Just rebuilt carb, gas leak help (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Chad717, did you do the paperclip test to make sure the secondary diaghragm is opening. I don’t see that valve going bad from just removing it and putting it back on for a rebuild. Gas in middle of sight glass..linkages not hanging up..secondary butterfly valves closed in bore when not being pushed open..linkage adjusted properly to start pushing secondary linkage at the right time..cooling fan kicking on..
Seems there are more things to investigate before modifying the valve.

@LAMBCRUSHER I was nodding up and down with you till the last sentence, carbs were my #1 spot in the favorites list till recently, now #2 right behind the VB and A440

I was simply summing up their actual function. carbs suck. it's what they do...

primus sucks, as well. for those who don't know...

@Chad717, did you do the paperclip test to make sure the secondary diaghragm is opening. I don’t see that valve going bad from just removing it and putting it back on for a rebuild. Gas in middle of sight glass..linkages not hanging up..secondary butterfly valves closed in bore when not being pushed open..linkage adjusted properly to start pushing secondary linkage at the right time..cooling fan kicking on..
Seems there are more things to investigate before modifying the valve.

@LAMBCRUSHER I was nodding up and down with you till the last sentence, carbs were my #1 spot in the favorites list till recently, now #2 right behind the VB and A440

I haven't done the paperclip test, I will have to research this. Gas is in the middle, linkages all feel pretty smooth. Need to check that the secondaries are closed. Cooling fan is working great. My main issue right now is fixing the gas leak. I don't want to run around with gas leaking on the manifold.

primus sucks, as well. for those who don't know...
Stupid auto correct changing rocks to sucks...my name is mud.

Edit...it’s early for my brain...I remember

I haven't done the paperclip test, I will have to research this. Gas is in the middle, linkages all feel pretty smooth. Need to check that the secondaries are closed. Cooling fan is working great. My main issue right now is fixing the gas leak. I don't want to run around with gas leaking on the manifold.

FWIW, that valve will only ever leak out the amount of fuel that still in the circuits column following a secondary operation. So whatever fits into a .010" hole that is about 2" long...only a few drops at most. the fact that you had a leak there points to having had the secondary open and pulling fuel immediately prior to seeing the leak... HTH

Stupid auto correct changing rocks to sucks...my name is mud.

Edit...it’s early for my brain...I remember

were you the guy 2 rows up who got on his chair to yell at everyone for saying they sucked? dude, I totally LOLed.

FWIW, that valve will only ever leak out the amount of fuel that still in the circuits column following a secondary operation. So whatever fits into a .010" hole that is about 2" long...only a few drops at most. the fact that you had a leak there points to having had the secondary open and pulling fuel immediately prior to seeing the leak... HTH

So I understand the paperclip test, but what you are saying is that I probably wouldn't be seeing fuel leak there unless the secondary was operating. That makes sense to me. I did drive it for about an hour, trying to simulate all different conditions from 60 mph cruising to WOT acceleration, to climbing steep paved roads.

However, I will say it seemed like a good amount of gas, you can't really tell from the pic, but maybe because i had several instances of WOT so it was an accumulation of gas.

Oh, I'm not saying not to plug that plunger. you should plug that plunger. definitely plug that plunger...

Hmm. Personally plugging it is extreme. Why not bend the actuator the way they explained and try it fir a week? It’s really not that much gas... I’m not doubting you but maybe the gas isn’t coming from where you think? I wouldn’t hyjack the Aisan carb just yet. I have two extras in my possession at this point both w/ blown boots and the one on my truck is complete. But to go wrecking a part that you can’t replace at all?

I've had my slow-cut valve plugged for years because it was leaking and it doesn't take much gas to start a fire. It makes no performance difference and I still pass smog in Kalif. It was a mild smog component on these carbs and disabling it just makes your carb more like what the rest of the world got. Since it's NLA you can either run it leaking, plug, or find a good one or downgrade to a different brand carb if you're smog-free.

Hmm. Personally plugging it is extreme. Why not bend the actuator the way they explained and try it fir a week? It’s really not that much gas... I’m not doubting you but maybe the gas isn’t coming from where you think? I wouldn’t hyjack the Aisan carb just yet. I have two extras in my possession at this point both w/ blown boots and the one on my truck is complete. But to go wrecking a part that you can’t replace at all?

The leaking valve is in effect wrecked when the boot comes apart... there’s
Only one way to stop that hazard. Plug that valve if it leaks. As long as you don’t block the vac passages of the carb you’re good. Plugging valve=not bad; leaking gas=bad.

I completely understand this. However, I'm all for getting a gas leak fixed, and it seems this is a reasonable fix since a SSCV is NLA. However, for now I did realize I had an extra carb downstairs so I robbed the SSCV off of that one and put it on the truck. I only got a chance to drive it for about 15 min to the store and back, but it was not leaking when I got back to the house so that is good. Right now I am really just enjoying driving the truck as well!!! I just got to get it through emissions sometime this week. Not holding my breath on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom