KDSS woes. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking to drown and recharge a KDSS on a 200 from 2008 with 190k on the clock. She lost her front right shock twice and has had a steering rack change. She drops to one side.

I wanted to know how much fluid does the system need and any other tips for recharging The system.

I’m looking to drown and recharge a KDSS on a 200 from 2008 with 190k on the clock. She lost her front right shock twice and has had a steering rack change. She drops to one side.

I wanted to know how much fluid does the system need and any other tips for recharging The system.
It is a pretty complex procedure, you’ll need access to the factory service manual. Search around on here for how to get access to it. And please, if you do this job, document it and post. There isn’t a lot of that stuff posted to this section, or anywhere online really.

IIRC, system PSI is in the *hundreds.* Toyota uses a specialized tool to do it & most dealerships don’t even have the tool on site.

Pretty sure this is NOT a DIY procedure.

Are you sure you need to drain and refill? Has the closed kdss system been opened up? Or are you just looking to level the suspension (which doesn’t require opening it up, but just loosening two fasteners so it can rebalance internally)? If you are just trying to adjust for a lean, search this site for “KDSS lean”, and you’ll find lots of information.

I had mine drained accidently by a shop doing some work on the suspension. The local Toyota dealership that recharged mine had or borrow the system from another dealership to complete the task. There's pics of it being done in my build thread - post#29. The cost was $600 charged to the shop that accidently opened a shutter valve to much. Check it out to get a better understanding. I've often thought about deleting KDSS all together and replacing the sway bars with a normal ones F/R to not limit wheel size and clearances - have yet to act on that though. The folks down under can order their 200's sans the KDSS - its an option for them which I find interesting.

I had mine drained accidently by a shop doing some work on the suspension. The local Toyota dealership that recharged mine had or borrow the system from another dealership to complete the task. There's pics of it being done in my build thread - post#29. The cost was $600 charged to the shop that accidently opened a shutter valve to much. Check it out to get a better understanding. I've often thought about deleting KDSS all together and replacing the sway bars with a normal ones F/R to not limit wheel size and clearances - have yet to act on that though. The folks down under can order their 200's sans the KDSS - its an option for them which I find interesting.
So would it be safe to assume that the necessary parts can be had?

@RET2 I haven't researched it enough.

I could be wrong but I believe the parts from a LX bolt on. 99% sure about the front, less certain about the rear.

Note that you won’t corner as flat on road though. A major advantage to a properly working KDSS system is it allows what would otherwise be way too stiff of a sway bar to work off road. The LX gets away with the smaller bar by assisting it with the active suspension. (If I understand it correctly)

Last edited:
The parts can be ordered from partsouq.com. I want to say the complete part list came out to $1500-ish. It’s been a little while since I’ve flirted with the idea, but I think I may still have a part number list somewhere.

The parts can be ordered from partsouq.com. I want to say the complete part list came out to $1500-ish. It’s been a little while since I’ve flirted with the idea, but I think I may still have a part number list somewhere.
I was way off on my recollection of the estimate. Here’s my notes from a couple of months ago. If anyone gives it a go, let us know the results!

99300559-ED6F-4282-B962-7D26055AA21D.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom