Key Fob Not Recognized (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Concerning my new-to-me LX570, I just picked it up from the tire shop and it won't recognize the key. There was no problem before this. Of course, it may be coincidence, so I changed the battery in the fob and it still doesn't recognize it. The fob will lock and unlock the doors, but the truck will not recognize it inside the cabin. I have to press the fob to the button to start.

Could the tire shop have done anything to interfere with this system? Can't imagine.

Could be a coincidence! A local shop tried to clone one of my keys to my '09 LC, and the ignition switch wouldn't recognize the new key. So, I replaced the switch and the car recognized the key immediately.

Trying not to invoke paranoia here, but a bad actor coukd manage to clone a key to perhaps visit the truck later? Assume they have your address from an invoice?

I’d lock it with the manual key until you can get the dealer to look at it. The manual key lock should disable all fobs…

Especially as it’s “new to you”. I would baseline all known keys.

Trying not to invoke paranoia here, but a bad actor coukd manage to clone a key to perhaps visit the truck later? Assume they have your address from an invoice?

I’d lock it with the manual key until you can get the dealer to look at it. The manual key lock should disable all fobs…
I suppose, but the mechanic is a good friend of mine!

Did you get new TPMS transmitters? If so did they clone your old IDs or use Toyota style where the vehicle must be programmed for them?

Any worthwhile programming tool shouldn’t be able to knock a key out of the trusted list. But I’m just grasping for straws here on reasons they would/could have interacted with the vehicle modules at all.

Any access to techstream to pull codes?

I have no explanation, but it is working now. Color me stumped.
Mine pretty consistently will say fob not recognized if I put the key on the little rubber spot in front of the shifter.. both fobs, full battery, doesn't matter which side is up.. just an odd quirk of my rig.

Concerning my new-to-me LX570, I just picked it up from the tire shop and it won't recognize the key. There was no problem before this. Of course, it may be coincidence, so I changed the battery in the fob and it still doesn't recognize it. The fob will lock and unlock the doors, but the truck will not recognize it inside the cabin. I have to press the fob to the button to start.

Could the tire shop have done anything to interfere with this system? Can't imagine.
I hate to sound like a broken record but i had fob problems that traced back to water ingress. It only takes a couple of minutes to remove the sill plate and covers to inspect the connectors for corrosion. There’s lots of info in the cowl/ roof drains threads

Weird on your fob issue. Water ingress? it's one of the few things that can create strange problems on a 200.

I thought about all the rain we have been getting blasted with today in our area. Maybe a coincidence. Most folks w 200's have water issues on clogged sunroof drains, aftermarket roof racks or engine cowl cover thing.

If everything is dry, especially around front seat footwells, should be ok.

Congrats on the new truck Bart! Glad to hear you added a 200 to the LC fleet.

Thanks Paul. My wife hated the Mercedes and I did too. This was a nice replacement. My wife had an 80 and then a 100 as daily divers before, and she really missed having a Cruiser. I though the maintenance costs on Cruisers were high, but owning a Mercedes schools you.

You were right--it was pouring rain when the problems were happening. Tell me about water ingress at the cowl. Thinking it is a non-issue as I didn't notice water at my feet.

A few days ago mine had a similar quirk, where I couldn't lock/unlock/start without holding the fob to the door handle or start button. I thought the battery suddenly died but after a 5 minute drive it was back to normal. The only thing I did out of the ordinary was lock the truck, realize I parked terribly, unlock, move the truck slightly, and re-lock, all in about 15 seconds. My guess is that it got confused.

Any updated LED lights in the interior? Or interior lights were off and moved to on during or after the tire install…

There were/are low quality led bulbs that have massive interference with the keys. I’ve experienced this a few times. Mainly low market choices.

Key will work for entry because the lights are off. When you enter the vehicle and the interiors go on it interferes with starting the car.

Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom