Key/fob for 2016 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,
Looking for a locksmith in the Los Angeles area able to program key/card and key/fob for my 2016 200.
Border Collie puppy much faster than I am. Oh, well! Smarter, too. :(

Did the puppy just mess up the plastic? A pic of the carnage?

If the circuit board and the key inside is fine and one can just buy a remote shell.
Keep in mind the shells aren't original. They don't always have the logo. But they are much much cheaper.

Here's a couple examples for a 2016+ style remote shell.

New Keyless Entry Remote Key Insert Fob Shell Case for Toyota Smart HYQ14FBA 3b | eBay

New Keyless Smart Remote Key Shell Case Fob 2+1 Button for Toyota Camry Avalon

Note: Some shells come with "blank keys". Don't use these. The metal is garbage and can dork up a key cutter.

You can test to see if the remote (circuit board) part still works by pressing the buttons on the board with a battery installed.
If it's wet they can sometimes come back to life if the battery is removed and it dries out. You can just let it sit out on a paper towel or on a bed of dry rice to speed up the drying process.

If the remote electronics are broken then you'll need a new one. Some Locksmiths and all Dealers can get a remote and program it.
However, keys and remotes are an area where the price can vary a lot and one can get ripped off a bit.

So know the cost. McGeorge Toyota seems to have good prices for parts. So I would use them as a reference.

Here's a remote (without the key insert) for $124.23
Transmitter for 2016 Toyota Land Cruiser|89904-60J70 : Toyota Online Parts | Genuine Toyota parts | Toyota Parts Online | Toyota Parts

If the key insert is fine you can reuse that. If not here's the reference for $23.18
Key Master | Genuine Toyota | 69515-06030 : Toyota Online Parts | Genuine Toyota parts | Toyota Parts Online | Toyota Parts

Figure $45 ish in shop time to run the software and $20 to cut - You should be out the door for around $215.

I've been quoted $300 or more from some dealers and even more from locksmiths. So be careful and keep them honest.

Having said that I would have a dealer do it over a locksmith. Dealers will have the specific software and ability to get parts.
Locksmiths support a greater variety of locks and will likely have general tools rather than specific ones. Meaning they might try to clone a remote or use 3rd party parts when a dealer wouldn't.

If you have the dealer do it take all the remotes with you.
They should not need them all but if they hit the wrong button and wipe vs. add they'll need all the remotes to re-learn.

Also if technically inclined one can buy the remote and program it themselves using the tech stream software and a usb to OBD II cable.
I've done this myself to avoid cost. I also use the software to customize settings.

Here's a video showing someone using the software.

Here's the cable I bought. (The cable comes with a CD with Tech Stream - Requires windows XP or 7 32bit)
Amazon.com: Fangfei Mini VCI Car OBD II Diagnostic OBD2 Scanner to USB Port Scan Tool for Toyota: Automotive

Keep in mind this program yourself method doesn't save you all that much cost. It depends on how much the dealer is quoting for the labor. It doesn't take more 15-20 minutes. It's for those who prefer to do it themselves rather than the dealer.

Regardless if you also need the key insert you'd still need the dealer to cut that.

Overall just know the costs and try to keep whomever you deal with honest.

Also if this is a situation where you're locked out / stranded. The 2yr Toyota Care that comes with the vehicles includes lockout protection. Meaning at no cost Toyota will get someone to come out and get you on your way. They'd pay for the service and tow if required. But you'd pay for the replacement keys and remotes.

https://www.toyota.com/content/ebrochure/toyotacare.pdf

Here's how to open the remote - just to reference the circuit board I was referencing.

Note: In general I use a flat screw driver blade covered in painters tape to avoid messing up the plastic when prying.

Moot in this case though since the puppy already took care of that. ;)

IMG_0155.JPG
Thanks for the reply.
The dealer where purchased offered me a 'break.' A little less than $400 including programming and cutting the key. Other dealers in the San Gabriel Valley are over $400.
The better locksmiths in the area say there's not enough demand to justify the cost of software for post '13 200s or for the machine to cut the unique key configuration. They must be trying to make a living. :grinpimp: Can't blame them. I'm just hoping that someone in L.A. has been willing to make the investment. Also hoping to find someone that can program a key card for the Toyota. According to the largest dealer on the U.S. (Longo), the Lexus card won't work with the LC. If so, why have the card slot on the dash? Don't think it's for business cards. :doh:

My 13 month old Border Collie is fast as I mentioned. The first time she grabbed an electronic device was when I was uploading pictures from last summer's Alaska trip. At six months age, one chomp cracked the chip inside the SD card. The bright side is that half of the trip's photos were uploading when she made her grab. The bad news: I lost all the pictures of Grizzly bears, Dall sheep, Mountain goats and moose. :cry: (I also mentioned how smart she is. She seemed to know I was writing about her and decided to crawl onto my lap as I'm writing this. What a suck-up, but I've got to love her.) The second grab was the key/fob. Snatched and out the door in a heartbeat! That was over a month ago and wishing for the fob to miraculously reappear has been for naught.

Now I figure it's time for replacement before the remaining key/fob disappears. She's faster and smarter now than before. Thankfully better behaved, too! :cheers:

Try Cabe Toyota in Long Beach. They are a small family run dealership with many cruiserheads. They also give a MUD parts discount (20% I think?). Honest as the day is long and if you can get a reasonable price through a dealership it would be there.

They keycard will work for the LC. But it's not listed specifically as compatible with Toyota because it's a Lexus part.
Dealers will only say or support as much as what the book states... Some might deviate. But there's not much incentive from a risk stand point for them to deviate.

The card slot is for parking tickets / stubs. But it's big enough to work for the key card if one wanted.

They keycard programming process is the same as a remote. But, as you've experienced, it's a Lexus part so the challenge is find/convince a dealer to program a Lexus part for a Toyota. I imagine you'll get some pushback as they might not understand or want to program the Lexus card to a Toyota.

Here's the part number for a keycard that works with a 2016 LX570. This should work with the 2016 LC. Cheaper than a remote btw.
The LC or the LX isn't special in terms of remotes or keyless entry. Other than the style difference in appearance. Toyota re-uses parts across the board.

89904-50480 - Genuine Lexus TRANSMITTER SUB-ASSY, ELECTRICAL KEY(CARD KEY)

As far as the price you've been quoted.... Perhaps ask the dealer what they would charge if you supplied the parts.
You could order online at a cheaper price and just use the dealer for labor. McGeorge is still making a profit at ~$123.
But most dealers don't do as much volume as others so they shoot for a much higher profit margin. But they need to learn they DO have competition and can't just charge whatever they want. At $400 it seems like they are charging nearly $200 for shop time. That's a little nuts IMHO. Especially when they use the same Tech Stream software we do and it only takes 15-20 minutes....

If they give pushback about the risk of incorrect or faulty parts with supplying your own - they can supply you the exact part numbers.
They couldn't really argue with genuine parts wrapped in Toyota packaging. But they might not be willing since it limits their profit.

Also you might be able to show them the prices you can get parts for online. Maybe they'll budge.

But at that price I would buy the OBD II cable and program myself. Or at-least try. Amazon has a very reasonable return policy if it doesn't work out.

The locksmith you're talking to is giving it to you straight. The "side cut" key machines that can cut by code are about $10k. Most locksmiths don't have the demand to justify. Actually most dealers don't have the key machines either. They order the keys cut from another dealer or distributer based on VIN code. (Keycode btw came with the vehicle during sale on a metal tag - picture below) But that cutting doesn't jack the price that much... Side cut keys are no more secure than traditional top cut keys. They are just different which helps suppliers control the supply.

download.jpeg

But she ate the key insert too? Nothing is salvageable? A pic of what's left?
I was thinking the key insert was salvageable and could be re-used.

EDIT--- Oh never mind. She took the fob and hid it. It's no where to be found... I got it now..

Last edited:
They keycard will work for the LC. But it's not listed specifically as compatible with Toyota because it's a Lexus part.
Dealers will only say or support as much as what the book states... Some might deviate. But there's not much incentive from a risk stand point for them to deviate.

The card slot is for parking tickets / stubs. But it's big enough to work for the key card if one wanted.

They keycard programming process is the same as a remote. But, as you've experienced, it's a Lexus part so the challenge is find/convince a dealer to program a Lexus part for a Toyota. I imagine you'll get some pushback as they might not understand or want to program the Lexus card to a Toyota.

Here's the part number for a keycard that works with a 2016 LX570. This should work with the 2016 LC. Cheaper than a remote btw.
The LC or the LX isn't special in terms of remotes or keyless entry. Other than the style difference in appearance. Toyota re-uses parts across the board.

89904-50480 - Genuine Lexus TRANSMITTER SUB-ASSY, ELECTRICAL KEY(CARD KEY)

As far as the price you've been quoted.... Perhaps ask the dealer what they would charge if you supplied the parts.
You could order online at a cheaper price and just use the dealer for labor. McGeorge is still making a profit at ~$123.
But most dealers don't do as much volume as others so they shoot for a much higher profit margin. But they need to learn they DO have competition and can't just charge whatever they want. At $400 it seems like they are charging nearly $200 for shop time. That's a little nuts IMHO. Especially when they use the same Tech Stream software we do and it only takes 15-20 minutes....

If they give pushback about the risk of incorrect or faulty parts with supplying your own - they can supply you the exact part numbers.
They couldn't really argue with genuine parts wrapped in Toyota packaging. But they might not be willing since it limits their profit.

Also you might be able to show them the prices you can get parts for online. Maybe they'll budge.

But at that price I would buy the OBD II cable and program myself. Or at-least try. Amazon has a very reasonable return policy if it doesn't work out.

The locksmith you're talking to is giving it to you straight. The "side cut" key machines that can cut by code are about $10k. Most locksmiths don't have the demand to justify. Actually most dealers don't have the key machines either. They order the keys cut from another dealer or distributer based on VIN code. (Keycode btw came with the vehicle during sale on a metal tag - picture below) But that cutting doesn't jack the price that much... Side cut keys are no more secure than traditional top cut keys. They are just different which helps suppliers control the supply.

View attachment 1474394

Can you confirm that part number - I was quoted $300 for the same Lexus key for my 2016 LC with no refunds but they gave me a different part number - all the same, but ends in 1.

Funny that this topic popped up today. My wife "misplaced" her fob about a week ago. We have gone through everything and have been unable to find it. So one question - does anyone make a tool that would sense the key and help us find it? Second question - is buying an aftermarket fob and having someone (Toyota) program it make sense or will it cost the same in the end?

Funny that this topic popped up today. My wife "misplaced" her fob about a week ago. We have gone through everything and have been unable to find it. So one question - does anyone make a tool that would sense the key and help us find it? Second question - is buying an aftermarket fob and having someone (Toyota) program it make sense or will it cost the same in the end?

Start googling for those car theft signal boosters and I’ll bet you’ll find a tool that’ll find it. That aside, the Lexus guy I talked to today said that under no circumstances can a used fob / card be used. But based on what I can find online, shop for the new part, my local Lexus shop is almost 3x over what I can find online.

Start googling for those car theft signal boosters and I’ll bet you’ll find a tool that’ll find it. That aside, the Lexus guy I talked to today said that under no circumstances can a used fob / card be used. But based on what I can find online, shop for the new part, my local Lexus shop is almost 3x over what I can find online.

I work for DENSO and have addressed this issue.

A dealer can reprogram a used FOB/CARD but it requires extra time as it requires resetting the ECU and you need to have all your keys to reprogram. You can only do this if you already have a key and the dealer is only able to do this as it requires the car to be connected to the Toyota dealer network.

I know Lexus of Beverly Hills can do this but the OG tech might not work there anymore.

I might try doing this. Any source on blank key/fobs? Is this legit?

Toyota Smart Key Fob PN: 89904-60770​

McGeorge is quoting 600 for keyed, 450 for non driveable FOB only opens door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom