Key Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrCWineMan

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tinsheets.com
Okay so I have a weird situation: I have been through training and am almost a member of the local mountain Search and Rescue group. They have, rather intelligently, suggested that when you respond to a location for a mission that you leave your keys with command in case your car needs to get moved, or if you end up elsewhere and ferried out by helo or another vehicle that they can get you your car. In the next sentence they said that they also suggest leaving a key with the car, as command has occasionally forgotten that they have your key and leave. It is universally suggested that carrying a key in the field is a bad idea. Finally, my wife loves the LC and needs a key. So here we get to the question:

I clearly need a third key - but how can I keep a proximity key on the outside of the truck both safe from thievery and the elements and in a position where it won't allow the truck to start or open? What would you do?

Related:
You can lock an active (with battery in it) key fob inside the truck...and still lock the doors...but ONLY using another key fob from outside the truck.

If you try to lock a fob inside the truck using the door lock buttons (inside or outside buttons), the truck will beep and refuse to lock bc it’s assuming you are about to accidentally lock yourself out.

I have also been through this dilemma. In general it’s a better idea not to take your keys with you in the back country, I double dry bag mine currently. Also i am volunteer mountain search and rescue Year round. Our group had this same discussion last fall and the guys with Jeep grand Cherokee, MBs, and Audi (the Subaru crowd which is most have a real key) could all disable enter and drive from settings windows therefore able to put their remote in the car and lock the door with the physical key or stash the remote under the car and it not sense the key outside.

I wonder if it can be programmed at the dealer? Like the discussion around window control with the remote?

Related:
You can lock an active (with battery in it) key fob inside the truck...and still lock the doors...but ONLY using another key fob from outside the truck.

If you try to lock a fob inside the truck using the door lock buttons (inside or outside buttons), the truck will beep and refuse to lock bc it’s assuming you are about to accidentally lock yourself out.

Got it - so the that would mean that if the fob that you locked the car with disappeared some how, you would then have a key locked in the truck that you can't get to. On the flip side would that mean that if you had a key lock box that the truck would ignore that key when you lock the truck, and if you need to get in you could take the key out of the box and still open the truck you think?

Got it - so the that would mean that if the fob that you locked the car with disappeared some how, you would then have a key locked in the truck that you can't get to. On the flip side would that mean that if you had a key lock box that the truck would ignore that key when you lock the truck, and if you need to get in you could take the key out of the box and still open the truck you think?

In your scenario, I mention it because if (in an emergency) they broke into your truck and retrieve the key...they can drive it.

I’m assuming these truck retrieval guys can get into a locked truck as tow truck drivers, AAA can, etc.

I had a guy get into my 200. Used a couple air bladders and a hook. Took 2 minutes.

Ya. That’s what I meant.
They could get in & take truck but so could bad guys.

Maybe hide key inside with fob battery removed so a thief can’t just get in and press Start. Then the good guys could break in and hold fob against start button to retrieve truck...?

I dunno. Just thinkin of alternatives.

So to better explaine what I am talking about. With the original question, the scenario we want is to be able to lock the car and hide or via a lock box leave the keys on the outside of the vehicle. So when we are out recreating (or searching) in the backcountry can leave our keys with the car. This serves the purpose of for search, someone else can move your car. For general backcountry taking your keys increases chance of loss or with electronic keys damage to the keys so they are unusable.

When I had my g500 I would put the keys in a small dry bag and hide them under the car on the frame. Some guys I know have a lock box mounted under he vehicle or on the bumper for this purpose as well.

Also with my 2013LX it won’t let me lock via the remote with a 2nd set in the car.

The only way I can do it is go into settings and make it so only the drivers door opens with keyless. Then put the remote in the center console and take out the physical key and lock the drivers door. I’ve been told from LE that there is a simple divide that “boosts” the signal and this practice would make it very easy to take my car and given the increases in car and other petty theft up here over the last few years I don’t want to risk it.

Well getting a 100% functional new key is off the table, local dealer wants $500.[/QUOTE
So to better explaine what I am talking about. With the original question, the scenario we want is to be able to lock the car and hide or via a lock box leave the keys on the outside of the vehicle. So when we are out recreating (or searching) in the backcountry can leave our keys with the car. This serves the purpose of for search, someone else can move your car. For general backcountry taking your keys increases chance of loss or with electronic keys damage to the keys so they are unusable.

When I had my g500 I would put the keys in a small dry bag and hide them under the car on the frame. Some guys I know have a lock box mounted under he vehicle or on the bumper for this purpose as well.

Also with my 2013LX it won’t let me lock via the remote with a 2nd set in the car.

The only way I can do it is go into settings and make it so only the drivers door opens with keyless. Then put the remote in the center console and take out the physical key and lock the drivers door. I’ve been told from LE that there is a simple divide that “boosts” the signal and this practice would make it very easy to take my car and given the increases in car and other petty theft up here over the last few years I don’t want to risk it.

If you want the fob in your truck...remove the battery. Otherwise there’s a good chance anyone who gets in (breaks in) can simply press the start button and off they go. Even still...they could find the fob and hold it to the button and off they go.

Beyond that... Maybe get a small, quick-access handgun safe, or just hide the key in some crazy spot in the rear, so it’s too far from the button to start up unless retrieved and moved to the front seat.

No matter what you do, you are dramatically increasing the likelihood of theft though. So unless headquarters can get their act together and remember to grab your dang key(!!)...you’ll be at risk.

I’ve been told from LE that there is a simple divide that “boosts” the signal and this practice would make it very easy to take my car and given the increases in car and other petty theft up here over the last few years I don’t want to risk it.

These devices definitely exist. Thieves have the ability to stand at the front door of your house with one device and retransmit the signal to another device next to, then inside, the vehicle.. unlocking then starting it.

To me it sounds like a faraday bag and thoroughly hiding the setup on the vehicle somewhere is your best bet. There are a bunch of places you can hide a key very effectively. On top of fuel tank or heat shielding, etc.

I haven’t looked into the faraday bag option.
Has anyone used one that they recommend? If I could find one that is reliable I could put my key in it and in a dry bag and that could be a good option. Thank you

This isn’t something I would do all that often. Probably 1 or 2 times a year I get involved in a back country search, hunting season, and <5 or so times a year when we do a multi night backpack trip.

As for thef, I’m told up here they look for easy targets. They walk past cars with the booster and look for signs that they have a signal (lights come on inside). Most car thefts up here are GM 1/2 ton platforms 1998-2014 apparently there is a universal key that makes them easy targets. Another new problem (for us) is the window smash and grab. It’s a shame at most state/National Park trail heads I always see broken auto glass.

So unless headquarters can get their act together and remember to grab your dang key(!!)...you’ll be at risk.

I think it is more an argument of resource management - not a good plan to spend a lot of resources on managing peoples cars when there are actual potential patients that need help out there - or that is how I interpreted that. Also it is worth note: (A) I can always go to base and get a ride in our squad transport, I just live close to one of the frequent response areas so going direct saves drive time and (B) I do think that this is a less common situation being away from your car and not returning to it as 8/10 times you end up back at your car and Command is still there.

Maybe the solution is the hitch vault wrapped in foil/faraday bag....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom