John Deere lighting and Supplemental Low-beam (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLX - what brand name is on the bulbs you just received?

The HIR bulbs work fine with stock wiring, and they're definitely NOT the **** super white frequencies - totally normal frequencies with higher output. Highly recommended.

DougM

Hey Doug, the brand I bought are John Deere AH211917 Made in ugh...China. The markings on the light itself say:

Toshiba HIR2 12V55W
HIR_bulb.jpg

Last edited:
Have any of guys with these HIR's had any trouble with on coming traffic flashing you to turn off your brights while you have your low beams on? This happens sometimes even with the regular halogens but I mean is there an increase in the regularity of this happening with the HIR's?

I haven't had any issues either with that either, which really surprised me, because with such a significant increase in lumen output, I figured for sure that on coming traffic would hate me. But I guess with the way the DOT lens are designed and where the cut off is, it's not an issue how bright the light is, as much as where the light goes.

I have had people comment to me that were in front of me, that my lights appeared brighter to them.

I know that people have swaped in high beam bulbs into there low beam spots for increased lighting but has anyone installed all 4 hir high beams? Are there any down sides to running high beams in place of the low beams?? bulb life etc?

Search on this topic, and you'll find a lengthy thread with info. on this. As I remember, the biggest difference with the HIRs is between the stock lows and the HIR lows. The HIR highs are brighter than the stock highs, but not as large of a difference...

The tips of the low beams are blocked out while the high beams are clear bulbs 100%. Having the tip blocked out helps to control the beam pattern of the low beams. Comparing both of them side by side it looks as if the bulb is the same shape so the reflectors should work the same with either bulb installed.

I did the Daniel Stern HIR's in both high and low beams. Lows showed the most improvement with the upgrade. My Slee harness is still on the workbench. I also upgraded the brake and signal bulbs to HIR's. Not sure it that made much of a difference.

Ordered mine last night from this same guy.

Cory, have you put these in already? I have the Toshiba HIR lights too. It's brighter, but will not light the sky up to call batman or anything.

People will most likely flash because the junk is lifted thus they "think" the high beams are on and not because of the HIR's. Once I adjusted my lights, no one flashes me anymore.

Unfortunately the HIR bulbs are unavailable for E type headlamps AKA as H4 for the Low/High and H1 for the high as everybody around the world got.

But from the other side H4 and H1 bulbs cames at all kind of flavors and wattages, but usually requires a harness upgrade.

So if you could replace your headlamps with the OEM E beam pattern it could be also a great improvement (even with the OEM 55/60 W) since they have a way better beam pattern against the old SAE standard.

I compared a couple of imported from USA 80 series cruisers with our OEM E equiped 80's headlamps and ours were way better.

Of course could they pass the yearly test ? Some people told they got the certification without any problem.

Last edited:
good point corbet. I did a little more reading and realized that the bulb life on 65w high beams, HIR or not, is less than one third of that of a low beam. I wanted to have four high beams in my truck rather than 2 high and 2 low but after seeing that the highs will only last 300 hrs I think that I'm going to stick with a pair of 55w lows and a pair of 65w highs. John deere here I come!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom