Keys (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 71 with original keys. I have tried to get an extra set made as I would like to stash the originals away. I have tried a few places and even went in to the Toyota dealership today. (The largest in the Twin Cities) I was told they did not have them!!! Also found out the parts department is useless and said he did not have any parts that far back???? What?? I have read on this board people that have a good relationship with their toyota parts man. I really envy you considering I am 3 miles away. The question I have is does anyone know where to get keys made. Anyone have an extra set made within the last year? Thanks for all your help. Also if anyone out there with a decant dealership around that has parts for 71 could I get the phone number. PM me. Thanks. ;)

Hell, I had spares made at my hardware store for my 71.

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=8947;start=msg77655#msg77655 date=1071810964]
Hell, I had spares made at my hardware store for my 71.
[/quote]

Does that hardwear store have a wood floor?

i had spares made at my local locksmith for my 71 ilco has numbers TP2 and T66V on it. find someone with that blank, should work. :cheers:

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=8947;start=msg77664#msg77664 date=1071811541]
Does that hardwear store have a wood floor?
[/quote]

Nah, but I've told them many times they should have one. It is that kind of store. Reminds me of my grandfather's hardware store back in Wisconsin, back in the '60s. It was like that and had a wooden floor.... :D

The blanks were ilcos, just like Thorvald's.

My local hardware store (which really blows) was even able to make me a spare. The key works, but is too long and sticks out of the igniton a half inch or so. I don't mind.

Local Ace hardware (no wood floor) was able to make me an ign key on the spot...elderly gentleman was able to locate the door lock blanks but they didn't stock them. Would of had to buy something like a dozen minimum. Maybe I'll head back and get a herd of blanks for the door lock and send them out to all my friends for xmas...to arrive there after at this point.

We had a wood floor HW store in our town till @ 5 years ago :-[ figgin wallyword moved in :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

B4 I firmly commit to sending out them blanks..let me hopefully catch up with the knowledgeable elderly gentleman at the Ace. Hopefully he's still there otherwise I might be dealing with buffy, binki, and bunni...the brain dead triplets. :slap:

Try a different Toyota dealership. Was able to get 2 ignition keys for the '71 I used to own on special order (this was about 2 yrs ago). Even had the Toyota logo on them. I live in the Phoenix metro area and used Tempe Toyota. Good luck!

Yep, Toyota can do it, the parts guy was just to lazy to figure out which blank you needed.
ACE has never been able to make the early keys for me, a real locksmith could I'm sure

Dont have this problem-mine will start with anything you turn the switch with-coins, house keys, even used a rock once.

[quote author=DenverCruiser link=board=1;threadid=8947;start=msg77900#msg77900 date=1071859541]
Dont have this problem-mine will start with anything you turn the switch with-coins, house keys, even used a rock once.
[/quote]

Hmmm, now where do you live in Denver, again? ;)

[quote author=DenverCruiser link=board=1;threadid=8947;start=msg77900#msg77900 date=1071859541]
[/quote]

mine will to ::) but i am working on fixing it. just not wanting to spend that much for the keyswitch yet. i just got threw replacing the door lock and going to replace the rear lock on the hatch but i dont have any of the hardware to make it work. was wondering if anyone could help me and tell me what all is missing or even take a pick for me.

I've got some blanks for both the old and the new as well as the codebooks and cutter for the Toyota keys... wish I could find some OEM blanks... Anyone have any luck finding these? Does the dealership still use OEM blanks for the older keys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom