Kick-down cable trouble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My adventure with the transmission on my 1997 FJ80 continues. I used the flat scraper on the oscillating tool to make a small spot to get a thin putty knife in and was able to run it around the edge to clear out the FIPG.

Since my kick-down cable sticks (it does not return), I bought a new cable and was planning to install it. On closer inspection, I saw that the cable had separated here at the arrow and is catching.

IMG_2227.jpg

However, when I got under the truck, I realized that I had an issue. This is what the end of the new cable looks like. It is the Toyota OEM cable.
IMG_2220.jpg

This is what the connector of the current cable looks like. They obviously look different. Plus I dont see an easy way of getting that cable out of there short of completely breaking it apart (which will be a challenge with the angle that it sits in).
IMG_2223.jpg
IMG_2221.jpg

Any suggestions / help?

I don’t see a problem yet. You haven’t see the entire original cable yet have you?

I just checked the part number that I bought. 35520-60050. Amazon says that it fits. I looked on cruiser corps and it seems that part number is for an FJ62. Anyone know the correct part number?

Any suggestions on getting the old cable out?

Last edited:
Used part here:

Could also get it from someone parting out in the classifieds section.

I would highly recommend getting in touch with @slow95z or Cruiseryard

Yeah, $150 seems pretty steep for a used part, you could probably do better than that.

Man I haven't pulled one off a 343 but I did on a 442 and it was a huge pain. Had to remove the valve body.

And why are you removing/ changing the cable you say it does not return, have you checked the mechanism in the transmission . Have you tried lubricating the cable, there are little devices to help guide the cable lubricant down the sleeve, I would go that route first than monkeying around buy parts on Amazon when you should be calling @cruiseroutfit and he carries nearly everything

if you uindo that 10mm nut doesnt the cable along with the seal come out ?
I don’t think it just pulls out. You have to disconnect it from the valve body. Drop the pan. At least that’s what I understand from looking into replacing mine if it needs it.

Throttle Throttle cable removal (AT-16).png

And why are you removing/ changing the cable you say it does not return, have you checked the mechanism in the transmission . Have you tried lubricating the cable, there are little devices to help guide the cable lubricant down the sleeve, I would go that route first than monkeying around buy parts on Amazon when you should be calling @cruiseroutfit and he carries nearly everything
The cable is broken at the joint. When you press the gas pedal, it engages the kickdown. When you let go, it does not return. I have the transmission pan off and can see it. When I jiggle the cable at the top it sometime returns. I have to wiggle it at the break above the cable clamp.

I am thinking that I can lubricate it all I want, but sticking at the spot where the cable housing broke is still going to be an issue.

Strange that this part is not available. Neither new nor used. ?????

The part is discontinued but you should be able to get it used, see the posts above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom