Knuckle Centering Tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have one with me in Guatemala. If you want to get it shipped to you I can pick it up again when I pass through in July. You'll need to pay the shipping up and a deposit equal to the cost of the tool + shipping.

Deposit refunded when I pick up the tool in the same condition as it went up in.

Do you have at least an 8" if not a 12" veneer caliper?

Do you have at least an 8" if not a 12" veneer caliper?

MUD on a Saturday looking after my 3 year old always seems to lead to ebay purchases - sort of like this caliper because it's older than the 40 series.

BENSON 12" VERNIER CALIPER.METRIC/IMPERIAL.BOXED.LOT#2 on eBay, also Other Measuring Tools, Measuring Tools, Industrial Tools, Business, Office Industrial (end time 09-May-09 08:58:51 BST)

Think I will hold off today though, should be looking for a box spanner.

This one looks useful, STARRETT V ANVIL MICROMETER.1"-2".3 PT MEASUREMENT. on eBay, also Micrometers, Measuring Tools, Industrial Tools, Business, Office Industrial (end time 28-Apr-09 19:32:09 BST)

Box spanners.

I would love to have a list of persons willing to rent out this SST. I will be doing a disc brake conversion in a few weeks, and was planning to make a post just like this one myself.

Brian

I own the SST knuckle centering tool. I have rented it out successfully twice. PM me if you want to work out arrangements.

Luke

Wouldn't the local alignment shop do the measurements for you?
ty

:lol:

A local alignment shop is often times perplexed simply by a 33" tire on a Land Cruiser.

Knuckle centering is not something that any old alignment shop is going to know a thing about.

Hit the link in post 8 and you will understand.

:beer:

:lol:

A local alignment shop is often times perplexed simply by a 33" tire on a Land Cruiser.

Knuckle centering is not something that any old alignment shop is going to know a thing about.

Hit the link in post 8 and you will understand.

:beer:

I saw the link and the instructions for the DIY tool and thought that the knuckles on mini trucks and most other 4 wheel drive solid axles looked similar and would use the same components. Silly me. I guess I'll have to figure out how to make the one in the article or borrow someone's when I do my mini truck disc conversion. From what I see from the FSM, it can't be that difficult to fab one up? Thanks poser,
:beer: ty

As posted elsewhere, Marlin Crawler seals are supposed to tolerate more miss alignment - no personal experience but they are on my shopping list for future jobs.

I have a comment on the homemede tool. Unless you use a deflector indicator, the DIY tool isn't measuring exactly the same thing as the SST, whose purpose is to make sure that the circle of the axle housing is concentric with the circle of the steering hub -- at least in the vertical (12 and 6) position.

If you just use a regular run-out indicator, then the DIY tool will not measure concentricity (i.e. do the two circles have the same center point). Instead, it will measure whether the surfaces of the two circles are in the same plane. I suppose you could eyeball the tip of the dial sensor and get a good idea of concentricity, but that's not what's being measured. Look at the red dial in the illustration.

I suppose you could machine a shaft to project from the axle housing, rotate the orientation of the run-out indicator by 90 degrees, and you'd have a good DIY tool, like the purple in the diagram. But that's not what the tool described in the TT does.
How it should be.JPG

I suppose you could machine a shaft to project from the axle housing, rotate the orientation of the run-out indicator by 90 degrees, and you'd have a good DIY tool, like the purple in the diagram. But that's not what the tool described in the TT does.

I need to re-read the TT article - hard to read on the screen but I see what your getting at. Do you mean 90 or should that read 180 degrees?

Also anyone know what accuracy is being sought? I know as good as possiable but everything has a tolerance, suppose I should check on the shim range...

I need to re-read the TT article - hard to read on the screen but I see what your getting at. Do you mean 90 or should that read 180 degrees?

Also anyone know what accuracy is being sought? I know as good as possiable but everything has a tolerance, suppose I should check on the shim range...

90 degrees to the extended shaft, like going from the red dial to the purple one in my crude illustration.

I think the shims come in a minimum of 0.008 inches thicknesses, so if you're +/- 0.004 inches you'll be fine. That's going off memory however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom