Key problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All I have for my 99' LC is one of these keys seen below and the lock /unlock remote end that broke off of another key. How do I get another key with the transponder in it, (like below, i don't need they keyless fob I have an aftermarket alarm system) without going to a st(d)ealer? There are a bunch of keys on ebay but how do I know that they will really work? Stealer here quoted me $280 just for the key without programing??? huh??? I need a :beer:!!!!!!!!!

28_1_b.JPG

key

nothing wrong with an ebay key as long as it's a transponder key and is from a reputable seller. I've seen numerous on-line outfits selling transponder keys for ~$40, and they either mail you the instructions or have a link on their webpage for programming the new key. Some of them can cut you a new transponder key from your VIN number but it will still have to be programmed in your car. You'll have to have the broken off end of your old key in close proximity and it must have a good battery.

If you were to lose all of the working transponder keys, then it becomes a big problem and the dealer will charge in excess of $1k to replace the whole unit. They will cut up to 2 "dumb" keys for free but you'll still have to have the business end of the old broken original transponder end in the car near the ignition for the dumb key to work, that's what my wife is currently using for her spare set of keys and it does ok.

Ok so the broken (plastic) end of my keyless entry key actually has the transponder in it not the key pictured above? Or is it just a master key and both have transponders in them?

transponder keys

Yes, the original LC key with the remote buttons has the transponder chip/device in the end. The "vallet" key has the transponder molded into the rubber. If you look at a newer GM transponder key, you can see a small dark bump near the base of the key blade.

The transponder itself is a bit smaller than a grain of rice -- interesting technology. It has a small stator coil wound around a radio chip. When a key is inserted, the ignition switch emits a magnetic field that induces a current in the stator coil, which in turn provides power for the radio chip and it communicates the right code to the car's module to give you "permission" to start the engine.

transponder key

Make sure you don't loose the existing broken "master" key, you might need it again some day. A vallet key cannot be used to spawn subsequent keys.

donco said:
Make sure you don't loose the existing broken "master" key, you might need it again some day. A vallet key cannot be used to spawn subsequent keys.

I programmed mine without the "master" - no problems.

keys

Pigeon said:

I stand corrected. I was just at the dealer this morning and asked the parts guy (who also makes keys) and he told me a vallet key cannot produce more keys. He said I must have a master. :confused:

But is the transponder in the plastic or the metal on a master?

The transponder is in the head.

Pigeon said:

I would be interested to know how you did that.

transponder key

Guess we're not screwed afterall if we were to lose all the transponder keys. Just found a website that will provide 2 new master keys and flash the e-prom if you mail them your ECU, for $150, have to go thru a locksmith for the service:

http://www.nvo.com/natl/toyotoecm/

Alot better than $1k at the dealer for a new module.

So do I have to find a locksmith that will help me to get this done as it says that this service is only for locksmiths???

http://www.nvo.com/natl/toyotoecm/

Has anyone ever used this service? I guess before I go through all of this I would like to know if all I have is the 'valet' key?:eek: I thought for sure that the broken end of the key that I have would have had the master transponder in it but now I am not sure I am wondering if it was in the metal end of the key that is missing...
I have got to find out how to get an extra working key, just in case something happens to the only one I have!!!!:doh:

I have to say this really sucks!

So is this a master or a valet key?

28_1_b.JPG

subspd said:
So is this a master or a valet key?

28_1_b.JPG

That is a master for a Camry or other model. Not strictly for a Cruiser. There is no "plain" master in the Cruiser books. I have found that the 98-99 Camry master will be accepted by the 98-02 Cruiser ECU.

Today i did a little test my remote start will only work if I leave my key in the ignition. Well I tried holding the broken end of my other key to the ignition and hit the remote start and it fired right up. So I am certain now that I have a master and should have no problem getting keys made. Now where to get it... Ebay?

Are you thick headed? I told you how to get a key and program it for $11. I even provided the links, why are you making a fiasco out of this?

Pigeon said:
Are you thick headed? I told you how to get a key and program it for $11. I even provided the links, why are you making a fiasco out of this?

Hey allstar, you might want to be somewhat informed about a topic before calling someone else thick headed.

If you don't have an existing master key, you cannot program new keys (be they master or sub). The only reason you were able to program a new key was because you already had an existing master key.

If you do not have a master key, you either have to get the ECM replaced, or have it flashed by a competent locksmith with the right equipment.

rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom