James Baroud Solar Panel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In my previous BJ74, I had a solar panel setup which worked incredibly well – powering my fridge and keeping both batteries at full charge. I have missed that setup since I bought my HDJ81.

Described here: Solar Fridge

Last August we went down in Wyoming to witness the eclipse and camped along the path of maximum totality. We arrive early to reserve our camping spot and spent 3 days stationary. The others had various portable solar set-ups and I had nothing - my solar panel sitting back at home awaiting to be installed. My truck is fitted with an Engel 60 Cobi fridge and freezer. Despite the fact I ran my truck each day trying to charge the batteries – on the day of departure my truck would not start!

One reason I had delayed getting into this project is my RTT is a James Baroud ‘Space’. Although a great roof top tent – the roof is not flat and presented a problem mounting a solar panel. The roof has long aerodynamic ribs, which has the highest profile at the front. I had to mount the panel sideways to best fit the way the panel wanted to bend.

IMG_1847.JPG

The voids between the ribs I filled with closed cell foam attached with a transparent roofing sealant (-40F to 200F and 200 psi shear strength). I attached a 1/16” alloy sheet down as a flat mounting surface so in the rare event I had to replace the solar panel, I just had to cut the mounting tape I used to secure the panel to the alloy sheet. The perimeters were sealed with a white RV sealant for aesthetics.

IMG_1952.JPG

For the RTT exterior penetrations I used 3/8” right angle cable glands, which are ingress protected to IP68 (5 bar/70 psi). These required drilling a 5/8” hole which could be potentially sealed with white RV sealant if the solar panel was to be completely removed. The solar panel output leads were oriented on the LHS of the truck where the MPPT charge controller was to be located below in the passenger cab. This could be done either way.

fullsizeoutput_244.jpeg

The internal wiring was run along the inside top of the RTT and down the front strut leg and out the bottom through a single cable gland behind the roof rack tower. I used Anchor 10 gauge (tin coated copper) from the battery (fused at 15 amps) back to the charge controller on the B-pillar mounted on a 1/8th sheet of alloy to help with heat dissipation. Although a long cable run, the use of 10 gauge should result in less than a 3% voltage drop.

IMG_2057.JPG

IMG_1964.JPG
IMG_2085.JPG

I installed the Morningstar RTS (remote temperature sensor) between the battery and the charge controller, which is recommended if the batteries are remote from the charge controller. It has been my experience if the batteries are 80F or above and the charge controller is located in the AC passenger cab the batteries in the engine area will be overcharged.

When I remount the RTT I will compete the wiring connection to the charge controller and install the fuse.

Material and Equipment

Solar Panel: 100 watt – HQST-100DB panel – 42”x 21” x 0.125”.

Base: 1/16” alloy sheet with a slight break in the middle.

Void Filler: Closed cell foam

Charge Controller: Morningstar SunSaver SS-MPPT-15L.

Battery Temperature Monitoring: Morningstar RTS.

Cable: Ancor Marine 2 conductor 10 gauge.

Cable Glands: 3/8” right angle cable glands (IP68)

Sealants: Geocel ProFlex RV (white), Chemlink General Sealant,

Mounting Tape :Scotch exterior mounting Tape

I am going to Utah for 3 weeks in May and after that provide a report on performance. Once you had a solar setup it is hard to go without.

IMG_2082.JPG

IMG_E1816.JPG

IMG_2049.JPG

Last edited:
Another typical Glenn slap-dash install with zero attention to detail... :flipoff2:

Looks awesome, super nice solutions to the issues of fitting it to your RTT. How are you getting the cable from the panel into the cab to the charge controller?

G turbo, intercooler, and solar charging - killer winter upgrades for your truck this year. Yes I am green with envy!

Nice install and great documentation. This type of panel should install easily on top of the Columbus due to a flat roof. I need to ponder this for a bit as the Columbus has a nice ceiling with pleated fabric/insulation that I'd have to take that down to run wires if I go this route.

Last edited:
Finally installed the RTT on my roof and completed the exterior to interior cab wiring to the MPPT charge controller.
Marine 10 gauge from the solar panel to the charge controller to the battery.
Fused at the battery (25 amp) as per Morningstar's instructions.
IMG_2695.JPG
IMG_2697.JPG

Great write up! I suppose that from now on, the tent never leaves the roof of the truck? Or
did you in stall plugs in case of removal? I'm intrigued now, will have to look at this idea.

I disconnect the wires at the charge controller and the securing clips in the door jam and take off the RTT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom