Ishmael - '89 HJ-61 JDM Camping Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

60Works

60 Series Iron Works
Threads
Hello, All.

Thought I'd share a few photos and some knowledge about an HJ-61 project I've been working on for several years. I've named this truck Ishmael. His paint color reminds me of the deep ocean and in New England that brings up thoughts of Moby Dick. "Call me, Ishmael."

Where he started:

Mud Ish 001.jpg

Mud Ish 002.jpg

How he's going:

Mud Ish 3.jpg

The JDM comes with some nice upgrades we didn't get in the US. This HJ is sporting a FF rear axle with posi track, PTO winch, high roof, Ricarro seats, and 12H-T diesel coupled to a H55F 5 speed manual transmission. Unfortunately it doesn't have the factory cable lockers.

These side window rain guards appear to be a Toyota accessory.

Mud Ish 4.JPG

An overhead console has reading lights, sunroof controls, inside/outside temperature, and an altimeter.

Mud Ish 005.JPG

The interior is in great condition and didn't appear to be smoked in. This is incredibly rare for Japanese cars.

Mud Ish 006.JPG

Mud Ish 007.JPG

Mud Ish 008.JPG

Mud Ish 009.JPG

Mud Ish 010.JPG

Mud Ish 011.JPG

Yeah your 61 is the vehicle we all wanted Toyota to bring to the USA to replace the 60. It has all the goodies.

Very nice indeed. I wonder what the autographs/writing on the back of the glovebox door are?

Very nice indeed. I wonder what the autographs/writing on the back of the glovebox door are?

:meh:

No idea.

Oil change records, child doodles, dumpling recipes, wife's take out order, instructions to set the clock on the radio, the formula for cold fusion...

Any one know any one who reads Japanese?

The intent of this Cruiser was to take it off road without being too fussy about paint. Ish came with body damage to both front doors and the usual patina of 30 years. The factory bumpers are flimsy. The rear was already bent on one side and the front, with the PTO winch sticking out 18", would not have good approach angles. Both would need upgrades.

I started with the rear and chose Trail Taylor to build it. This was nearly a decade ago when Jason was just launching his awesome bumpers. We exchanged ideas and requirements and decided on double swing outs of a spare carrier and a ladder and to add rear quarter protection in 3/8" steel. Its very heavy. A bit too heavy for the available horse power but it is absolutely bomb proof. Jason's welding skills are top shelf. He was also very accommodating and easy to work with. He is still one of this communities top vendors. Thank you, Jason.

Mocking up a pattern.

Mud Ish 20.JPG

Making room.

Mud Ish 21.jpg

When removing frame rivets I highly recommend using an air chisel. Highly. It will buzz off the head in seconds each and allow you to punch them out quickly. I've seen numerous threads where mudders are grinding and hammering for hours and hours or even days to get either the C-channels or rear cross member out. This took me less than 2 hours. Granted, this frame isn't rusty and seized but I've done a number of these now and its worth buying the tool for this one job.

Trail Taylor delivered a few weeks later.

Mud Ish 25.JPG

The bumper was too heavy to lift solo. The crane with a 2' strap positioned it easily to slide between the frame rails. Most of the bolt holes lined up without issue. A couple needed light filing. This unit went on with less fuss than most. The 2" receiver hitch has excellent bracing and I have no concerns at all about using it well beyond the factory tow rating.

Mud Ish 27.JPG

With the swings.

Mud Ish 29.JPG

Positioning the spare behind the driver is the best way to keep rear visibility. I wish the mount was a couple inches lower but that would have changed the angle of the tire and limited the size of spare. If I were to do it again, I would use aluminum for the swing outs, possibly the whole bumper to save weight.

Mud Ish 30.JPG

Not everything went smooth. Jason didn't have a 60 with fender flares for a pattern. I mailed him one side's flare but they are attached with studs embedded in the fiberglass and a nut inside the body. This meant the Jason couldn't mount the flare and had to rely on measurements. The quarter sliders were both off by a small amount.

Mud Ish 31.JPG

Mud Ish 32.JPG

I don't view this as a defect; merely a causality of not having a pattern, which was my choice because of the extreme distance between our shops. Frames vary slightly and get tweeked occasionally. There is no way to perfectly custom fab a bumper without having the truck present. I used a local fabricator to move the front of the sliders outboard as needed and corrected the vertical. After a second and third test fit, he send it all out for powder coating.

Using a swing out rear bumper greatly reduces the ease of access to the cargo area. Since I am building this truck to camp out in, I want to be able to get to items easily. Kevin Roland's, Wagon Gear, quarter glass flip ups are fantastic.

To install them you have to first remove the quarter glass:

Mud Ish 41.JPG

Mud Ish 42.JPG

Wagon Gear's kit has 3 layers of sheet metal. One to hold the removed glass and 2 to sandwich the rear quarter. The sandwich is bolted together with ss bolts and has a good quality water seal.

Mud Ish 43.JPG

Install wasn't complicated but it wasn't easy either. So worth it.

Mud Ish 45.JPG

Mud Ish 46.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom