Joined the 62 club! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tires went on today, will post a more thorough review of my setup soon but the short and sweet summary is I absolutely could not be more pleased - comfort, handling and aesthetics are all perfect in my opinion. Really excited with how nicely this project has come together!

169814AD-A0F4-4FD0-B388-F034F8030317.jpeg

812E845B-C6FE-41DB-8074-444A436E5A79.jpeg

I mentioned a few weeks ago I didn’t think replacing the expansion valve solved my AC issues and unfortunately I was correct. I won’t rehash everything here but if your system isn’t cooling properly and the AC compressor is cycling too quickly because your low pressure switch is shutting it off check out this thread - ended up being a ruptured AC drier and clogged system for me:

I’ve had the 62 back for a week and AC is working like a charm, with 2 young kids and clear glass this will make the summer a lot more enjoyable!

Switching gears I got an exciting delivery from FedEx Wednesday as the majority of my Dobinsons IMS suspension kit was delivered (front shocks are back ordered). Big thanks to Jason @Ozark cruiser for all his help! I wanted the light duty front springs but the 7L’s were in stock so I just pulled the 3rd leaf and now have 6L front springs. I took a page out of @wngrog playbook and got some 4 degree caster shims from @orangefj45 (added some to my 40 a few months ago and it made a world of difference).

Front shocks will hopefully be delivered in a few weeks and then I’ll get everything installed, should be a huge upgrade from the 34 year old springs I’m riding on right now! Planning to add 33x10.50 KO2’s once the lift is installed, not the most unique tire choice but I’ve always been a BFG fan and it’s hard to beat the look of white letters out on a 62. Hopefully I’ll have some suspension updates soon!

View attachment 3286895
I'm just about to install this exact kit except mine didn't come with the 4* spacer on top of the 2 spring packs. Is that an add-on item you chose or?

I'm just about to install this exact kit except mine didn't come with the 4* spacer on top of the 2 spring packs. Is that an add-on item you chose or?
I got the caster shims from Valley Hybrids, running the same ones on my 40 - they’re awesome. I installed them on my spring packs ahead of time, one less thing for the shop to have to do.

I also got the rear center bolt spacers from ManAFre and extended sway bar links from Cruiser Outfitters. Everything else came with the Dobinsons Kit.

You’ll love this suspension, it’s a great setup!!

I got the caster shims from Valley Hybrids, running the same ones on my 40 - they’re awesome. I installed them on my spring packs ahead of time, one less thing for the shop to have to do.

I also got the rear center bolt spacers from ManAFre and extended sway bar links from Cruiser Outfitters. Everything else came with the Dobinsons Kit.

Thanks for the quick reply! I've heard great things so far about this kit so I'm excited to get it installed.
I've got the center bolt spacers and sway bar links but don't have the shims. Are they required or personal preference?

Fwiw we stock 100% of those parts @ Cruiser Outfitters. If your OME or Dobinsons suspension kit came from us we include them complimentary (send us a note if they did not). Otherwise they are all available for individual order too!
1 x SUSCW4PAIR - Steel Caster/Pinion Wedge/Shim - 4° (Pair) - 2.75" Wide
1 x SUS60FSWAY - Front Extended Sway Bar Kit (we have the rear for late 6x's as well, part# SUS60RSWAY)
2 x OMECBS01 - Center Bolt Spacer (not yet on CruiserTeq, call to order)

Thanks for the quick reply! I've heard great things so far about this kit so I'm excited to get it installed.
I've got the center bolt spacers and sway bar links but don't have the shims. Are they required or personal preference?
Not required, sounds like most are happier with them installed from what I’ve read. The Dobinsons shackles are longer than stock so you lose caster when the kit is installed, the shims help to regain it and probably add a little over stock. Different application but it was a night and day difference when I installed them on my 40 with OME suspension, tracks much better down the road with less “wandering”.

Fwiw we stock 100% of those parts @ Cruiser Outfitters. If your OME or Dobinsons suspension kit came from us we include them complimentary (send us a note if they did not). Otherwise they are all available for individual order too!
1 x SUSCW4PAIR - Steel Caster/Pinion Wedge/Shim - 4° (Pair) - 2.75" Wide
1 x SUS60FSWAY - Front Extended Sway Bar Kit (we have the rear for late 6x's as well, part# SUS60RSWAY)
2 x OMECBS01 - Center Bolt Spacer (not yet on CruiserTeq, call to order)
For what it’s worth I tried to get the center bolt spacers from you guys when I bought the extended sway bar end links and was told they’re only available when you buy the whole kit to keep inventory balanced. Completely understand the logic but that’s why I went with another vendor, not sure if this is your normal policy and I just tried at a bad time.

For what it’s worth I tried to get the center bolt spacers from you guys when I bought the extended sway bar end links and was told they’re only available when you buy the whole kit to keep inventory balanced. Completely understand the logic but that’s why I went with another vendor, not sure if this is your normal policy and I just tried at a bad time.

Depends on inventory levels, I think we just had a bunch of back-ordered ones from Australia arrive so we have plenty again. When stock is low, they all get allotted to complete suspensions systems. That way we are not holding or unable to fulfill complete suspension orders because we sold loose bushings. Right now it shows we have 100+ avail.

Almost a month in with the Dobinsons IMS kit installed and still loving it after putting a few hundred miles on the new setup! I wanted to follow up on a few details that I had trouble finding when getting this kit installed that I hope will help others:

-I did not reinstall the metal C brackets or rubber isolator pads in the rear, just used some center bolt spacers so the leaf pack is in direct contact with the rear axle. Everything feels nice and solid with this setup, not saying the other way is wrong but this makes more sense to me.
-About a week after install I removed the small spacer leaf from the top of the drivers side rear spring pack to raise that corner a little more (the spacer leafs come on the bottom of the spring pack, I moved mine to the top to lessen the rear lift slightly). I left the spacer on the passenger side. Even with the left/right specific rear springs I had some cruiser lean, with the spacer on the passenger side leaf pack only I’ve got about 1/4-1/2” of lean depending on where I’m parked - it was almost 3/4” before removing the drivers side spacer leaf.
-With the 33’s installed my ground to fender measurement is about 37 3/8” on the drivers side and 37 3/4” on the passenger side both front and rear, again this varies slightly depending on where I’m parked and how full my gas tank is. I have a full sized spare underneath. With equal fender height measurements there is a subtle rake but honestly the cruiser sits pretty close to level, this also gives me a little wiggle room to load up with gear or tow my utility trailer without the rear squatting too much. If you re-install the factory metal C bracket and top rubber isolator the rear will sit lower. This kit has a lot less rake than most of the OME setups I’ve seen. I gained just over 4” going from stock suspension on 31’s to my new setup.
-I got the 7 leaf front springs and removed a leaf on each side to soften the ride and lessen the lift (the springs are the same price as the 6 leaf, seems like a smart thing to do in case you add a bumper in the future, etc and need to change spring rate). I’ve considered adding the 7th leaf back just on the front drivers side to help with the lean (I run an extra leaf front and rear on the drivers side of my 40 for the same reason) but I don’t know that it’s worth the hassle for the minor difference in height. I’ll report back if I do it.
-I made a 2” LSPV spacer with some pipe nipples and longer bolts from Lowe’s, cheap and easy and rear braking doesn’t feel any worse after the lift.
-I don’t know how this kit feels without 4 degree caster shims but I will say with the shims it tracks great down the road and doesn’t wander at all, steering quickly returns to center. I’ve read a few reviews from guys who didn’t install shims that felt like there wasn’t enough caster after switching to the longer front Dobinsons shackles.

That’s all I can think of right now, hopefully that’s helpful info for someone in the future!

IMG_4881.jpeg

IMG_4884.jpeg

IMG_4885.jpeg

IMG_4888.jpeg

IMG_4890.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe the 62 exhaust is different but I noticed at the rear drivers side where the exhaust is that the new shackles will not clear the factory tail pipe.
Here is my setup with the factory shackle.
IMG_4365.jpeg

Did you have to make any modifications to your exhaust?

Maybe the 62 exhaust is different but I noticed at the rear drivers side where the exhaust is that the new shackles will not clear the factory tail pipe.
Here is my setup with the factory shackle.
View attachment 3327790
Did you have to make any modifications to your exhaust?
I didn’t have any clearance issues on my 62, I believe this is the factory exhaust setup I’ve got but I don’t know that for 100% fact - sure looks factory.

IMG_4940.jpeg

Mine is stock for sure. Maybe it depends on year? Mine is an 88. Also yours seems to be bolted which may help you move it away from shackle where mine is welded/ non movable.

IMG_5073.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks lo
Mine is stock for sure. Maybe it depends on year? Mine is an 88. Also yours seems to be bolted which may help you move it away from shackle where mine is welded/ non movable.

View attachment 3328038
Looks like you’ve got more clearance than @schuy2147 with the factory setup on your 88 but I agree with you - mine looks more offset than the examples I just compared with on BaT and the bolt on bracket might be the dead give away. My 89 had factory suspension/shackles when I bought it and the shop that installed my suspension kit didn’t alter the exhaust but it appears it may have been modified at some point. Haven’t read of anyone else having clearance issues with the Dobinsons shackles, I know @wngrog has installed these on multiple 60s and I don’t think he’s had to re-route the exhaust. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Friday had all the makings of a perfect day to spend in the shop doing cruiser projects - the wife was out of town, kids in school and it was pouring down rain. Didn’t really have a great project on the to-do list so I decided to install the 7th leaf on my drivers side front leaf pack and try to eliminate my mild cruiser lean. It went smoothly, got everything buttoned back up and drove it the rest of the weekend.

The results? A dead level cruiser with absolutely no cruiser lean, a true thing of beauty 😂. The drivers side front corner came up about 1/2” so now both front fenders are at exactly 37 3/4”. The drivers side rear actually came up slightly as well, I guess due to having more support on that side from the front leafs? Both rears fenders are right around 37 1/2” now, so front to back stance looks great to my eye.

I really can’t tell a difference in ride quality, the drivers side front corner has to be a little stiffer with the extra leaf but the difference is honestly imperceptible. I’ve run an extra leaf on the drivers side both front and rear on my 40 for over a year with no ill effects. It’s a subtle change in height but I can really tell a difference both the stance and sitting the drivers seat, so nice to not feel or see that slight lean driving down the road.

Every cruiser is different but to sum it up my final recipe to get the perfect stance and no lean was:
-7L drivers side front, 6L passenger side front
-7L rear springs installed side specific with the spacer on top of the passenger leaf pack only

IMG_4921.jpeg

IMG_4934.jpeg

IMG_4935.jpeg

IMG_4945.jpeg

Friday had all the makings of a perfect day to spend in the shop doing cruiser projects - the wife was out of town, kids in school and it was pouring down rain. Didn’t really have a great project on the to-do list so I decided to install the 7th leaf on my drivers side front leaf pack and try to eliminate my mild cruiser lean. It went smoothly, got everything buttoned back up and drove it the rest of the weekend.

The results? A dead level cruiser with absolutely no cruiser lean, a true thing of beauty 😂. The drivers side front corner came up about 1/2” so now both front fenders are at exactly 37 3/4”. The drivers side rear actually came up slightly as well, I guess due to having more support on that side from the front leafs? Both rears fenders are right around 37 1/2” now, so front to back stance looks great to my eye.

I really can’t tell a difference in ride quality, the drivers side front corner has to be a little stiffer with the extra leaf but the difference is honestly imperceptible. I’ve run an extra leaf on the drivers side both front and rear on my 40 for over a year with no ill effects. It’s a subtle change in height but I can really tell a difference both the stance and sitting the drivers seat, so nice to not feel or see that slight lean driving down the road.

Every cruiser is different but to sum it up my final recipe to get the perfect stance and no lean was:
-7L drivers side front, 6L passenger side front
-7L rear springs installed side specific with the spacer on top of the passenger leaf pack only

View attachment 3328374

View attachment 3328375

View attachment 3328376

View attachment 3328378
Looks perfect! I’m in the garage now installing the drivers side front and have a couple questions:

1) Do you know what direction the 4 degree shim faces? Is that orientation shown in your last set of pics the way it’s installed?

2) I’m a bit confused about leaf spring direction. The directions show the spring pack clamps toward the rear of the vehicle. This is opposite of the direction the stock springs are orientated on my 60 as well as how yours seem to be installed.

IMG_4381.jpeg

Looks perfect! I’m in the garage now installing the drivers side front and have a couple questions:

1) Do you know what direction the 4 degree shim faces? Is that orientation shown in your last set of pics the way it’s installed?

2) I’m a bit confused about leaf spring direction. The directions show the spring pack clamps toward the rear of the vehicle. This is opposite of the direction the stock springs are orientated on my 60 as well as how yours seem to be installed.

View attachment 3328409
Thanks, very pleased!

1. The caster shims go thick end toward the front of the vehicle, the orientation in my photo is correct.

2. I imagine that diagram is not cruiser specific, my front springs have the two clamps in front of the axle so the opposite of what is shown in the photo. The main thing to keep in mind is the military wrap end goes on the fixed spring mount toward the middle of the vehicle, the non-military wrap end attaches to the front and rear shackles.

I have Dobinsons IMS shocks but kept my OME springs for now. My fender measurements are 361/8" rear and 36 1/2" up front. I am running 255/80R17 which is a true 33" tire. Interesting your one inch higher all around. I am guessing if I get the Dobinsons spring pack I will have even more cushion to the suspension system. I am very pleased with the IMS shocks.

I have Dobinsons IMS shocks but kept my OME springs for now. My fender measurements are 361/8" rear and 36 1/2" up front. I am running 255/80R17 which is a true 33" tire. Interesting your one inch higher all around. I am guessing if I get the Dobinsons spring pack I will have even more cushion to the suspension system. I am very pleased with the IMS shocks.
My tires and suspension have just a few hundred miles on them so this is highest my fender measurements will ever be, I imagine things will settle a bit over time. To take tires out of the equation my hub to fender measurements are about 22 1/4” up front and 22” in the rear.

I’ve got a 10 year old OME kit on my 40, I’ve thought about putting IMS shocks on it - bet it would make a big difference in ride quality. I just replaced the spring bushings last year and am happy with the height so replacing leaf springs doesn’t make a ton of sense right now given that I only drive it ~1,000 miles/year.

Definitely post some feedback if you swap out springs, would be interesting to see how much of the improved Dobinsons ride is shock vs. spring related.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom