Key problem (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

richg said:
Hey allstar, you might want to be somewhat informed about a topic before calling someone else thick headed.

If you don't have an existing master key, you cannot program new keys (be they master or sub). The only reason you were able to program a new key was because you already had an existing master key.

If you do not have a master key, you either have to get the ECM replaced, or have it flashed by a competent locksmith with the right equipment.

rich

Thanks richg, I am not trying to make a 'fiasco' out of this I am trying to make sure before I go and spend $$$ if I have a master. Sorry to have seemed to upset you...

Update: I believe that I will be OK with the broken end of what I believe was a master key. I ordered a new key today and will program it and have it cut around here. It should work. I'll post when I get it done.

richg said:
Hey allstar, you might want to be somewhat informed about a topic before calling someone else thick headed.

If you don't have an existing master key, you cannot program new keys (be they master or sub). The only reason you were able to program a new key was because you already had an existing master key.

If you do not have a master key, you either have to get the ECM replaced, or have it flashed by a competent locksmith with the right equipment.

rich

Allstar? OK Chief, why don't you try reading the thread before talking about something. I had already stated that I didn't have a "master" key and I programmed it just fine. Please were talking about $11 bucks here! Even if you think I'm lying or ??????? what is there to loose?

Pigeon said:
Allstar? OK Chief, why don't you try reading the thread before talking about something. I had already stated that I didn't have a "master" key and I programmed it just fine. Please were talking about $11 bucks here! Even if you think I'm lying or ??????? what is there to loose?

Sorry buddy but your a rookie like me and how do I know that you know what a master key is...
And it's not just $11 for me I am living out of the country right now so I have to get this right the first time there is no room for trial and error.
Have a :beer: and take a pill... there is really no reason to get so ticked off about any of this, right. Thanks for the input though I did end up buying a key but I also got a bypass after doing some research for my alarm system.

Pigeon said:

In the link you posted for programming instructions, http://www.kaba-ilco.com/key_systems/pdf/2005_Auto_Truck_Key_Blank_Reference_

It states that 98-02 LC's use "OBP Program E", found on page 74. This states that "The toyota electronic control module does not have programming codes without a pre-programmed key. If there is no key available that is already programmed into the module, then the module must be replaced."

And then step two of their sequence is titled "Insert Existing Master Key into ignition." If you don't have an existing master key, the sequence won't work.

So please, I'd love to hear exactly how you added additional keys to the system without using a pre-existing programmed master key.

rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom