Just got a LJ70, have some questions about an EGT valve tube (needs replacement) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi IH8Mud!

This is one of my first posts here...so glad to join this community. I just purchased a 1987 LJ70 that was a Spanish car imported in 2018 off of Cars and Bids (Doug DeMuro's new website). It is a LJ70LV-MNXW, 2LT Turbo Diesel.

I took it offroading yesterday and noticed some things I could fix quickly in the engine bay , if you look at the photo there is about a 4 to 5 inch tube connecting to the Exhaust Gas Temperature Valve - any recommendations on where I could order this online along with the mesh covering around it?

It came loose while offroading and I stopped by at an O'Reilly's to tighten it down with zipties...

EGR line 2.jpg

EGR line1.jpg

Sorry for this potential simple question - I really love the vehicle so far! My only other vehicle is a 2006 Mitsubishi Evo IX.

LJ70.jpg

Thank you so much in advance!!

@LJ70Evolution - Welcome to the Forum! That hose is just a simple vacuum hose. Just match up the size with whatever they sell at Pep Boys or AutoZone. It will last you another 5 plus years at least. Don't worry about the sleeve. That hose to tee goes to your high and low pressure sensor lights for the Turbo Boost. My 1989 is from Spain as well. I still have my "Transito" sticker on the windshield from Espana. Hope to see you on the trails one day. PM me if you have any questions. Enjoy the LJ!

D00186CC-AB96-476F-B79E-CE308D132D29.jpeg

E09DB882-066F-4163-844E-E007BDC0454D.jpeg

@LJ70Evolution - Welcome to the Forum! That hose is just a simple vacuum hose. Just match up the size with whatever they sell at Pep Boys or AutoZone. It will last you another 5 plus years at least. Don't worry about the sleeve. That hose to tee goes to your high and low pressure sensor lights for the Turbo Boost. My 1989 is from Spain as well. I still have my "Transito" sticker on the windshield from Espana. Hope to see you on the trails one day. PM me if you have any questions. Enjoy the LJ!

Thank you so much! I figured that as much that it is a simple vacuum hose so I just ordered some yesterday after measuring it!

That's sweet that you also have a 1989, such a sweet color that you have!

Out of curiosity on the Turbo Boost - I heard that it goes to orange at 13 psi , or is there a temperature threshold?

Do you avoid going into the orange as much as possible? Curious as to how you do highway driving since whenever I'm at about 70mph in 5th gear, me pressing on the throttle a little bit causes that thing to go off.

Thank you so much!

You will get different opinions here. I have always tried kept it below 3000 RPM in 5th gear. Right around 100kmph. If I'm feeling crazy maybe 3200 RPM... but generally I keep it below 3000RPM on the highway.. and yes people do get pissed driving behind you, so I generally try to take the state roads versus the interstates.

As far as turbo boost... it should max out around 10-11 psi. Red Light comes on about 9.5 - 10 psi. Green Light comes on at 1.6 psi. My Red Light only comes on if I'm on a really steep climb. Or very long climb at higher altitudes.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
From this forum post I understand that this vacuum line effects the turbo boost dash gauge — thanks! What I need help with is where the line links to opposite of the T. Please see photo.

VacuumLine.jpg

VacuumLine.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom