Keep losing my wheel weights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Land Shark

SILVER Star
Threads
So a few months ago I had some new tires installed 285/75/16 BFG AT' on my stock wheels. I previously was running the same size BFG MT's. A couple of weeks after the install I noticed one of the wheel weights were missing. Did not raise much of a ? at that point simple took it back and they balanced the tire again. Then a few weeks after that I noticed yet another weight missing same tire different spot. So I took it back and they balanced it again. And just this AM I noticed that my other tire had thrown a weight. So now I am like :hmm: WTF! Anyone have any ideas as to what may be going on here.

Thanks

The shop is likely not installing the correct style of weight for the profile of the wheel. On your next trip back to the shop ask to speak with a manager and explain what's going on they should be able to figure it our quickly enough. If they don't have the correct weights seek a solution (they order the proper weights or pay another shop).

Thanks did not realize there were different styles of weights

A long long timeago I was asst. mgr. of a tire shop. We used to line up all the old weights we pulled off andpaint them silver and reuse them, maybe they do that too.

I've knocked off so many pound on weights while off roading...
that I refuse to use those now.

Instead... I have them install the sticky weights...
both on the inner and outer rim of the wheels.
* be sure the wheel is clean before application

They're fairly ugly no doubt...
but I paint them black to match the wheel...
and rarely look twice at them.

I have been using this method some time
and I haven't lost one in over 10 years use.

and unless you look closely or are anal... you won't notice them

Installer could hide them down the center line (inside)
if that's of concern...
Tho' IMO... weights should be on both the inner and outer sides of the wheel for the best balance possible.

I'm using the ceramic beads in two of my trucks. One has tubes and one is tubeless. No trouble, from either set, yet. They seem balanced, so I guess, they're working.

Thanks fir the replies guys. Im getting an education on wheel weights. Will let you know what i find out

I'm using the ceramic beads in two of my trucks. One has tubes and one is tubeless. No trouble, from either set, yet. They seem balanced, so I guess, they're working.

Dynabeads. My last vehicle was a dodge diesel, about 8500lbs. After 15-20,000 miles I couldn't keep my tires balanced. Would throw weights every time I had them re-balanced. I eventually put about 7oz's of dynabeads in each tire. I left the original weights on the rims and they never came off again. The truck ran smoother than it ever had. As soon as I get new tires for the cruiser I'm putting beads in them.

I just put some 345 x 16 BFG KM2 on my restomod stock steelies. The powdercoat was a few weeks old and the stick on weights keep falling off before I even put them on the truck.

I just put some 345 x 16 BFG KM2 on my restomod stock steelies. The powdercoat was a few weeks old and the stick on weights keep falling off before I even put them on the truck.

Your tire shop is using a crap quailty stick on weight then....but you could always cover them in black gorilla tape..

Find a place that has perfect (is it a brand of weights) stick on weights. There adhesive is very good.

I'm running the Trailworthy Fab wheels and tires with 11oZ of air soft pellets in each tire and no weights. Total cost was about $14 (compare that to Dyna beads).

They run smooth as butter except for an occasional minor wobble at low speed while the beads distribute.

So a few months ago I had some new tires installed 285/75/16 BFG AT' on my stock wheels. I previously was running the same size BFG MT's. A couple of weeks after the install I noticed one of the wheel weights were missing. Did not raise much of a ? at that point simple took it back and they balanced the tire again. Then a few weeks after that I noticed yet another weight missing same tire different spot. So I took it back and they balanced it again. And just this AM I noticed that my other tire had thrown a weight. So now I am like :hmm: WTF! Anyone have any ideas as to what may be going on here.

Thanks
Are you running factory alloy rims, some of these wheels need a special wheel weight a standard alloy wheel weight won't clamp on properly, I have learned this from about years in the tire industry.

I'm running the Trailworthy Fab wheels and tires with 11oZ of air soft pellets in each tire and no weights. Total cost was about $14 (compare that to Dyna beads).

They run smooth as butter except for an occasional minor wobble at low speed while the beads distribute.
Dan,

How did you determine, how much weight to use and how did you put them in your tire, when mounting. On my tubless tires, they just threw a pack of beads in and it brakes apart, when the tire spins.

On my Military tires, which have tubes, I had to pour the beads down the valve stem-PITA, but works good.

I like your idea better, but what are Air Soft Pellets.

Thanks, Ron

Dan,

How did you determine, how much weight to use and how did you put them in your tire, when mounting. On my tubless tires, they just threw a pack of beads in and it brakes apart, when the tire spins.

On my Military tires, which have tubes, I had to pour the beads down the valve stem-PITA, but works good.

I like your idea better, but what are Air Soft Pellets.

Thanks, Ron
For the amount I used this chart
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/BigTirechart.htm
I added an ounce because the Hummer wheels are so heavy.

Wiki on airsoft pellets
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airsoft_pellets

Wow, a whole page on pellets! So, which ones did you use. Did you just put them in the tire, while you were mounting it, loose.

Wow, a whole page on pellets! So, which ones did you use. Did you just put them in the tire, while you were mounting it, loose.
I forget the weight of the pellets I used, they were the black Crossman ones.

Yeah, I just weighed out the pellets and dumped them in while I was mounting the tires.
If you wanted to add them to tires that are already mounted you could pull the valve stem this tool and use a funnel to pour the beads in.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200488257_200488257

I used dyna beads cause of the rough roads I drive on fro work. Got 50,000 out of the last seat of BFG AT's prob could have gotte another 10,000 out of them but sold the rig. I had the same experience as Rusty_tlc an occasional low speed wobble but worked really really good once you get moving. Plus if you rip a chunk of tread off on the rocks its no big deal they rebalance themselves.

I have thrown off many new weights. As stated above Toyota wheels use a certain type of weight, once installed they dont come off. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom