Jack question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.barryhause.com
I realize this isn't truly a 60 series tech question but since I'm raising my 60 I'll throw it out here and risk getting tranferred off to some other area by the thread patrol.

I am looking into buying a good floor jack. I'd just like to get some opinions on the best brand/types out there. That includes what to look for and what to avoid. What is the best extension height for 33" tires?

TIA

When I bought mine, I went to Sears. They have 'em at good prices. I didn't need a super duper model, since the thing spends most of its time sitting. I did, however, insist on a full handle, not those shorties they have out now.

I think most hydraulic jacks are imported from China. I'd prefer domestic made, but they are hard to find.

I have a sears, too. I think it would be nice to have close to 20" height, but with 33" tires (and a suspension lift?) you have a lot of space under the truck even with the wheels on the ground. My garage is small, so storage space for a jack is a concern. I also have low ceiling rafters, so even if I had more jack lift, I can't use it. If I need to unload the suspension, I jack the wheels off the ground, remove the tires, support the frame then let the axle drop. I don't get the truck way up in the air.

Don't spend all your money on a jack. Invest in good jack stands. The truck will spend much more time on the jack stands then on the jack.

Either way, make sure you get a floor jack that will get the tires off the ground. For reference, the stock bottle jack won't get 33" tires off the ground enough to change them.

Height is what I'd look for get a 24" height one. I have a steel Larkin sold at Costco. Now they only sell the aluminum ones. They are pretty nice but they lose a couple of inches. It seems like I always have mine maxed out so losing a couple of inches wouldn't be good. I agree with the full handle.

i have one of those aluminum jobs from Harbor Freight with the long handle. I got it for my racecar so it does not really have the lift that I need for the 60. I put a scrap piece of 4x4 on it and that does the trick.

X2 on spending good money on jack stands. Good jack stands will last you forever! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER trust your jack to hold the vehicle with you under it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom