Knuckle Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lovetoski

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi,

I'm rebuilding the knuckles on my fj60. Everything is disassembled (no cone washer gremlins - must be the cruiser gods like me today!). Some of the studs for the knuckle bearing cap (holds the lower knuckle bearing in place) came loose. I assume that installing them with something like red loctite is the way to go?

When I did the front axle on my wife's 80 a few months ago, the ferg cautioned me about how loose knuckle studs can make for white knuckle driving...so I want to make sure I do it right. Any advice appreciated.

On to the parts washer to clean off a bench full of parts...

loctite wont hurt anything, just need to get all the grease or you'll waste your time. i dont use anything, just screw them in tight.

I picked up a set of stud remover/installers from autozone and have loved them. I am a bit of a tool junky and love neat tools that make jobs more difficult and funner to use. I've loved these little things and not a bad price. They also loan them out if you don't want to purchase.

The other route you can do without the purchase is by sticking two nuts on and tightening them against each other and then tightenning the stud down. It works good and will get them tight. Also, like the others said, grease is the anti-loctite and cleanning is the best thing for them.

Just my .02, Chris

Buy the new and updated knuckle studs from Toyota. They come with a reverse hex drive on the top of the stud. Use that to torque down the stud. Keep the ones that came out as spares. By the way-I paid way too much for those studs-CDan on this board has a much better price. Don't skimp though on things connected to the knuckle.

I just used these new studs on the knuckles when I put my new Hy-Steer in. A little red loctite, bead-blasted the knuckles, and then chased every hole in the knuckle, plus the Torx head made the job an absolute breeze! It was so much easier than the 1st time I did it and double nutting the studs and all that. The studs I got were from Marlin - I got 16 new studs, complete Hy-steer, all new hardware, plus pitman arm for less than the basic Hy-Steer from All-Poo. And that was shipped.

Keith

[quote author=Cruiserdrew link=board=1;threadid=11687;start=msg106571#msg106571 date=1077074355]
Buy the new and updated knuckle studs from Toyota. They come with a reverse hex drive on the top of the stud. Use that to torque down the stud. Keep the ones that came out as spares. By the way-I paid way too much for those studs-CDan on this board has a much better price. Don't skimp though on things connected to the knuckle.
[/quote]

Can you post a link to where i can get these studs form?

Any Toyota dealer can get them for you. The part number is 90126-12005. The current suggested price is $1.57 each.

I would be glad to assist you if you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom