Knuckle Grease (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wayne

Bought by His blood, kept by His power
Threads
I plan to repack the steering knuckles :-\ on my 96 FZJ80 and want to know what is considered the best grease ??? for the job? Synthetic or dino?

:cheers: Wayne S

When we had our Birfield party last winter we all used Amsoil Moly grease. Everyone's Birfields are still fine so it must have been OK. This is what Christo Slee used to reccomend, you might call and ask him. I see your truck runs on Amsoil so you have a supplier already. On my FJ-60, I used a Chevron Moly grease, since the birfields only get used occasionally. One other tip with Moly grease-don't get it on your shoes and track it on your carpets or your wife will be really mad.

Just FYI, you can no longer buy the 16 oz tubs of amSpoil. :mad:

Now you have to go with the gun tubes. :'(

Junk,Whats wrong with the tubes, U tiny short fingars toooo small to dip into the tube to get out the lube :-* :flipoff2:

I've got 3 unopened 16oz tubs of the Amsoil....

Best way to use a tube is to split it length wise with a VERY sharp knife. Very sharp, because you want a clean cut so as not to contaminate it with paper fragments, which also rules out a sawing tool. Squirting it out into a bowl for use will aerate it.

Doug

If you find a good pnuematic grease gun, it would work great for packing stuff, just stick the nozzle in and hold down the trigger. :D

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=6636;start=msg54089#msg54089 date=1066878076]
Junk,Whats wrong with the tubes, U tiny short fingars toooo small to dip into the tube to get out the lube :-* :flipoff2:[/quote]
Me short fat fingers no workie good and prefer the tubs. Just letting folks know they aren't available any more so folks don't sit there scratchin their arse and noggins wondering where to find 'em. :flipoff2:

Doug - good call on using the sharp knife. That's what I did and put it into a pump container - probably not a good idea since now everything in the pump will see air.

Thanks team for your inputs....... I planned on using the Amsoil Moly B, unless you guys otherwise directed.

Wayne S

Wayne,
Be sure to get the Amsoil HD (?) grease for the wheel bearings. It's the red stuff. The moly is the purple stuff. I wouldn't use moly in the wheel bearings but it's not the end of the world if you have to.
-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=6636;start=msg54545#msg54545 date=1066952784] I wouldn't use moly in the wheel bearings but it's not the end of the world if you have to.
-B-

[/quote]

Hmmm,

This from the guy with THE BUTTON? :rolleyes:

Hey I was just lookin at amsoil's website they don't give colrs. -B- , can you be more specific ? I'm a lil confused on which ones to get .

Thnx , Vince

Vince,
GLC is synthetic non-moly grease for the wheel bearings.
GHD is synthetic moly grease for the knuckle.

I used the moly in the knuckle bearings, the CV (birfield) and the knuckle cavity; and non-moly in the wheel bearings.

-B-

Thanks again for the inputs.....

Wayne S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom