Keyless in Downingtown (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some may think "Let's Laugh" is more appropriate but it looks as though I have lost my only key to my 1980 FJ40. The truck is in the garage and unlocked so I have that going for me. The 1980 has a steering column ignition without steering lock. The key also fits the doors & fuel door. I appreciate any guidance on how best to remedy this dilemma. Can a locksmith re-key it? Do I need a new ignition / door lockset? Thought I better check with you guys before I try to figure this out myself (which rarely works out well). The conversation with myself in the garage last night was not family friendly..... Thanks in advance for any guidance, Ken

Well that stinks! Better that beauty stay in the garage today anyhow ;)

You could try a locksmith, or if you'd like and you have a week or two I think I could help you make a key. Could you pull the passenger door cylinder and send it to me? I think I even have some key blanks laying around.

Here is a video that gives the general idea how they work - I could take it apart and hand-make a key.

Last edited:
You can get key blanks from places like Specter OR. With a blank in hand and a VIN a dealer should be able to cut you a key. (If you can, get 3 blanks -- future-proof your key needs)

You can get key blanks from places like Specter OR. With a blank in hand and a VIN a dealer should be able to cut you a key. (If you can, get 3 blanks -- future-proof your key needs)

Watching with interest. Do you think they can do this for something that old?

I think the key code is inscribed on the cylinder. If you can pull the door card and get a camera or scope up there on the cylinder you should be able to get the code. At that point any locksmith should be able to cut it.

dscn61531-jpg.1882814

Thanks Andy, taking your suggestion, I just got off the phone with Del Toyota in Thorndale. VIN won't work but as CAZ pointed out, the passenger side lock code seems to hold the "key". I'll try removing that this evening. Del says they can probably source the blanks once I give them the code BUT.....the idea of having a hand crafted, artisanal, locally sourced, genuine, no artificial ingredients CAZ key is a very enticing idea! :hmm:

Andy hit the nail on the head, if you can get the cylinder out any good locksmith should be able to cut a blank once it is source. We had a key program at work, and my associate was well versed and able to do so when we had a wholesale vehicle come in with no keys.

If the ignition switch can be removed easily, any competent locksmith can make a key.

I used to have a guy, when I lived in Philadelphia, who would do this for old motorcycles.

Removing the column switch isn't that easy without a key- it needs to be aligned in the "ON" poisition in order to insert a papder clip in through the access hole to depress the pin and extract the tumbler. I do have a few blanks at home and would be glad to send one along. I'm in Richmond VA right now but should be home tomorrow weather permitting. I also have dozens of used keys at home and wouldn't be surprised if one of them would work.

Removing the column switch isn't that easy without a key- it needs to be aligned in the "ON" poisition in order to insert a papder clip in through the access hole to depress the pin and extract the tumbler. I do have a few blanks at home and would be glad to send one along. I'm in Richmond VA right now but should be home tomorrow weather permitting. I also have dozens of used keys at home and wouldn't be surprised if one of them would work.

Ha!

That was my first thing to try. I've got 8 old keys here to try.

Funny thing - in college my truck ignition key would open my roomate's Supra doors but wouldn't start it.....

Glad this came up. Was researching this morning or re-keying the column in the FJ40. It is from a 73, but don’t have a key. Will have to see if I still have the passenger side door that came from that truck and pull the code off the lock. If not, on to the next ideas of a locksmith possibly, since as Gary mentioned, can’t get the cylinder out without a key in the on position.

Hey Andy, the one on the left. I just ran out to the garage to see how difficult it is to access the lock. Awfully nice plastic seal behind the door panel. I guess I'll try to peel that back carefully to see if I can get eyes on the lock itself.

FJ40 plastic inside door panel.jpg

It's my understanding that Toyotas of that vintage only used 7 key cuts and this has proven to be true in my experience. Gather all the old keys you can find and give it a shot. Most of the locks are so worn they aren't too particular about the key.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom