Knuckle Rebuild Video Series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ryan ... thank you for these videos!! You will see my truck(s) soon enough for gearing and suspension install.

Have a couple of questions regarding 80 Series knuckle rebuilds:

1. It appears there is not a knuckle centering tools for the 80? Is this correct?

2. Let's assume the PO was in the knuckles, since he jacked up every other repair he tried. Is there any way to be sure if the shims are correct?

Ryan ... thank you for these videos!! You will see my truck(s) soon enough for gearing and suspension install.

Have a couple of questions regarding 80 Series knuckle rebuilds:

1. It appears there is not a knuckle centering tools for the 80? Is this correct?

2. Let's assume the PO was in the knuckles, since he jacked up every other repair he tried. Is there any way to be sure if the shims are correct?

On the 80 series there isn't a shim on the steering arm side. Only the cap side. So there isn't an adjustment for centering. You just set the preload with the cap shim. You can check the preload with a fish scale. Most of the time we don't even take the cap side or shim off. You can pull the bearing from the inside with the cap still on once you take the knuckle off.

Got the second video with the knuckle centering tool done today. I may reshoot it in the future since i'm still trying to kick the flu today.

Dumb question but what is the part # on that chassis grease / where do you get it? That tin is awesome

I got the grease from Beno. I don't have the can anymore to snag the part number from it.

Awesome, thanks for that and the helpful videos here!

I just watched one of your 80 series knuckle videos. I'd like to tackle my own as it seems like a land Cruiser badge of honor, but after I go out and spend another 1k on tools seen your videos, that diy cost savings is gone. Sigh.

I just watched one of your 80 series knuckle videos. I'd like to tackle my own as it seems like a land Cruiser badge of honor, but after I go out and spend another 1k on tools seen your videos, that diy cost savings is gone. Sigh.

The only real special tools you need are the 54mm socket, a brass drift, and a torque wrench. Everything else can be done with regular hand tools.

I guess... If anyone is curious, the nice Snap-on torque wrench similar to the one in the video is running $500-550. The only tool that really makes sense to me is the race/seal drivers. I can't think of any analogue to that that I currently own. I have the Wits-end modified 54mm socket.
If I do mine, I will rent space at a garage we have semi-local to me out here, so I'm really trying not to fall into a while I'm in there scenario and end up paying a stupid amount for unintended overnight storage.
It seems like new rotors at the same time makes a lot of sense if needed.

For sure. Just tool envy talking. I have 2 available in different torque ranges. Any thoughts on the Harbor Freight bearing and race driver set ( $40 without coupon) getting me through ok vs a name brand version (Lisle regular duty for $60-ish) I'm guessing it's all in the steel used, and the fineness of the machining.

Saw this requested earlier Ryan. Hope that helps.

* the second picture part number is 08887-00101

BE8EC75C-6890-41C8-A209-C77A3C307675.jpeg
F32E81F7-C0E2-4EF8-8064-1F4B2B5F20C7.jpeg

Thank you for this video !!

Thank you for this video !!

Is there a recommended kit in the current day market? Lots of references in the 80 series tech forum are either dead links or perpetually out of stock.

This is a “down the road” project for me that I’m still a bit nervous about but just as much for tools/supplies needed as the job itself. Not too far down the road I suppose, there’s no doubt I need a driveline freshen up from nose to tail.

Either way, I enjoy having a nightcap whiskey and watching OTRAMM videos and convincing myself that I can do that. That’s gotta be some kind of compliment right? 😂

Is there a recommended kit in the current day market? Lots of references in the 80 series tech forum are either dead links or perpetually out of stock.

This is a “down the road” project for me that I’m still a bit nervous about but just as much for tools/supplies needed as the job itself. Not too far down the road I suppose, there’s no doubt I need a driveline freshen up from nose to tail.

Either way, I enjoy having a nightcap whiskey and watching OTRAMM videos and convincing myself that I can do that. That’s gotta be some kind of compliment right? 😂
Cruiser Outfitters is where I recently bought mine. Highly recommended. Very knowledgeable and helpful.

Marlin Crawler is another good place to buy parts. Very knowledgeable also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom