Issue with installing Magnaflow cat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I am in the process of returning my exhaust setup to stock(ish) form using a combination of brand new factory Toyota components, and an aftermarket "direct replacement" Magnaflow cat.

The issue I have is there is a protruding lip on the exhaust side that does not fit inside the female portion of the magnaflow inlet.

In other words there is no way to get the surfaces to mate perfectly together, even with the provided OEM gasket.

Any idea why this would be happening, and how to fix?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_7559.JPG

IMG_7160.JPG

IMG_9025.JPG

You should be asking Magnaflow this question and/or shopping for a cat that fits properly. That protrusion of pipe retains the gasket and assures the smooth flow of gasses.

Another option would be chopping the flanges off the pipe and cat and welding them together but that could have drawbacks in the future.

You should be asking Magnaflow this question and/or shopping for a cat that fits properly. That protrusion of pipe retains the gasket and assures the smooth flow of gasses.

Another option would be chopping the flanges off the pipe and cat and welding them together but that could have drawbacks in the future.

Thanks, I have a case filed with Magnaflow and am waiting to hear back.

Was just wondering if this is something others encountered and if there is a quick fix like flaring the inside of the cat slightly where it doesn't fit.

Agree the protruding lip needs to fit inside to ensure flow and a secure fit.

I definitely don't want to weld anything, want to keep things modular so they can be detached/disconnected as needed.

Did your 80 come from outside CA and the exhaust system became rusted beyond hope? I redid fasteners and gaskets on my exhaust several months ago and my 1993 cats are solid and look new inside. The muffler is the only exhaust component I have replaced and that was to get rid of the famous whistle that started happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom