Joined the 62 club! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve been slack posting updates in this thread, can’t believe I haven’t added anything since May! Still loving the 62 and continuing to make improvements, I’ll highlight a few of the more meaningful ones below:

Over the summer and into the fall I tackled the fairly common “rough idle”. The 62 was also intermittently slow to start when cold, not always but frequent enough to be annoying. My idle was only rough when warm, once warm the idle would fluctuate between 550-800 RPMs and actually stalled out a few times. Some days it was worse than others, not very consistent. After a fair amount of reading I started addressing the likely culprits. Phase 1 was new air intake tubing from @Racer65 and new plugs and wires.

Those things helped a little but didn’t fix the issue. I replaced the water temp sensor and again things got better but didn’t completely improve. I finally let my mechanic take a look and he found several vacuum leaks, once addressed the idle improved immensely but still not perfect.

The battery cables appeared original and the battery was several years old so I decided to address that variable as well. I got a new set of cables from @Fourrunner and upgraded to a Group 27 Duralast Gold battery. I can’t say enough good things about Mark’s cables, great quality and absolutely improved idle/starting consistency. I ended up ordering a kit for my 40 over the holidays and noticed an even bigger improvement on that cruiser!

The final piece of the puzzle was cleaning the cold start injector, it had a fair amount of buildup but a thorough cleaning with carb cleaner had it looking new again. Starting quickness and consistency is now amazing, very pleased! I also feel like this helped the idle smoothness a bit but not sure that really makes sense?

Along the way I also checked out the idle air control valve (mine was super clean, still cleaned it but didn’t make a difference) and read a ton about measuring and adjusting the TPS but never ended up needing to touch it.

The 62 is running like a top now, starts quickly every time and idles smoothly. Not a lot of great pics from this project but I’ll add a few.

IMG_6083.jpeg

IMG_6085.jpeg

IMG_7112.jpeg

IMG_7114.jpeg

IMG_7529.jpeg

The 62 came with aftermarket speakers and a very basic Clarion headunit. Things sounded OK but there was plenty of room for improvement. I added some Kicker speakers that several guys on Mud have been pleased with, they definitely improved music quality but the head unit was the weak link.

After a lot of research I waited until Sony released the XAV-9000ES this past fall. It’s an awesome headunit with wireless Apple CarPlay, great screen clarity and elaborate equalizer adjustments. Honestly it’s overkill for my 62 but I wanted it and couldn’t be happier! The speakers sound 10x better with this unit compared to the old Clarion, before installing I was considering a separate amp for the door speakers but I don’t need one now. It’s also a very clean and subtle looking unit so it doesn’t look too out of place in a cruiser from 1989!

I also added Lloyds mats throughout, they look great and are very functional. Lots of guys run them on here so didn’t try to break the mold, another happy customer.

IMG_5239.jpeg

IMG_5243.jpeg

IMG_6096.jpeg

IMG_5236.jpeg

IMG_5237.jpeg

After almost a year of running clear glass on the 62 I decided it was time to put some film back on the windows. I love the look without tint but no question it gets hotter inside. I wanted to make things more comfortable for the family when all 4 of us are cruising!

I talked with my local tint guy and we decided to go with Llumar Air80 - I wanted the windows to remain as clear as possible but still have the protection of ceramic tint. @wngrog has posted several examples of 3M crystalline 70 and it looks great (actually offers a bit more heat protection than Air80 since it’s darker) but I really wanted to keep my business local so 3M wasn’t an option. I could only find two examples of Air80 on the forum so hopefully this post will be helpful to someone else down the road.

He tinted everything but the windshield, I wanted to leave that clear. Really pleased with how it turned out, in direct sunlight the tint is almost unnoticeable. In lower light conditions it’s a little more obvious the glass is tinted but looks like a natural factory tint to me. Air80 has a bluish tone instead of the traditional charcoal, pretty subtle but definitely looks unique and fits the 1980s vibe of the 60 series.

Just a few days in but I can definitely tell a reduction in the amount of heat coming into the 60, drove the 40 right afterward yesterday and there was a lot more heat coming thru those windows. I’ll know more when summer time rolls back around but I figure this can only help!

IMG_7825.jpeg

IMG_7822.jpeg

IMG_7823.jpeg

IMG_7826.jpeg

Last edited:
So clean! I think last summer might have to be the end of my no-tint era.
Summertime in eastern NC can get pretty brutal, I’m good about putting a sunshade behind the windshield during the day at work but with no tint it didn’t help much - hoping this makes a noticeable improvement!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom