Kings Chariot dishonest (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

. I bought a KC 100 series. 186k 2004, I’m very mechanically inclined and the truck seemed to be rust free and in solid condition as advertised. I have owned the vehicle now for two years with 30k miles on it. Only issues I had after about a year or so of driving was a lower and upper ball joint which was upgraded and replaced as well as a cv axle, which I’m not shocked as I believe it’s due to the lift on what I can only assume to be original parts. I’ve been very happy with my purchase and use it as a daily now because it has never let me down. However the windshield wipers were shot when the vehicle was delivered, not a big deal but small things like that shouldn’t go missed in order to keep a good rep.

I bought a 1999 LX from Kings Chariot last week from out of state for over $30,000. When it arrived someone had cut out the Cats during the transport to houston. That is not KC problem and the transport company paid for new ones. However, the cats were replaced within the hour. Once I got to drive it there was a laundry list of drivability problems, steering shaking like crazy, pulsating when braking, and violet shaking and rattling at 50mph. I took it to Javier’s Autos Unlimited in houston, a land cruiser legend here in town. Javier stated the brake rotors are warped, tires are out of round, wheels need balancing, driveshaft is bent and the right rear suspension is rattling. Also KC added a Radio and Rear Camera for $1800 extra, but the rear camera they installed doesn’t work and when the volume is all the way down there is static in the speakers and the tint in the rear glass had three areas the size of a half dollar that was torn. Mario at KC says I bought it ASIS, too bad. Not his problem and actually stated in a text that I was trying to blackmail him for money. He said it must have been caused when the cats were cut out because his daughter drove it for 4 months and it was perfect. I paid a big premium for something that was advertised as “gone thru” “rebuilt” and "very extensive checklist", not to mention the confidence it gave me to read their statement of faith on the website. As a business owner, my reputation is everything as my business mainly comes from referrals. I'm shocked Mario would choose a few bucks over his reputation. I would (and have) taken a loss on a product to make things right with any customer. That's how you get repeat business. If I were you I would make sure you get a PPI done or see any of his vehicles in person before buying. I honestly don't even trust he did the Timing Belt now and maybe just put a sticker on the air box that it was completed, it certainly didn't come with any receipts.

Never buy a used vehicle without having it inspected. Again we write this in every single ad, to never buy a used vehicle without an inspection. The only question that a seller can answer and be responsible for is the vehicle’s condition at the time of the sale. We as a dealer never buy without an inspection. We spend a lot of money to make sure the vehicles we sell have no known issues that have not been addressed at the time of the sale. It separates known issues from issues that occurred after the sale because it was a used car or as in this case was vandalized and driven. It covers both the seller and buyer from the unknown and it makes for a smooth buying process and averts the he said she saids that people who like controversy live for.

The above complaint is a conglomeration of spin and missing information.

#1 The person above is a dealer and not a retail customer. Dealer to dealer all sales are wholesale deals. They are all as is where is. It is expected that a professional that buys and sells everyday would know the rules of the game and adhere to them. A dealer that fails to tell you they are one, fails to get an inspection, has a vehicle vandalized, drives the vehicle, and then takes it to a shop to try to get you to warranty all the above, then gets in to a he said she said on a public forum is more than unprofessional, they are weak and deceptive. We sell to dealers regularly which tells us we are selling them too cheap, and they know the quality of our builds. We’ve never had a dealer call us back about any sale until this one.

#2 The vehicle was vandalized after the customer took possession of it. The scope of that from the mouth of the dealer is immaterial. Our responsibility is to verify what leaves our shop and to stand behind what leaves our shop not what goes through vandalism and whatever else we did not witness.

#3 I don’t always get to drive or ride in every single vehicle that leaves our shop but our mechanics and our managers do. They test drive every single vehicle. In this case I rode in 2 separate test drives of this vehicle with customers who took it on the highway. I also gave this car to my daughter in law to drive while she visited us for 2 weeks. There is zero question in my mind this truck left with no issues and any and all damage was the result of what happened in the possession of the dealer.

We buy, build, sell and ship a rig almost every single day. For a dealer that transforms nearly every single vehicle and deals with an average of 150k mile Toyotas we expect to have a rare compliant and they are just that, rare.

For all the above reasons we will not assist the unprofessional dealer in fixing a truck that was damaged after the dealer took possession of it.

Never buy a used vehicle without having it inspected. Again we write this in every single ad, to never buy a used vehicle without an inspection. The only question that a seller can answer and be responsible for is the vehicle’s condition at the time of the sale. We as a dealer never buy without an inspection. We spend a lot of money to make sure the vehicles we sell have no known issues that have not been addressed at the time of the sale. It separates known issues from issues that occurred after the sale because it was a used car or as in this case was vandalized and driven. It covers both the seller and buyer from the unknown and it makes for a smooth buying process and averts the he said she saids that people who like controversy live for.

The above complaint is a conglomeration of spin and missing information.

#1 The person above is a dealer and not a retail customer. Dealer to dealer all sales are wholesale deals. They are all as is where is. It is expected that a professional that buys and sells everyday would know the rules of the game and adhere to them. A dealer that fails to tell you they are one, fails to get an inspection, has a vehicle vandalized, drives the vehicle, and then takes it to a shop to try to get you to warranty all the above, then gets in to a he said she said on a public forum is more than unprofessional, they are weak and deceptive. We sell to dealers regularly which tells us we are selling them too cheap, and they know the quality of our builds. We’ve never had a dealer call us back about any sale until this one.

#2 The vehicle was vandalized after the customer took possession of it. The scope of that from the mouth of the dealer is immaterial. Our responsibility is to verify what leaves our shop and to stand behind what leaves our shop not what goes through vandalism and whatever else we did not witness.

#3 I don’t always get to drive or ride in every single vehicle that leaves our shop but our mechanics and our managers do. They test drive every single vehicle. In this case I rode in 2 separate test drives of this vehicle with customers who took it on the highway. I also gave this car to my daughter in law to drive while she visited us for 2 weeks. There is zero question in my mind this truck left with no issues and any and all damage was the result of what happened in the possession of the dealer.

We buy, build, sell and ship a rig almost every single day. For a dealer that transforms nearly every single vehicle and deals with an average of 150k mile Toyotas we expect to have a rare compliant and they are just that, rare.

For all the above reasons we will not assist the unprofessional dealer in fixing a truck that was damaged after the dealer took possession of it.
So everyone knows what kind of guy Mario is, hours after I left my review above I received a Google review on my business that was 1 star and read;

"EXTREMELY DISHONEST AND MANIPULATIVE. SPENT TIME TALKING WITH THIS JAY. DONT TRUST HIM FOR ANYTHING".

When I confronted Mario about it he told me he had nothing to do with it and I should "check with my customers". After doing some digging on the profile that left the review I noticed this person has only left 1 star reviews trashing people. One of them was about an ankle Doctor in (guess where) Jacksonville, Florida where Mario lives. When I pointed this out to him that he was caught in a lie, he said; "i see that and i tracked it down, i told them to remove it." So use your best judgment on who is being truthful here. You have many reviews on this thread that paint a picture.

As far as the dealer thing, Mario was speaking with my client and friend of 18 yrs about the LX in question, he even added the camera and radio for 1800.00 at the request of my friend. Turned out to be a $500 radio unit btw. All of which has to be redone the right way. All I did was send the money and handle the title transaction after asking Mario a lot of questions about the rig. We paid $31,800, there's nothing wholesale about that. We paid retail. I was very apprehensive about the cost of this 1999 LX with 170k miles. That is a high price, far from too cheap. But Mario had all the right answers and verses on his website. I even have a message where I say to him, "for the price we are paying I'm expecting this thing to not have any issues at all." As mentioned before, the Cats were cut out on transport. That does not affect the brake rotors, wheels balancing, tires, driveshaft, tint or rear camera. All the issues we had were apparent without putting even one mile on it from Mario's shop.

The reason I came here to review was because of the way Mario behaved after the sale, very unprofessional. You can search the whole internet and after 20yrs in business I have never received a negative review. You should read the way he speaks to you in a text message. I on the other hand was never threatening or mean at any point. I never asked Mario for a dollar amount for repairs. I've already spoken to my attorney regarding defamation about his bogus review on my business and his recurring threats. Mario, you should really consider removing all references to Christianity from your website.

We wont lower ourselves to this level soap opera and emotionalism and twisting of the facts. The facts and documents stand.

We wont lower ourselves to this level soap opera and emotionalism and twisting of the facts. The facts and documents stand.
It's interesting you say that Mario because just 5 minutes ago you left me another Google review (screenshot attached) that reads;

This dealer was very unprofessional and manipulative. Make sure you take ever precaution to inspect any vehicle they sell, read every document and see the vehicle in person when you can. Better yet we recommend you look elsewhere to avert the stories and manipulation we experienced.

I've never manipulated you into anything and I've never sold you anything so you've never had anything from me that requires inspecting. You are the kind of guy that does the exact opposite of what you say. I hope everyone who reads this thread can see your true colors. You are only hurting your own reputation every time you post.

I never expected a mint condition 1999 LX. I did expect one that didn't have warped brake rotors, needed a driveshaft, had new out of balance wheels, and had working radio and camera that you just installed.

review.jpg

You paid 31k for a 99 lx470? Damn. It should be perfect.

You paid 31k for a 99 lx470? Damn. It should be perfect.
My friend wanted it, I just handled the money and title transaction. I would not pay $31,800 + $800 transport to buy a King's Chariot anything. Anyone can buy the same rig for under $15k and put 5 grand in it and have what they sell. After everything that has to be fixed and done right on it my friend will have close to $40k in a 1999 LX with almost 200k miles. KC continues to give me bad and dishonest reviews. Everytime I have one removed he does it again from another account. Not a good person. If you read others bad experience there is a clear pattern in Mario's behavior.

I get the “as is” clause on the used vehicle itself anything not changed or modified, but not on what is added on by the dealer prior to the sale as part of the “build”.

I searched in the northeast for a 100 series and all had significant rust. I did a lot of research but did not have the time to travel to Texas, Arizona or California to search for a good vehicle. I called Mario to review three vehicles he had in inventory at the time. His knowledge and service was professional and excellent. I bought a 2005 LX 470 with 135K miles that was not only rust free but in excellent condition inside and out - as advertised. Price was more than reasonable and fair. After 1 year of use I had a routine maintenance done at my personal independent mechanic shop who handles all my vehicles (and is an expert at everything from daily drivers to exotics) - and he confirmed the amazing condition of the LX. From my experience, Mario at Kings Chariot was totally professional and is recommended. My LX is excellent and a keeper.

There are a few things going on here. For someone to spend that much on a 100 series with that many miles is obvious they don't know a lot about cars. It's also obvious that the dealer is not very professional. Everyone needs to remember that no matter how professional a dealership may appear, they're still just a used car salesman. Used car salesmen sale cars. That's their number one objective. It doesn't really matter how they do it. 99.99999% will do what it takes to sale cars. If that means being dishonest, or less than completely truthful about something to get the job done, than they will do it. It's the buyers job to inspect the car in person. And if the buyer can't look at the car in person or doesn't know what they're looking at, then they get it independently inspected. Also, never expect the seller to cover anything that isn't in writing. If it's not in writing than it isn't covered. That was on the buyer. The fact that the seller is leaving false google reviews on the buyers page is a pretty douche move though. It just really shows the level of professionalism of the dealership. And at the end of the day it just goes as a reminder that no matter how nice and professional a dealership seams, it's a used car dealership, with used car salesmen.

I mean, there is an ass for every seat. If someone thinks a 1999 lx470 with 200k miles is worth $30k, that’s on him/her. That same truck can be found on Craigslist all day for $7-10k. It appears the dealer is adding aftermarket products on the truck and marketing them as rare and/or bespoke/ refurbished. An arb bumper, fuel rims and a light bar isn’t refurbishment.

Now, if I bought a truck and was told that it was restored with exceptional attention to detail, pay a $20k premium, And then find all sorts of issues, I’d be pissed. I much prefer to buy from private party enthusiasts… I’ve bought and sold vehicles on MUD, made friends, and got honest vehicles. It’s always buyer beware. Always.

To the dealer, my .02. One good mud review is better than 20 good google reviews. Take care of MUD customers. One bad mud review is like 100 negative google reviews. The internet makes the world smaller, and enthusiasts are pretty darn internet savvy.

I mean, there is an ass for every seat. If someone thinks a 1999 lx470 with 200k miles is worth $30k, that’s on him/her. That same truck can be found on Craigslist all day for $7-10k. It appears the dealer is adding aftermarket products on the truck and marketing them as rare and/or bespoke/ refurbished. An arb bumper, fuel rims and a light bar isn’t refurbishment.

Now, if I bought a truck and was told that it was restored with exceptional attention to detail, pay a $20k premium, And then find all sorts of issues, I’d be pissed. I much prefer to buy from private party enthusiasts… I’ve bought and sold vehicles on MUD, made friends, and got honest vehicles. It’s always buyer beware. Always.

To the dealer, my .02. One good mud review is better than 20 good google reviews. Take care of MUD customers. One bad mud review is like 100 negative google reviews. The internet makes the world smaller, and enthusiasts are pretty darn internet savvy.
Couldn't agree more, like I mentioned earlier, they are way overpriced. To give you an idea of the level of work at Mario's shop, I just spent $300 today at the stereo shop fixing his shotty work. He charged $1800 to install a bt radio and camera. He installed the Sony XAV-AX5500. That's a $500 unit, so I guess $1300 was labor?? When it showed up the rear camera did not work, there was no microphone, no USB connector (that's the only way carplay and android auto work btw) and the unit was wired incorrectly to the factory amp causing loud static to come thru the speakers even when the volume is down. I have videos I sent to Mario displaying all of this in case he wants to say I'm manipulative or blackmailing (happy to share). As I've had more time cleaning it up and fixing things, I've noticed the paintwork is really bad too. It's peeling in some spots and has pimples across the finish on the panels that were redone. I can't say whether the paintwork was done during his "recon" or not. Just pointing it out. After a new driveshaft and rebalancing the wheels and rotating the tires it drives much smoother now too. The driver door lock we just noticed was not locking or unlocking with the key or the button on the door. That part was $341 my cost no tax before labor. So far we are at $1800 in recon to get everything right the way my shop would have done it. Still counting...

I’ll throw my 2 cents in here. I picked up a 02 lx470 from these guys a few weeks ago. I looked over everything on the truck when I was there but didn’t put it up on the lift. The brake booster motor failed as soon as I got home but due to the corrosion and it being a commonly failed part, I’m not putting blame on them for that. I forked out the $$$$ myself and did the repair. You win some you lose some.

The main issue I have was that the steering rack bushings were completely destroyed (enough to knock cruise off on the freeway and activate the traction lamp) and both front wheel bearings were loose enough to cause damage to the outer washer. These are serious safety items and should not be overlooked/missed during reconditioning. 100% would have been caught if I did the inspection on a lift. Moral of the story, pay to get a full inspection done before purchasing.

All in all, I don’t believe these guys are scammers. I got a beautiful, rust free 100 series for mild premium.

View attachment 2682603
Is this the place? This 100 looks sick, but with those reviews and some of the responses from the dealer/seller, kind of reluctant.

Last edited:
Is this the place? This 100 looks sick, but with those reviews and some of the responses from the dealer/seller, kind of reluctant.

For that money, buy a 200. It’s better in many ways. This is coming from a guy that owned 2 100’s. My .02.

For that money, buy a 200. It’s better in many ways. This is coming from a guy that owned 2 100’s. My .02.
Why do you say that? Ideally, a clean 04-07 100 is what I am thinking. If I could find a 200 in that price range I would in two shakes of a lamb's tail. I have a mint 80, but I'd trade it today for a 100.

Yes that's the same guy. Do yourself a favor and call up some dealerships and tell them you have a 2006 Land Crusier with 187k miles to trade in and ask them what they would offer. I bet they wouldn't offer more than $20,000 for that rig. You can find a way better deal somewhere else.

this showed up on my local craigslist, in Montana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom