Joined a local HAM group tonight (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been wanting to do this for some time, recently reading here and some other places pushed me to do it.

Group is very old in average age but pretty cool, seemed very helpful and are active in the local community.

Testing is free for members as well so I am starting to cram.

They are kind of pushing me to Yaesu, but I am currently partial to either the Icon ID-5100 or the Kenwood TM-D710. Still learning about each but was wondering if anyone could offer input between the two. I have a Samsung tablet I will use with it for APRS and digital, I think anyway. As I mentioned I am green but I want to get going on this. I will probably go with a Yaesu handheld but for now wanted to do mobile first.

Been wanting to do this for some time, recently reading here and some other places pushed me to do it.

Group is very old in average age but pretty cool, seemed very helpful and are active in the local community.

They are kind of pushing me to Yaesu, but I am currently partial to either the Icon ID-5100 or the Kenwood TM-D710. Still learning about each but was wondering if anyone could offer input between the two. I have a Samsung tablet I will use with it for APRS and digital, I think anyway. As I mentioned I am green but I want to get going on this. I will probably go with a Yaesu handheld but for now wanted to do mobile first.

I have several Yaesu radios and a Kenwood TM-D710; I like them all.

I would say your choice really depends on what you want to do with a dual-band radio. The ICOM has D-STAR capability, so if you want to use that particular digital mode, then you'll want the ICOM for sure. The latest models of both have built-in GPS, but the earlier Kenwood series (before "G" I think) doesn't, so if your tablet has a GPS receiver then you could save some money by buying an older model of TM-D710.

The TM-D710 is very flexible and has a sh!t-ton of menus to wade through to set up APRS and other features. I'd assume the ICOM is the same way, though I have no personal knowledge. Just be aware that both of these are feature-laden radios that are not completely "plug and play" for more than basic functions. You may want some help getting either set up, though there is lots of info on the internet about doing this.

As far as just using them for dual-band, dual receive radios, either would serve you well. I have been happy with my TM-D710E, it is a joy to use, once I got it set up for APRS and got all the repeaters I wanted programmed into it. Kenwood provides free software for bulk programming of repeater pairs, but you must buy a cable to connect the radio to a computer to use it. Well worth the cost.

In my opinion, whatever you buy is not permanent when it comes to radios. I have bought and sold many, keeps me fresh learning about different brands, nuances, etc. ID-5100 is a great truck radio too, and with icom you can get going with D-STAR. There is an Overlanding Radio group that gets together on D-STAR, you get guys from all over the world joining.
But whatever you end with, if you dont like it or get bored, you can always find a buyer. I also buy used from fellow hams, they tend to treat equipment with care.

All good radios. The Yaesu does not play well with your tablet. If your tablet has a built in GPS you do not need the 710 the V71 with a Mobilink TNC will work great. That is what I use and it has been very reliable

Timely thread. I’ve been debating between the Icom 5100 and 4100 as well as a Yaesu. I like the features of the 5100 but it’s huge compared to the 4100.

I also downloaded the Icom app and it seems well done.

Some app screen shots. I’m assuming the pic and message transfer isn’t much fun unless the rest of your group also has d-star?

AE0428B8-DE60-422A-9A6E-EFB062A68545.jpeg

D4D92FF1-3FAB-4CE6-86BA-C6B27DFBE9AB.jpeg

988FC2E8-9844-4F34-BEBD-BBB8F30E69DE.jpeg

3FF31DA9-459D-4768-A957-8FA13A31118D.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom