Jzilla's FJ60 to BJ60 conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ahh... I see. It's more a morbid curiosity for me. Like when we did emergency surgery on this guy at work who exploded his rectum and tore it off his anus cus he was so constipated. I'm not allowed to take pictures though. Sucks. Good reminder to drink plenty of water and eat a good amount of fiber.

Injector lines before being coated (obviously).
20150428_195551.jpg

I had a shop throw in the valve seals and precups for me as I wanted them to thoroughly clean the head up for me before decking it.
Well that was a mistake! I should have done it myself. They peened the cups in (they said it was to make sure that when they decked the head that the cups would not come out) and did a really bad job of cleaning it. They ended up refunding me for the cleaning charges.
I ended up taking all the valves out and cleaning it myself. I was peeved!! Some of the peen marks were not even on target! The best part was it seemed as though the peening was done after the decking so there were these jagged metal bits sticking up. I had to take it back and have them clean it up.
And...this place was recommended by several people :(. I could go on and on, but will spare everyone.
DSC_0191.JPG
DSC_0192.JPG

Last edited:
Some serious cleaning has been done now. In the previous post I had taped up the ports and everything, not sure what I was thinking.
To clean I used different wire wheels on a drill, dental picks, vinegar and brake clean.
DSC_0228.JPG
DSC_0229.JPG
DSC_0230.JPG
DSC_0231.JPG

Nice. You can sure pay too much for work that really just takes patience and time. Im usually short of both mind you. Might think of putting a coat of permatex copper spray on your head as I can see machine marks just from your pics. Is it smooth or can you feel the machining?

Hey that is great to hear. I just buttoned up an engine I did the head on and retorqued it after a few warm up cycles and all were tight. I'm a little paranoid about head gaskets and torque as I've had issues in the past.

I decided to hand lap the valves as there was some minor pitting to clean up. This was decided after speaking to another engine rebuild shop.
Before and after pictures are below, not sure if the after picture is of the same valves in the before picture, but at least you get the idea. I had never done this before, but it was very easy to do. In post #226 you can see that the valve seats are all done by the light gray finish on them.
20150516_122047.jpg
DSC_0232.JPG

After the valves were all lapped up all the grit was cleaned out. I should mention that I ran a tap through every threaded hole on the cylinder head.
I was finally able to begin painting. Of course after the painting was done I realized I forgot to cover that one headbolt hole :bang:.
20150518_131439.jpg
20150518_145436.jpg

When I painted the block a few years back I could not get to the top because I never removed the cylinder head, so of course that had to be done too. All the headbolt holes were cleaned very thoroughly with a tap, brake clean and air. Once the headbolt holes were cleaned I threaded a headbolt in every single hole by hand to make sure they all went in smoothly.
20150522_103312.jpg

Injector seats and gaskets on two left injector holes are installed, only the gasket is installed on the right to show the difference.
Plastikote engine primer, paint and clear coat were used. Has worked well for me so far and that is what I did the block with.
DSC_0240.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom