John, tell us your problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What are the symptoms? is your oil milky? are you having a power issue?

:popcorn:

He said it had overheated 3 times. I would pull the head and take it to the machine shop and have them look at it.

I guess he needs to find out why it was overheating, too. Otherwise, it may happen again. Also, he hasn't said why he thinks the HG is blown.

This must win for most confusing thread title ever..... I actual thought you were publically calling Johnny C out :lol:

There are 5 johns in the club.... which one are we talking about ???

This must win for most confusing thread title ever..... I actual thought you were publically calling Johnny C out :lol:

Me too man, I came in here all like
dafuq.jpg

In all seriousness, John Rives is the gentlemen to whom Terry and Darin refer. It's easy to spot who are the Facebook users and who aren't:lol:

John, what happened??

U know I'm a Facebook user, but I get so many notifications that most of the time I ignore them.

I saw the one u r talking about now, 91 fj80 overheating problem

Me too man, I came in here all like

In all seriousness, John Rives is the gentlemen to whom Terry and Darin refer. It's easy to spot who are the Facebook users and who aren't:lol:

John, what happened??

So i did my rear wheel cylinders and on the way home it over heated 3 times the mechanic messed with the distributor saying it was off but other then that got it home and had like 65 or so on cylinder 5

So i did my rear wheel cylinders and on the way home it over heated 3 times the mechanic messed with the distributor saying it was off but other then that got it home and had like 65 or so on cylinder 5

Hold on a second. Your mechanic did "something" with the motor and now it's stupid low on compression on cylinder 5?? I'd take it back and tell them they can fxxx right off, then fix the problem they introduced.

Oil in the coolant? Coolant in the oil? Low on oil or coolant? Oil in the aircleaner? Oily residue in the tailpipe?

Check those things and report back.

Hold on a second. Your mechanic did "something" with the motor and now it's stupid low on compression on cylinder 5?? I'd take it back and tell them they can fxxx right off, then fix the problem they introduced.

Oil in the coolant? Coolant in the oil? Low on oil or coolant? Oil in the aircleaner? Oily residue in the tailpipe?

Check those things and report back.

Oil in the aircleaner? Oily residue in the tailpipe? these two idk if oil but dirty crap

Dirty crap isn't necessarily a bad thing. It would be bad if there were puddles of oil in either. Lots of oil in the aircleaner could mean tons of crankcase pressure (rings pushing through pcv) and oil dripping out of the tailpipe could be rings or valve seals.

Oil in coolant or coolant in oil?

When did you do the compression test, with the motor warm or cold? Have you tried putting a couple of drops of oil into #5 and retesting?

Dirty crap isn't necessarily a bad thing. It would be bad if there were puddles of oil in either. Lots of oil in the aircleaner could mean tons of crankcase pressure (rings pushing through pcv) and oil dripping out of the tailpipe could be rings or valve seals.

Oil in coolant or coolant in oil?

When did you do the compression test, with the motor warm or cold? Have you tried putting a couple of drops of oil into #5 and retesting?

none that i can tell on these Oil in coolant or coolant in oil? and no

none that i can tell on these Oil in coolant or coolant in oil? and no

Ok, that's good. If the fluid levels are also good, then that's also good. Means that your head gasket is likely OK.

Next I'd verify the timing with a timing light. If they monkeyed with the distributer and seriously jacked timing, that might have caused a burnt valve, which would give you a low compression reading.

They didn't adjust your valves, did they? After checking the timing, I'd check your valve lash and see if any are super tight or super loose.

Ok, that's good. If the fluid levels are also good, then that's also good. Means that your head gasket is likely OK.

Next I'd verify the timing with a timing light. If they monkeyed with the distributer and seriously jacked timing, that might have caused a burnt valve, which would give you a low compression reading.

They didn't adjust your valves, did they? After checking the timing, I'd check your valve lash and see if any are super tight or super loose.

I agree with Johnny check the timing. I've poured through many dizzy/carb threads trying to fix my 40. I can't remember which but either a severly retarded or advanced timing will cause overheating issues... Just check it and make sure the bolts are tight to prevent it from migrating...

I have very little now how to do this and I can't buy y'all beer to help cause I am underage :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using IH8MUD

I have very little now how to do this and I can't buy y'all beer to help cause I am underage :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using IH8MUD

I don't have a timing light, but I'm sure someone near you does. Where do you live exactly?

The message title was perfect for asking John what was up with his rig.

John, take a deep breath, we'll help you out. I know it is frustrating as I have had to go through this twice in the last 18 months. There is a possibility that I may be able to come over on Tue afternoon/ evening and give you a hand troubleshooting. I can bring a leak down tester, too. I don't have a timing light, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom