Keep having battery issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought 2 new batteries from Wal-Mart less than a month ago and they already hit the bed. I have a 24V system and the batteries can't seem to last. The volt meter goes up slowly and when I start it and for instance use the blinkers the meter will move as the blinkers is in use. I'm wondering if it's an alternator issue because this is the 3rd set of batteries I've bought in the last 6 months. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Ahh yes check your alternator is pushing out the correct volts.... If a diode in the alternator goes bad it can discharge the batteries.

Or make sure you have any 12v stuff hooked up the right way through an isolator. A 12v load on either individually will kill it....and the other as they charge as one. I second the voltage regulator but that should be giving you some dash light warning. If you have a multimeter, test what the output of the alternator is at idle and with some throttle. If you can actually see the voltage drop when accessories are used my guess is the alternator is not producing close to enough.

Finnish,
I have a 12V system, but I was getting erratic movement on my meter accompanied with flashing battery light.
A lot of people recommend rebuilding the alternator (supposedly the brushes were going bad). I did that, but the symptoms continued. It ended up being the voltage regulator on my vehicle.

Last edited:
I would look for an auto shop that specializes in alternators, generators and starters.
The many I have dealt with (1968 MGB) have all been very good.

The red ignition light normally comes on when its not charging. There are a few other things like bad earths that can cause similar symptoms. Alternators can be bench tested. I wouldn't be paying money until I'm 100% sure its the alternator.

I had a similar problem. Battery was nearly flat over night. The amps reading between the battery and alt main charge terminal was reading 0.4 amps. There was a leaky diode in the alt. As a stopgap I put a 40 amp relay between the battery and alt, activated with ignition. This worked fine for a few weeks until the alt was fixed.

Mine does this as well, I don't believe that is an issue by itself.
agreed, replaced my alty with a terrain tamer 100 amp as well as the bulbs to led, must be the relay that makes it move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom