust black). Made a big difference, and gives me comfort that instead of just being encapsulated, it is converted as well. Spreads on easy with a brush, or can be sprayed.

Note it will turn concrete and your clothing black. So put down newspaper and wear old clothes or wear disposable paint gear...

Last edited:
Anyone ever used this paint for the frame etc? It was recommended to me by my body/paint guy
View attachment 2359226

As I look at the product, it shows a direct to metal application, and says it provides rust protection. I'm not sure I'd put that directly on active rust spots. I'd get a true encapsulator, and as I said above, I'd convert the rust as much as possible if it won't come off with a metal bristled wheel.

I've used the rustoleum equivalent. Both have very poor UV resistance and will get chalky looking quickly, in my experience. I've had much better success with a Sherwin-Williams product, its their "Industrial/Marine" grade paint. Not the same as PPG DP series, but a fair alternative for the price. Sherwin also had a primer called Kem-bond and Kem-Kromic. Marine grade, thick, and respirator required whether brushed, rolled or sprayed. I've used all of them and the PPG. Better quality the paint is, the better the results and longevity. I've also used a couple different "farm store" paints and hvlp applied. Unhappy with longevity of the finish. Chalky way too quickly. I wouldn't apply a top coat to bare steel or treated rusty seal without some type of sealer/primer first. I've been down that road, not pleased. For my frame, the shop that did the sandblasting primed it with a very high zinc primer that is actually used on the Mackinac bridge here in Michigan, he swears by it for any vehicle driven regularly or in less than ideal conditions. I will be top coating the frame with the Eastwood product @dmaddox referred to as well. Have heard good things. Best of luck on the project. Industrial Enamel | SherwinWilliams Kem Bond HS Universal Metal Primer | Sherwin Williams Jamaica those are links to the Sherwin products I've used.

Isn’t that the point? Or would you prefer a paint with poor adhesion?

That said, I’m not a fan of POR stuff. It’s not the magical rust preventer that people think it is. It’s just a urethane with good flow characteristics. That’s it.
I guess my point was just that it’s not just a paint but a coating. Maybe I’m way off but I was kinda looking at it more like bed liner being put on the tub. Again, maybe I’m off

I guess my point was just that it’s not just a paint but a coating. Maybe I’m way off but I was kinda looking at it more like bed liner being put on the tub. Again, maybe I’m off

Semantics. All paints are coatings.

Bedliners are used for mechanical/abrasion resistance. That doesn’t mean they’re “better” than other coatings.

Semantics. All paints are coatings.

Bedliners are used for mechanical/abrasion resistance. That doesn’t mean they’re “better” than other coatings.
Not sure I’d put bedliner and paint in the same category...all I’m saying is I was thinking POR was more of a thick coating like bedliner versus a coat of paint but maybe that’s a bad comparison. Again, I could be way off on this since if never used POR just what I’ve been reading.

Not sure I’d put bedliner and paint in the same category...all I’m saying is I was thinking POR was more of a thick coating like bedliner versus a coat of paint but maybe that’s a bad comparison. Again, I could be way off on this since if never used POR just what I’ve been reading.

Don’t assume thicker is better.

Don’t assume thicker is better.
Haha, I think maybe you’re misunderstanding me Splangy...I’m agreeing with you, I don’t want thicker Like liner or POR, I want to just clean it, protect it and keep it to as close to original as possible

So I was thinking I had this narrowed down...was going to use ospho to get in all the frame rails etc then paint with an aerosol chassis paint. However, Just left a paint shop and apparently there is a POR15 in an aerosol can now. Decisions decisions

I used Rust Bullet, sprayed w/ HVLP several years back. My 40 doesn't get as much action as I'd like recently, but I've been pleased with the results to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom