jacking up the FJ60 your way (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I lift my 60 and my 80 by the diffs all the time, then put real tall jackstands under the frame. I put the jack right under the axle housing too depending if I want to lift straight up or not. No problems ever, I think we are underestimatiing the strength of our LC's.

The point load concern is one worth generally keeping in mind, but I do not believe that it is a problem to this application. We're talking about a bending moment in the axle housing. Whether it is applied by a jack or a rock is insignificant to the loading, but crucial to the design intent. I can not imagine that Toyota would miss such an obvious design constraint. I would expect that the constraint's value would be high enough to allow for impact loadings, which would put the essentially static loading inflicted by the jack to be well within the design's performance envelope.

Wow, what a load of overthought overwrought stuff! I jack up by the diff on one side. Insert jackstand, not on the spring plate, on axle tube. Jack up the other side. Ditto. If i"m in a hurry, I jack the whole sumbitch up by the diff. Don't be such a bunch of ninnys. You're working on a land cruiser, not a fxxxin jeep.

personally i use a length of steel I-beam and 3 ton floor jack and go from frame rail to rail just befroe the bumper and lift the back half or front half at once. makes it real easy to adjust the stands and get them set real nice.

what I'm sayin, is the damn floor jack base/wheels are ALWAYS in my way when I try to put the jack stands in place. I'm having to jack it up a few times, most times by the frame rails to get my 12k stands to sit evenly and safely. Does this description make sense?

How high does your jack lift?
I can lift from the center of the axle hsg to nearly the upper limit of my 3 ton jack stands with a HF floor jack.

I get the picture... if wasn't so lazy I walk outside and snap a pic but........ :beer::whoops::censor: I use the beam( it can be a 4x4 or something else substantial) to lift both frame rails at once with the jack centered on the beam an the beam under both frame rails

new FJ60 owner here. Bringing up an old thread. Just picked up an 87 with over 300K last week. I try to jack up the car with my 3 ton jack on the front diff, it was only tall enough to put the jack stand on pass side. I then try to jack up under the pass side spring plate. While going it up, both sway bar bracket broke and the bottom of the pass side sway endlink snap out. Am I doing something wrong? Or is just the 30 old hardware is not holding up?

It looks like the bracket pop out. It didn't look too rusted. I search around on the floor and didn't find the rubber bushing. The springs are worn out. I plan to replace it with OME kit. I'll try to order and install a new set of the bracket and brushing. Should the sway bar bracket and endlink hold the weight put on by the floor jack without breaking?

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 9.10.57 AM.png

NO NO NO... don't jack by the sway bar or bracket. Only by the bottom of the spring directly under the axle housing (#11 in the diagram), under the axle housing or under the diff. Or the frame if you have the equipment to safely do so.

ALWAYS stay out of the way when jacking - EXPECT the jack to fail or the load to slip off the jack (or jackstand). Anticipate the consequence of such a failure and make sure you are not in danger in that event.

And back to the original topic: some people have built a bracket to go on the jack. It fits up under the center of the axle and provides a level spot to jack on. It is an asymmetrical thingy that bridges between the bottom of the diff and the axle tube an equal distance off-center on the other side.

Could be this is mostly a wrong tool for the job situation.

The lift pads on floor jacks are 3" to 4". Too large to fit inside the u-bolts so a chunk of wood is used for a spacer and a source of instability.

On the other hand, a hydraulic bottle jack with a 1" diameter lift shaft fits under the spring plate with room to spare.

Thanks woytovich. The floor jack was under spring plate when the bracket broke. I saw the sway bar started to bend but was expecting it to hold on to the tension.
The truck has a leaking fuel pump and I'm waiting for the part. Car wash will be the first stop!

Mine got out like that on some hill, then made an awfull metal to metal screech so I thought the transmission failed.
No problem to rebend and replace bushings but should not have come out and I can lift the front up under spring plate.
Seems like there was no bushing at all?

The bolt can be rusted and the thread comes out on the other side so lots of oil and some cloth cleaning might keep them alive.

for rear these fit tight, but that is for a hj60:
New swaybar bushings: Sway Bar PU Bushing, Rear Suspension Land Cruiser Prado ID=19 mm 1-01-401
OEM compatibility: 48815-10090

I'll add this...if the wheels are coming off when the truck is up on jack stands, I ALWAYS stack the wheels under the vehicle and leave the jack under something solid where it's barely making contact. If s*** cuts loose your body won't be the only thing between steel and concrete.

I did my whole OME swap alone, one end at a time, and had both wheels double stacked under the front/rear bumpers. You just can't be too safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom