K&N filters for dummies (or beginners) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. Seems like time to clean the K&N air filter on my Weber carb. This is a relatively new-to-me ‘84 FJ60, but doubtful that matters in this situation. Anyway. Honestly I’m just not sure how to remove the dang thing. PO gave me the cleaner spray so I’m ready to get it spruced up. Can anyone provide some guidance to help me remove the filter for a cleaning? Thanks.

P.S. Sorry about the sideways pic.

C284889E-AC2D-4BFA-A7B8-63E87CEAC005.jpeg

Pop those clips off can see the two right in front there should be two more in the back and supposed to be one on each side too but dont see them. Not surw if they make a prefilter for that filter if they do i would recommend installing it with all that dirt/ mud all over the filter.

Sorry looked closer maybe there are not one on each side thought the last one i worked on had them but guess not.

Is there a larger (as in, more filtering surface area) paper filter you could put on? Oil/gauze based filters are notoriously bad for an engine's longevity, and you can achieve just as good of airflow as long as you have a filter with more surface area to make up for the decreased airflow on a square inch to square inch comparison.

A snorkel works well as a pre-filter, and just say no to the oiled k+n air filter, I have BTDT, and rued doing it.

At the time, it seemed like a good idea to stop throwing away the spent paper filters and go with the re-useable one, but after the original engine had heart congestion issues and was replaced. . . I will stick with the paper type filter.

Got it off and cleaned, thanks. Good to know about oiled K&N filters. Like I said, came with the truck so I’m not really sure. I’ll see what other options are out there.

Right. Already have the basic K&N pleated filter so it seems like a prefilter would be an obvious and inexpensive improvement.
Sorry, I misinterpreted your statement about lower maintenance and effectiveness to mean you’d replace the pleated with the foam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom