Kaon Roof Shelf... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any suggestions on how to pop off the third row handle covers? Watched the Kaon installation video and it didn’t seem too bad. Now my covers are a little mangled and they’re still on there.

Any suggestions on how to pop off the third row handle covers? Watched the Kaon installation video and it didn’t seem too bad. Now my covers are a little mangled and they’re still on there.

They were a pain. I used a thin flathead screw driver and mangled them out.

No probs. I plan to post another picture and some dimensions but not this weekend. Too damn cold in Denver. I just got an ARB classic 2 63qt fridge that is about 17 inches high. It keeps good visibility with both the fridge and kaon installed out the back. Eventually will post pic of arb drawers, kaon, ARB fridge and exped single mat on passenger side. That will be my solo camp set up when I don’t have the family with and am not hauling my turtleback. Just need to get some visors for the windows to help with condensation while sleeping in the rig.
For anyone who has ARB drawers and wants to know the height from the top of the ARB drawers to the bottom of the Kaon rack it’s 23.5 inches. My ARB 63qt fridge fits perfect and I can open the lid enough to get the basket out of the fridge without having to take the lid off. I tried a domestic 45 with ARB drawers and I wasn’t able to get the basket out without removing the lid completely. I really like the height of the ARB 63 qt but it’s a little larger than I need. I wish they made a low profile fridge around the size of the domestic CFX 45. All of the smaller fridges were a little too tall for the ARB drawers IMO. Especially if your wife isn’t tall it’s hard to see in the fridge when extended out with the roller floor. I am 6ft tall and it is perfect.

I run this shelf in our GX and I love it, I couldn't imagine how much use I would get out of such a trivial mod. JW Offroad makes one and Victory is coming out with one as well. If you're going to run drawers underneath you need to investigate your clearance should you plan to run a fridge on top of the drawers, I am battling with this now.

I wish it was on slides. The tailgate on the cruiser makes it impossible to reach for this short man.

Probably not as much as an issue in a GX because of the swing out.

I wish it was on slides. The tailgate on the cruiser makes it impossible to reach for this short man.

Probably not as much as an issue in a GX because of the swing out.
lol, I'm 6'1" and I have to climb on to the tailgate to put/reach items up there unless they are right on the edge.

Yeah, I’m just over 6’ too and have to climb up onto the tailgate if something in the cargo area slides forward to the back of the 2nd row seats. I’ve been contemplating setting up a barrier of some sort to prevent that from happening when I‘m doing things like getting groceries.

Hmm, I think you've just thought of a nice upgrade for the basket, slides. Any yes, it's much easier to access and use in the GX without a tailgate in the way.

Hmm, I think you've just thought of a nice upgrade for the basket, slides. Any yes, it's much easier to access and use in the GX without a tailgate in the way.
To help get things out of the rack I store soft items in three blue ridge overland gear packing cubes. Those get stored up against the fence rail pushed all the way back. I keep the handles of the packing cubes accessible so when I need something out of one of the cubes I just pull the whole packing cube down get what I need and put the cube back. For a nice finishing touch each packing cube has a label that faces toward the rear of the rack. This solves the awkward reach for items in the far back of the kaon rack toward the fence rail.

To help get things out of the rack I store soft items in three blue ridge overland gear packing cubes. Those get stored up against the fence rail pushed all the way back. I keep the handles of the packing cubes accessible so when I need something out of one of the cubes I just pull the whole packing cube down get what I need and put the cube back. For a nice finishing touch each packing cube has a label that faces toward the rear of the rack. This solves the awkward reach for items in the far back of the kaon rack toward the fence rail.

Nice solution.

I just installed the Kaon shelf and can confirm the following:
  • shipping took about 5 days
  • packaging was well done and everything was bubble-wrapped
  • build quality is excellent
  • very sturdy, and although I think it would hold more than 22 pounds, I don't plan on pushing it
  • looks great
  • height from floor to bottom of the shelf is 34.25"
  • I'm 6'1" and the shelf does not block the view through the rearview mirror
  • I also wish this was on a slide system
  • and yes... getting those handles off was a bit tricky
A bit expensive (what isn't?) but very happy with the purchase.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to reach out.

Last edited:
After a little bit of drama of having to remove the rear window trim pieces to retrieve one of the nuts that apparently wasn't fully seated, I got my Kaon installed. Really fast shipping and easy install all things considered. Great fit and looks plenty useful.

Last edited:
Generic shelf v2 completed. Much happier with this one. Uses the kaon bolt kit. Brackets are 8 1x3x5 stainless steel. Shelf is a 2 ft by 4 ft advertising grid. Also used 30” of 3/4” 1/8” angle aluminum and a bungee.

234F9F10-D181-4686-B1D4-7001C8B21713.jpeg

F9D64CDC-E61A-41BA-AE4E-4DC326E54CB9.jpeg

E935C973-5035-487A-866A-464BBDABBFF7.jpeg

Did the pricing/shipping increase on this? I'm seeing comments saying it was barely over $300 shipped, yet I'm getting about $450?

@tpgrole Possibly a stupid question on my part, but are you converting AU dollars to US dollars?

Did the pricing/shipping increase on this? I'm seeing comments saying it was barely over $300 shipped, yet I'm getting about $450?
I think it is a combination of three things. It looks like they raised the price some, the shipping has gone up some and the exchange rate has changed.

Edit: make sure you do the conversion to USD also.

Good point fellas. I assumed since I put in a US address that the site converted the total to USD. It makes sense that I was mistaken. Thanks for adding some clarity to my foggy brain!

EDIT: After completing my order, the charge was ~$340 USD.

Last edited:
Question for all you Kaon owners. How hard would it be to turn the shelf around? I think I would prefer access from the passenger side for soft pack coats and blankets. Would the roof lines still work?

When you check out, it will charge you in US Dollars.
If you have a credit card that has no foreign transaction fee you will normally get your best exchange rate by paying in the foreign currency and letting the CC company do the exchange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom