Knuckle Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
92 w/171k. It's going to the dealer next week to have the knuckles redone. I know, I know, I just want to pick it up after work finished. What I need to know is what should I have them replace. The service tech that has worked on my truck before said the seals for sure but will look at everything else. I just thought that since he is already in there, replace as much as we can. (bearings, etc.)

Do the trunion bearings for sure. If the wheel bearings are original I would replace those as well if it were my vehicle. The Wulf will disagree with me on that probably. He likes to re-use the wheel bearings if they look OK. I'm too lazy to clean them up ::) , I just toss 'em over my shoulder and pack the new ones and go.........

im with c-dan on this one.
replace the wheel bearings and the trunion bearings while they are in there. also see if they are planning to repack the birfields while they are in there. once the knuckles are off the birfs are not bad at all.
Dave

Read this then decide for yourself:

http://www.ih8mud.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=80and100;action=display;num=1051794438;start=13#13

I prefer to replace wheel bearings only after bouncing them around the garage for a while.  If you treat them gently then just clean, inspect, reinstall, and spend the $200 you "saved" on springs, bumpers, and other toys.

I prefer to replace all 4 trunion bearings every scheduled rebuild (60k miles)

My reasoning is that the trunion bearings are difficult and time consuming to get to (time = $) They are relatively small, support the weight of the vehicle, take a lot of punishment with large tyres and off-roading, and they're not too expensive. The wheel bearings cost over twice as much and are relatively easy to get to. When/if they start howling then replace them. My hard-earned 2 cents.

-B-

since the dealer is doing the work anyways, there is almost no added labor expense to replace the parts rather than just regrease. May as well soak up the added parts expense and have the peace of mind that things are new.

Plus, with my luck, when I DON'T replace something, I end up doing it twice when a piece fails a mere 15k miles later.... ::)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom