Just purchased a 2006 Lexus LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone!
Living in the northeast it has been difficult to find such an old truck without rust. Luckily I happened to come across a beautifully maintained lx470 and a dealership that prides it’s self on rust maintenance and rust free cars. Anyway, I hope to enjoy this truck for years to come and possibly put some slight off-road additions. Please, Feel free to show off your rigs and any suggestions you have for upgrades. Is it even ok to post my LX in a land cruiser forum? Lol. Here’s my new pride and joy. Larry

8984FA5B-56D8-4184-8C91-8C9222525AE4.jpeg

Shame it's not fully equipped, but owning an 06 or 07 is living the dream. Congrats.

Last edited:
Good looking rig. I had requested some pics of it and saw they had already applied some rust undercoating. Great service history on this truck for sure. Best of luck!

How hard did you haggle, that salesman doesn't look too happy
Lol not hard enough. I haggled on my trade in value but he wouldn’t budge on the price. I have an Audi A6 2012 with 60k miles. So I just paid the difference of the trade. This LX is 142k miles and really clean.
You planning on putting an undercarriage treatment on it to keep it free of rust?
I hope to do that every fall. I need to keep this truck in tip top shape. If you guys know any pros who do this near NYC please let me know.
Good looking rig. I had requested some pics of it and saw they had already applied some rust undercoating. Great service history on this truck for sure. Best of luck!
Have you seen this truck before ?
Welcome! There are lots of LXs on this forum. These trucks are pretty capable in their stock form. Removing the running boards is a good start.
Thanks for the advice. What would you add for some light off-roading. Would you start with some rock rails? Tires? Lift?

I’d drive it as is and figure out what the limitations of the truck are based on the type of trails you run and your driving skills and tailor your mods towards your needs.
How do I do that? Isn’t there a minimum amount of mod I need to go off-road? I am in the northeast so there are not many trails. I could use some guidance. However I am in no rush to mod. Little at a time.

Lol not hard enough. I haggled on my trade in value but he wouldn’t budge on the price. I have an Audi A6 2012 with 60k miles. So I just paid the difference of the trade. This LX is 142k miles and really clean.

Wait ... you turned in a 2012 Audi A6 with 60K miles and you had to add funds to it? I would have thought the Audi's resale would be about even with this 2006 model LX. Could you share how much did you have to add?

How do I do that? Isn’t there a minimum amount of mod I need to go off-road? I am in the northeast so there are not many trails. I could use some guidance. However I am in no rush to mod. Little at a time.
yes tires, get some 33", you already have a 2" lift on demand because you chose lx.

Wait ... you turned in a 2012 Audi A6 with 60K miles and you had to add funds to it? I would have thought the Audi's resale would be about even with this 2006 model LX. Could you share how much did you have to add?
The dealer trade in rate went for about 13k (at most for my car). Unfortunately, I couldn’t talk them down below 17k. The Audi depreciates vastly. I could sell it privately for 17k which would be about the same as the Lexus. But it’s not an easy sale. They start to have problems and are very expensive to maintain after 60k. The dealer seemed to know the sellability of the truck.

I guess what I am asking about in terms of upgrades is if any upgrade needs to happen before other upgrades? Do I have to change my brakes to get a lift? Do I need new suspension to add weight to the car? Etc.
Also, what is the recommended armor for these rigs, both on the bumpers and underneath?

Have you seen this truck before ?

Yes I had contacted the dealer about thet truck and requested some extra pictures. Unfortunately for me the dealer had already applied their own undercoating on the truck before I could see pictures of the bare frame and components underneath. It has an amazing service history and I believe it has a brand new brake booster assembly that was dealer installed. Per the service records it seemed the truck was traded in because of some brake issues, and the lexus dealer replaced the whole assembly and must of sold the truck after.

Best of luck, I won't lie I am kind of regretting not hopping on it!!!

The dealer trade in rate went for about 13k (at most for my car). Unfortunately, I couldn’t talk them down below 17k. The Audi depreciates vastly. I could sell it privately for 17k which would be about the same as the Lexus. But it’s not an easy sale. They start to have problems and are very expensive to maintain after 60k. The dealer seemed to know the sellability of the truck.

I guess what I am asking about in terms of upgrades is if any upgrade needs to happen before other upgrades? Do I have to change my brakes to get a lift? Do I need new suspension to add weight to the car? Etc.
Also, what is the recommended armor for these rigs, both on the bumpers and underneath?

If you are planning on some light off roading in the NY / NJ area I would recommend:

1. A good all terrain tire. Stock size is fine because you do not need to recalibrate the speedo.
2. Remove running boards
3. Add rock rails

Anything else beyond this is for more extreme trails and may affect on road performance.

I prioritize rock rails because if you use them once they pay for themselves. They protect your body as you climb over an obstacle and make sure when you come back down the rock doesn't land in your doors. Also, protects things underneath like AHC and brake lines.

All good advice here. You can also buy these:

Very popular product here. I ran these for a while until I got a steel rear bumper.

Yes I had contacted the dealer about thet truck and requested some extra pictures. Unfortunately for me the dealer had already applied their own undercoating on the truck before I could see pictures of the bare frame and components underneath. It has an amazing service history and I believe it has a brand new brake booster assembly that was dealer installed. Per the service records it seemed the truck was traded in because of some brake issues, and the lexus dealer replaced the whole assembly and must of sold the truck after.

Best of luck, I won't lie I am kind of regretting not hopping on it!!!
When did you go look at it? It has only been available since March or so. The under carriage seems clean. I crawled under and didn’t see any missing chunks. However, maybe I didn’t give it a close enough look?
If you are planning on some light off roading in the NY / NJ area I would recommend:

1. A good all terrain tire. Stock size is fine because you do not need to recalibrate the speedo.
2. Remove running boards
3. Add rock rails

Anything else beyond this is for more extreme trails and may affect on road performance.

I prioritize rock rails because if you use them once they pay for themselves. They protect your body as you climb over an obstacle and make sure when you come back down the rock doesn't land in your doors. Also, protects things underneath like AHC and brake lines.
Seems like that will be my first move. Looking at k02 and possibly slee rock sliders. Any recommendations? Do I need better suspension to add armor? I’m considering some aluminum skid plates. Any recommendations? I’m worried the steel will add to much weight.
All good advice here. You can also buy these:

Very popular product here. I ran these for a while until I got a steel rear bumper.
Cool. But what is the purpose of these?

When did you go look at it? It has only been available since March or so. The under carriage seems clean. I crawled under and didn’t see any missing chunks. However, maybe I didn’t give it a close enough look?

I went and saw it in mid August. Yea, they listed it in March for 21k were slowing decreasing the price through the year. I was not trying to scare you at all, it looked like a really nice truck. I myself was just looking to see the bare underside before a coating was put on. So I can be the one to put the coating on myself, or just have it oiled a few times a year.

Seems like that will be my first move. Looking at k02 and possibly slee rock sliders. Any recommendations? Do I need better suspension to add armor? I’m considering some aluminum skid plates. Any recommendations? I’m worried the steel will add to much weight.

Cool. But what is the purpose of these?

I did metal tech sliders when they were on sale.

Skids are good but sliders are a must in my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom