Issues with starting my hj75 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Try priming the unit before starting, if it takes multiple pumps before the pump stiffens then I'd say your fuel system is compromised.
If the primer is stiff within 2 pumps then not bad.
The Quick Start is turning your engine enough to prime the fuel system.
Try getting fuel as close to the pump as possible . Use some hose, fuel container and gravity, make certain that all you fuel lines are in pristine condition.
Fuel is under vaccum and it is impossible to find a small leak visually.
Lastly try stepping on the fuel pedal while starting, some old diesels have a sweet spot.

Try priming the unit before starting, if it takes multiple pumps before the pump stiffens then I'd say your fuel system is compromised.
If the primer is stiff within 2 pumps then not bad.
The Quick Start is turning your engine enough to prime the fuel system.
Try getting fuel as close to the pump as possible . Use some hose, fuel container and gravity, make certain that all you fuel lines are in pristine condition.
Fuel is under vaccum and it is impossible to find a small leak visually.
Lastly try stepping on the fuel pedal while starting, some old diesels have a sweet spot.
Primer is rock hard every time I’ve look even when it’s hard to start still a rock hard primer

There are two kinds of glow plugs/system used on the 2H. Superglow (or something like that) that starts at 11or 12V for a short time then goes down to like 6V or something for the rest, I believe this system uses a lower volt glow plugs. The “old school “ is the early kind. I would guess it uses the 11v or 12v glow plugs. I would say that the glow plugs are burned out again would need to check again. If you go the “Wilson switch” route I would buy a spare glow plug to sacrifice, hook up the spare and time how long a glow it takes to burn it up. Then use a shorter time glowing manually. When I drove my new to my 85 HJ75 home the glow plugs were toast and the first real cold morning it took a long time cranking to get it started and then it smoked really bad for maybe 15 min before clearing up. Was able to install new ones the next day and the following morning it was cold again and it started right up.
Would you know a part number for the 12v glow plugs

Would you know a part number for the 12v glow plugs
You need the 12v-6v plugs. They start at 12v and drop back to 6v

19850-68050 *BV-GV=12V-6V, *12V-6V (11/1984 - 08/1986) 19850-68051 *BV-GV=12V-6V, *12V-6V (09/1986 - 07/1988)

Last edited:
Have you tried stepping on the fuel pedal while starting?
New glow plugs should help but pretty sure Aus is warm enough most days but make sure you swap the whole set.
You can also run a hot wire to the glow busbar if you suspect your glowplug wiring is compromised.
I would disconnect the busbar feed wire in order to isolate and wiring from cab.
I mention depressing fuel pedal because when colder than -20 one of my diesels loves some fuel pedal action.

Someone in our local group share this image from a 2H injection pump. There is a screw which bleed air from the pump itself.
Something to check? But if the engine start and run....?

117129478_10157394153437093_7295027183055089561_n.jpg

I’m going to try source some of the “slow glow” plugs and install them to my manual 12v slapped together set up and see if that has and differed results

although I can’t help but to think that if it will start with a little aerosol starter things can’t be all that bad

nor the issue that complexed if anyone has a part number for the 12v slow glow plugs I would appreciate if you could shear the info

Have you tried stepping on the fuel pedal while starting?
New glow plugs should help but pretty sure Aus is warm enough most days but make sure you swap the whole set.
You can also run a hot wire to the glow busbar if you suspect your glowplug wiring is compromised.
I would disconnect the busbar feed wire in order to isolate and wiring from cab.
I mention depressing fuel pedal because when colder than -20 one of my diesels loves some fuel pedal action.
No but I do wind up the idle screw on the dash witch is basically the same thing and stomping on accelerator

although I can’t help but to think that if it will start with a little aerosol starter things can’t be all that bad

Starter fluid tends to hide problems . It makes up for low compression or lack of fuel

How long do you allow the plugs to glow for before you start cranking the starter?

I’m going to try source some of the “slow glow” plugs and install them to my manual 12v slapped together set up and see if that has and differed results

nor the issue that complexed if anyone has a part number for the 12v slow glow plugs I would appreciate if you could shear the info
If you are already set up for manual glow I probably wouldn’t want the slow glow plugs. You probably want the 12v ones.

Ok, so it doesn't look like you have an "air in the system" problem as you have stated the primer pump is rock hard when you check it. I would have started there.

You've ruled out compression as you have tested that already

Once you check the glow system (this is suspect now because it was messed with) and make sure the glow plugs are working correctly with the manual system you put it, if that does not fix your problem, then we are back to fuel.

You stated that while cranking, it puffs white - that means it is getting at least some fuel but not igniting properly, or perhaps not getting enough. Have you put in a new fuel filter lately (sorry if I missed that)

Last to check - injectors - do you know the history? How many KM's on them? If the fuel is not getting atomized properly in the cylinder, it won't ignite well and the engine will not run very efficiently (increased fuel consumption, alot of black smoke, excessive smoke on startup, etc.)

How cold is it in the morning when you go to start? A properly tuned diesel should start after cranking for a while (15-20 seconds) without glow when it is relatively warm outside, it will just give a lot of white smoke until it warms up a little.

I would surmise that they are original injectors Witch have 330k odd on them

I’m not getting excessive black smoke ever old white witch my heighten paranoia keeps interpreting as it burning oil witch it is not

I also make the assumption that it was tuned correctly but htf would you know

if it’s any consolation it come out running a good deal better that when it went in

and fuel filter has been changed about 500 km ago

Someone had mentioned that it may be a timing issue (injector pump timing out)

but its my under standing that a tooth ether direction should make it run like a bucket of s***

If it's blowing a lot of uncooked diesel, I'd suggest getting the timing checked as if it's retarded it certainly won't be helping with cold starts.

I would surmise that they are original injectors Witch have 330k odd on them

I’m not getting excessive black smoke ever old white witch my heighten paranoia keeps interpreting as it burning oil witch it is not

That could be your problem. Injectors are usually serviced at 100000klms. There are 2 problems with old injectors. 1) they can make black smoke because of worn nozzle tips, 2) the injector spring is weak and opens and lets the fuel into the engine while the piston is still coming up. This causes white smoke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom