Jzilla's custom center console, with a question or two... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
fawcusfitness.com
So I am in the process of making a center console/security box. It is kind of like the tuffy and smittybilt, but I am doing my own thing.

Mine is built from about 14 gauge steel, 12 inches high, 8 inches wide, 12 inches long (that is just the box). Going to add cupholders to the rear and possibly to the front. I have a piano hinge for the lid, trying to figure out what lock to use... Was thinking a cam lock? The one on the tuffy looks nice, I wonder where they get it from?

I will try and post a picture or two later today, I know these threads are no fun without pics!

This thing seems pretty large, I was wondering if it is too deep? I might get lost in there trying to dig things out! I thought about welding in a divider, have also thought about cutting it in half horizontally so that I would have one compartment hinge on top of the bottom one (that is a lot more work though and I don't really want to go there right now, bunch of other projects to do).
Anyways, for those of you that have the tuffy and smittybilt, do you find things get lost in there? Do you have dividers?
I thought I could probably put some of my tools in there...hmm

I have an 8" wide Tuffy, the non-radio one (model 012). It's 12 inches deep, 15 inches long at the top, and 20 inches long at the bottom -- a lot of space. It's got a small oddments tray at the top for sunglasses or the like.

I have a small Pelican case I use to keep all my charger cords and data cords for phone, GPS, laptop and the like. Right now everything else is just in a jumble at the bottom, so some dividers or other form of organization sounds like a good idea.

Thanks I will look into those places.
I got the lid basically done, there is angle iron all around the lid except where the piano hinge is, this way the lid overlaps the box and cannot be pried open. Tacked the hinge on, but I have to play around with it a bit more before I weld it on for good.
Will try to get some pics tomorrow!
J

I have the non-radio Tuffy and really like it. I will admit that it is a jumble of stuff in there, but with room to spare. What I like is the times when the wife says "will you lock the car, I don't want to carry my purse". And, I say "just throw the whole damn thing in the Tuffy and lock it!" I'd say, if you decide to subdivide it, don't break it into half and destroy the ability to lock something rather large in it.

Trying to decide what to do for a lock still, maybe a pad lock with a cover welded over it so that bolt cutters cannot be used would be best? All the cam locks I have seen look ok, but not sure how secure they are... be nice to get that lock and latch set-up that tuffy uses!
Lid is now welded to piano hinge, rear cupholders almost complete.
Pics tomorrow hopefully!

Might want to check out southco on the locks, they have some nice stuff really... Lockable cams I'll use on my rear cargo panels I'm building!

Finally a picture! Tomorrow I am going to add a front cupholder and a compartment inside as well as a couple side compartments on the outside, still have to pick up a lock.
Also will be adding one 12 volt lighter receptacle to the front. May add a light to the inside too...
IMG_1713.jpg

If you find a door lock that will work you can have it re-keyed to your current key.

Yeah, well I just learned on my own, it is possible!
Should have the lock in tomorrow I hope, then I have to weld on a handle for the lid.
Once that is done I plan to prime it then have it rhinolined....

Impressive, certainly looks theft-proof! Will look nice when its got paint. You just gave me an idea
I'm going to think over as I consider building one.

Looking good. I was wondering what you had planned for a coating. Are you going smooth or textured?

Good question, I had not thought of that...I had my oil pan and battery trays done smooth and they look good. Textured would be cool though, it would hide any imperfections more. hmm...
Another thought I had, I think I will add a slot inside for mapbooks, will have to see if I can make it fit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom