Knuckle/ front axle rebuild kits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 93 80 is leaking gear oil out the knuckle seals, the birfs click louder than the radio and the front differential is howling annoyingly loud when on the gas, so it's time for a full rebuild. The rig has 240K on the clock so it's probably due. I've been told only to go with Toyota parts for the knuckle seals and get the rest of the goods aftermarket. Any suggestions as to where to purchase the mass of parts needed to do the job? I figure I'll need the Birfields, birfield seals, knuckle rebuild kit with bearings, the differential*has locker* rebuild kit with bearings, wheel bearings(they were replaced last fall before I bought the rig, but while i'm in there)and a partridge in a pear tree. I have not torn into it yet as it is my wifes daily driver( my new weekend wheeler). Whats the chance the gear set in the diff. is worn and is causing the howling?

Trent,

>> ... the birfs click louder than the radio and the front differential is
>> howling annoyingly loud when on the gas, so it's time for a full rebuild.

Yes, and brace yourself as it sounds like you have major problems in front of you (no pun intended.)

>> The rig has 240K on the clock so it's probably due.

Yes, about 180k miles ago.

>> I've been told only to go with Toyota parts for the knuckle seals
>> and get the rest of the goods aftermarket.

You'll be better off getting all OEM parts. You can source the Timken wheel bearings to save a little.

>> Any suggestions as to where to purchase the mass of parts needed to do the job?

Give Cruiserdan a PM. He hangs out in this section every now and then. :D

>> I have not torn into it yet as it is my wifes daily driver
>> ( my new weekend wheeler).
>> Whats the chance the gear set in the diff. is worn and is causing the howling?

You could easily have diff problems if the diff fluid has gradually leaked out or if the axle tube seals are bad and grease was pumped into the diff through the plugs on the back of the knuckle. Christo posted a pic of a front diff that had grenaded. When they pulled the drain plug, it came out in clumps. The pics were sad.

You could have big problems in both front knuckles. You may need new spindles. The bad news is that they're expensive. The good news is the replacements have needle bearings instead of a brass bushing.

If you have never done an 80 series front axle then please refer to the recent posts for links, pictures, parts location diagrams, parts lists, etc. There are 3 or 4 fairly recent threads with links back to prior posts.

If the front has been neglected to this extent then you should be taking a look at the rear axle too. You may find more problems there if it hasn't been serviced in 240k miles. If you have rear disk brakes then you have a FF rear axle on your '93.

Good Luck,
-B-

I know the previous owner but they have moved. I checked with the local Dealership for repair records, but the dealer changed hands a few years ago and they said they didn't keep records from before the switch. In the last year they had all the brakes and disks replaced, new front wheel bearings and all four shocks all done at the dealer. I'm sure they did regular repair work, but like you said with the seals being shot, there may be more demons in this thing than I can tell right now. I guess I'll start pulling it apart.

Trent Taylor
Orem Utah

If they did the bearings and you have all those issues they did something wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom