I've got my hash pipe..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not a lot to report, but I have been slowly picking away at it. Figured I better do a quick update since it has been going to slowly. I'm hoping to make some significant progress in the up coming weeks. In the mean time.....a small update.

First pic is of the frame and axles sitting on the trailer after I spent the better part of an hour preasure washing dirt and grease of the frame and axles. Not exciting, but need to be done. The 2nd pic is the same thing, but after it had been hauled into the shop.

3rd pic is 3 things that I finially got off that 79 Fj40, all LHD stuff. The bell crank, mounting plate on left side frame horn and steering pedastal.
IMG00125-20110108-1655.jpg
IMG00142-20110116-1237.jpg
IMG00150-20110116-1329.jpg

RHD pedastal removed.
IMG00144-20110116-1237.jpg
IMG00149-20110116-1329.jpg

Cut out the front frame horn plate on the left side of the troopy frame.
IMG00145-20110116-1256.jpg
IMG00148-20110116-1329.jpg

Like I said, not a lot to report, but as I said...been picking away at it when I can sneak a few minutes in here and there. Sorry about the crappy pics as well, I usually have my blackberry on me and that's handy...so, that's what I have been using, only 3.2 mp.

Also thought I would throw in a pic I got from Aqualu last week, as you can see...the crate I made and troopy body is now in B.C., Canada.
IMG_4641.jpg

Also thought I would throw in a pic I got from Aqualu last week, as you can see...the crate I made and troopy body is now in B.C., Canada.

Your presentation is awesome...a little clue here, a little clue there. Nice! :popcorn:

Your presentation is awesome...a little clue here, a little clue there. Nice! :popcorn:

IN YOUR LINE OF WORK YA OUGHT TO BE ABLE TO SOLVE IT.............UNLESS YA WANT TO WATERBOARD HIM...:p:p

Got a package today from a far, far away place....the netherlands! ;p And inside was the elusive LHD center console. Oh what a site to see, and in absolutely excellent conditon! Nice and straight, no rust, with very little effort this piece will clean up perfectly!!

Thanks to a fellow mud member oversea's, he made this a reality..thank you Mark, you are the man!!!! :beer::beer::beer:

This will fit quite nicely into my plan...... :)
IMG00152-20110119-1252.jpg
IMG00151-20110119-1252.jpg
IMG00157-20110119-2024.jpg

IN YOUR LINE OF WORK YA OUGHT TO BE ABLE TO SOLVE IT.............UNLESS YA WANT TO WATERBOARD HIM...:p:p

Maybe I'm not sure yet? :p

No problem at all Matt!
I'm glad it got there in good shape.

Now go finish the 47!

Mark

Got a package today from a far, far away place....the netherlands! ;p And inside was the elusive LHD center console. Oh what a site to see, and in absolutely excellent conditon! Nice and straight, no rust, with very little effort this piece will clean up perfectly!!

Thanks to a fellow mud member oversea's, he made this a reality..thank you Mark, you are the man!!!! :beer::beer::beer:

This will fit quite nicely into my plan...... :)

From the parts in that pic, I have a good idea of what you are about to attempt, but I didn't know you could weld aluminum. Of course, even if you can't, I'm sure you will learn in about 10 minutes flat. I'm staying tuned....been thinking about a similar project myself, but I would have to sell my 45 to start it.

I love it when a plan comes together:cheers:

Josh

Seems like life has been getting in the way of the troopy, so I haven't had much of an opportunity to get much done. I decided to take the day off today and try to make some progress. I pretty much worked on it all day, although you would never know it.

I spent the majority of the day on the frame. I didn't take photo's of everything I did, but a few of the major things. First few pics are of the rear x-member on the left side. I'm assuming at some point the troopy got hung up on a rock or something in Australia and tweeked the frame up. Not sure if the pics do it justice, I took a couple of before and a couple after. Basiclly put the rosebud tip on the end of the torch and heated the top and bottom up red hot and massaged it back into position. After pics look a little burnt, but it's straight. :)
IMG_1919.jpg
IMG_1920.jpg
IMG_1921.jpg

Last edited:
4th pic of the rear x-memember.
IMG_1922.jpg

Last edited:
Welded in the front frame horn steering plate I cut out of that 79 FJ40. Nothing real special here, bolted the bell crank in prior to welding to make sure everything lined up, then welded it in hard. Very happy with how that turned out.
IMG_1923.jpg
IMG_1924.jpg

Bottom of the frame had a couple pieces of 1/2' flat stock that had been scabbed on with a stick welder at some point. I'm assuming for reinforement for the rear hitch? Either way, very crude and a major pain cutting it off. Also the rear x-member had several holes in it that I welded shut and smoothed out. Holes were from a water valve, trailer light hook up and something else I can't remember right now?
IMG_1925.jpg
IMG_1926.jpg
IMG_1927.jpg

More of the rear x-member.
IMG_1928.jpg
IMG_1929.jpg
IMG_1930.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom