King 3.0 or BP-51 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry for the delayed post. I finished BP-51 upgrades first week of September and had only a week with the truck before heading back to TX from CO. It was perfectly compliant on road and great on washboard and rocky approaches to bike / fish / camp spots. I will post more feedback with time but in laymen general terms.. it feels perfectly compliant on road and SIGNIFICANTLY better off-road. Yes, you notice the additional weight with minor additional sway, acceleration and braking lag (seems silly to mention). Its absolutely stout and solid but not jarring. It's set on slightly softer setting (Ben's recommended.. will followup with tech specifics) and not sure I will need to adjust unless change of use (high speed off-road, tow, etc).

I can't imagine anyone researched (Kits and shops) more than me, but ultimately suspension upgrades are absolutely subjective (INTENDED USE, adjustability, additional gear / weight, towing or camp top, budget, etc.) as I'm sure everyone would agree. I went with BP-51 and Slee primarily due to Ben's extensive knowledge (Likely similar to Filthy) and the Slee top notch shop where you can basically eat off the floor and be hard pressed to find a tool they don't own. Notwithstanding, LC's have always been primary focus. Also and similar to 2008Cruiser's comments above, I wanted a shop and timely product support close to me.

I will post build spec's (need to figure out how) over the next week, but happy to answer any questions in the interim. Oh, also changed from factory to 17" TRD Rock Wheels and 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler LT's for several reasons.. both are great.

IMG_4099.jpeg

IMG_4100.jpeg

IMG_4101.jpeg

Sorry for the delayed post. I finished BP-51 upgrades first week of September and had only a week with the truck before heading back to TX from CO. It was perfectly compliant on road and great on washboard and rocky approaches to bike / fish / camp spots. I will post more feedback with time but in laymen general terms.. it feels perfectly compliant on road and SIGNIFICANTLY better off-road. Yes, you notice the additional weight with minor additional sway, acceleration and braking lag (seems silly to mention). Its absolutely stout and solid but not jarring. It's set on slightly softer setting (Ben's recommended.. will followup with tech specifics) and not sure I will need to adjust unless change of use (high speed off-road, tow, etc).

I can't imagine anyone researched (Kits and shops) more than me, but ultimately suspension upgrades are absolutely subjective (INTENDED USE, adjustability, additional gear / weight, towing or camp top, budget, etc.) as I'm sure everyone would agree. I went with BP-51 and Slee primarily due to Ben's extensive knowledge (Likely similar to Filthy) and the Slee top notch shop where you can basically eat off the floor and be hard pressed to find a tool they don't own. Notwithstanding, LC's have always been primary focus. Also and similar to 2008Cruiser's comments above, I wanted a shop and timely product support close to me.

I will post build spec's (need to figure out how) over the next week, but happy to answer any questions in the interim. Oh, also changed from factory to 17" TRD Rock Wheels and 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler LT's for several reasons.. both are great.

View attachment 2139436

View attachment 2139437

View attachment 2139438

What kind of rod holder is that?

Very nice rig! We are getting our Slee rear bumper installed as I type. Hoping it will be ready today. It is a nice bit of kit as they say. Slee's work and products are top notch.
I really wanted the Slee bumper and will probably upgrade someday thinking could still recoup some cash for ARB. Basically chose to get as much done as possible with budget. One side note.. I do use hitch bike rack all summer and though it may be a pain with swing out tire carrier etc if using daily.

What kind of rod holder is that?
Really happy with product quality and function. I did mount on side of rack so I can still carry plywood, drywall etc. It would be better on top if carrying stuff is non issue

Will Slee paint bumpers to match body color?
I think 2008Cruiser is right but you can check with Ben. I guess the real question.. will they sell raw before paint? Lots of shops and paint / coating materials to research I would think.

Damn, really nice looking LC! Wish I hadn't looked at the bumper... haven mild buyers remorse. Good thing my garage is short or I would be fixated on the rooftop tent etc.

I forgot to mention the lighting. I'm really impressed with the replacement highway legal fog driving lights bumper inserts (wired to factory switch). Also Ben had me install one flood and one spot larger ARB which is perfect for my use. The combo approach vs two of same light was new to me..

Thanks @LCnut4 ! We have no garage (facepalm) so the height is not an issue. It is pretty tall though. The replacement LED fogs are on my to-do list. I have the Slee package and LED turn signals, I havent gotten the LED fogs yet. Who did you go with? STEDI makes some nice ones. Thanks!

Thanks @LCnut4 ! We have no garage (facepalm) so the height is not an issue. It is pretty tall though. The replacement LED fogs are on my to-do list. I have the Slee package and LED turn signals, I havent gotten the LED fogs yet. Who did you go with? STEDI makes some nice ones. Thanks!
I went with ARB, not cheap but really well built.. stainless hardware, Plex lens covers, industrial wiring looms. Ben found matching dash switch to fit blank.

Do spring recommendations stay the same if going with a 3" shock? Would the commonly recommended OME springs still apply with King 3.0s?

Last edited:
Anyone try Fox 2.5? I’ve had great luck with Fox suspension in my other suvs and trucks I’ve owned. Never looked at them for 200 as I was happy with OME for Colorado terrain.

Hey guys , have not see to many post on this subject , have emailed a few guys , I’m getting ready to do a build with my 2019 and only want to do this once .
I’m doing Tundra arm swap , that has no effect on the lift just less CV angle . My biggest concern is the weight , I”M doing TJM bumper and winch , extra battery and skid plates and possibly running boards sliders .
My concern is right coil springs , Icon 3.0 is only a 500 lbs spring and no option , BP-51 is 700 lbs . Stock Land cruiser is 500 spring .
King does offer the 3.0 strut with 2.5 lift and 800 lb spring , I did email Filthy Motorsport about the valving .
Any one running the heavier combination , I don’t want a spunge slush box up front , 60% on road and 40 % sand and hard packed .
Any info on the 3.0 kings would be great .

My truck had ~3300lb on the front axle when I weighed it. Only significant weight difference was adding sliders, but I did remove the second and third row as well.
The stuff you add to the front end might weigh 500#.. probably less. So we’ll call that ~17%.
800# springs are 60% stiffer than stock.
I think it’s safe to say those springs are far too heavy.

I was email one of the other users on here he is running a 800lb front spring but on 2.5 King and is reporting the 800lb spring is perfect .
I know with kings 3.0 offers 600 / 700 and 800 lb spring options .
That’s why I am bring these post back , on paper sounds great but real world having used this combination I’m just asking .

Ben at Filthy Motorsports keeps files on the setups of every King user that he's ever built and tuned. You might want to contact him for more information pulled from broader experience and a larger data set. Not many individuals have had extensive experience with multiple different setups on differently built/weighted/use cases. Ben has that experience and could probably help you out. A quick phone call will tell you more than forum posts and emails.

One thing I learned when talking to Ben is that King changed the length of their front springs, so discussions about the spring aren't apples to apples. An 800 lb longer spring has different characteristics than an 800 lb shorter spring, when adjusted for the same ride height on the same suspension. I think the longer on has more preload? I doubt many end users know which they have, so discussions about springs that focus on the lbs of spring with someone who has had Kings for a couple of years are unlikely to be useful or accurate for speccing out a new setup.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom