Key Fob issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Okay, so I started this thread somewhat rhetorically, because I really just figured a new battery would do the trick, but it's actually started to get really bizarre. Again, this is only when I park at my daughter's school. Normally it's not a big deal...I'm not able to lock or unlock, and I have to touch the key to the starter, but last night when I went to start it, it wouldn't start, even when touching the fob to the starter. It took about 5 or 6 tries and it finally started, but it did worry me a little bit. I've talked to the people at the school and there has been no new equipment. This is just so weird...everywhere else I go it's fine. I'm not really expecting anyone has a real answer since this is such a one off issue...this is just me going "huh??" I guess I could mention it to the dealer, but I seriously doubt they'd have any clue.

I guess it's time to buy a tesla model x just to pick up he kids from school land cruiser can do everything else

Ha, the thought has crossed my mind...although for a fun car, I'm looking at an '88 M6. Uses a little more gas, but I wouldn't have to worry about any crazy remote key fobs. ;)

Ha, the thought has crossed my mind...although for a fun car, I'm looking at an '88 M6. Uses a little more gas, but I wouldn't have to worry about any crazy remote key fobs. ;)

The old shark nose M6s were lovely. Just gorgeous cars. The newer M6s do nothing for me.

Some people say that the beginning of the end for Land Cruisers came when Toyota abandoned the solid front axle and/or Inline 6.
Maybe it was when they went to the key fobs. :D

Not an M just an ol 635, this has been my resto project for a few months now
IMG_9392-01.jpeg

Curious... What do you dislike about it?

Personally, I LOVE not having to dig the key out of my pocket all the time. Means I never misplace my key.
What bugs you about it?

As someone already pointed out, the possibility of getting stranded with a dead key fob away from my spare is unappealing to me and seems antithetic to the land cruiser design philosophy. I hope to own my 200 for the rest of my days and I can't help but wonder if the push button start will cooperate for another 40-50 years. Lastly, I find it very difficult to shotgun beer cans with the 200's key fob [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone

As someone already pointed out, the possibility of getting stranded with a dead key fob away from my spare is unappealing to me and seems antithetic to the land cruiser design philosophy. I hope to own my 200 for the rest of my days and I can't help but wonder if the push button start will cooperate for another 40-50 years. Lastly, I find it very difficult to shotgun beer cans with the 200's key fob [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone

I hear ya...

On the other hand... My 100 series? It had a real key...with built in wireless unlock in the key handle.
the dang thing WORE OUT TWICE...meaning I had to REPLACE IT TWICE...due to the day-to-day twisting of the key.
Do you know how much those things cost? $270 US dollars EACH...plus reprogramming at a dealership!!! OUCH!!

After $540 worth of buying replacements for those broken key housings... PUSH TO START... HERE I COME!! :)

If it makes you feel an better...there is actually a REAL KEY hidden inside the wireless fob. So...if it fails...you still have a REAL KEY.

:)
FullSizeRender 9.jpg
FullSizeRender 10.jpg

So you see? Best of both worlds!!

And...no key to break... Less likely to lose it (because it stays in your pocket), etc. I'm sold.

Markuson

I am aware of the hidden key in the fob. I thought the only use for that was to lock the glove compartment. Is there another use for it?

I am aware of the hidden key in the fob. I thought the only use for that was to lock the glove compartment. Is there another use for it?
Locking/unlocking vehicle. You should have a key slot in your driver side door handle

I love my key fob. I have replaced the batteries twice and have spent a fair bit of time in the remote backwoods of British Columbia. Modern electronics are amazing. I just wish it could be programmed to close all the windows and not just open them.
I also don't want a solid axle or a diesel or a manual transmission. If I wanted any of these things I would have bought a '60's Land Rover and not one of the nicest modern vehicles around that happens to be very, very capable off road. I enjoy heated seats, air conditioning and automatic transmissions. It is the 21st century now.

I love my key fob. I have replaced the batteries twice and have spent a fair bit of time in the remote backwoods of British Columbia. Modern electronics are amazing. I just wish it could be programmed to close all the windows and not just open them.
I also don't want a solid axle or a diesel or a manual transmission. If I wanted any of these things I would have bought a '60's Land Rover and not one of the nicest modern vehicles around that happens to be very, very capable off road. I enjoy heated seats, air conditioning and automatic transmissions. It is the 21st century now.

About rolling windows up.... :)

Good new is...
That little button next to each door handle?
-One press locks doors...but press and HOLD?
-CLOSES ALL WINDOWS! :) (I just discovered this two weeks ago, lol)

Last edited:

Ah. Sorry. I didn't realize you were the poster. Was thinking it was by someone who didn't have a 200...who might not know about the hidden fob key. And ya... it only opens the door and glovebox...but in my head...it's essentially doing exactly what a regular key does via proximity when pressing the start button. Just that instead of sensing the chip in the key when you turn it...it senses the fob when you press. To me, the physical key is just one LESS physical aspect I no longer have to worry about wearing out.

Different strokes for different folks.

Sent from my iPhone

Locking/unlocking vehicle. You should have a key slot in your driver side door handle
Wait, what? For reelz? How did I not know this? I'm sitting in my office right now, but first chance I get, I'm headed down to check this out.

Wait, what? For reelz? How did I not know this? I'm sitting in my office right now, but first chance I get, I'm headed down to check this out.

I'll save you a trip:

LC200Keyhole_02NOV15_zpstegwzqbi.jpg

;)

That info is in the manual.

Owner's manual Revelations...

I've been amazed at what "buried treasures" I've discovered about my 200 by actually reading itl!

For instance:
-Roll down all windows/sunroof to cool off interior before entering by *holding down the unlock button until (and while) they open
-Close all windows/sunroof from outside by holding down the button on the door handle (no more turning on just to roll them up!)
-Customize the proximity sensor to choose to either
A. Unlock only the driver's door...or...
B. Unlock ALL doors when it senses your hand on the driver's door (no more making people wait to open their door until I open mine and hit unlock)
-Change the duration of the various warning beeps that drive you crazy
-Decide whether headlights stay on (or NOT) after you leave the vehicle (I've always hated the stay-on feature...because you wonder if you remembered to turn it off)

There are tons more hidden in that manual that no one ever seems to read.

Take a look! ;)

Markuson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom