Is white fog during warm up a sign of a leaking head gasket? vid. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexFJ

SILVER Star
Threads
Would a compression test help to diagnose?

if only during initial startup, then it goes away...most likely just condensation in the exhaust system. If you drive short distances and the exhaust doesn't get opportunity to heat fully, you'll have a pretty short life span on your muffler/pipes.

If it occurs constantly, then it's a bigger issue....head gasket is possible. Pull the radiator cap when you first start the rig, let it warm up, and watch for constant tiny air bubbles. Also, check the rad fluid, any oil in there is a bad sign.

oof.... I hope so. Just don't remember seeing this that much. I replaced the muffler and pipe during the warm season so it's the first time I'm seeing it in colder weather.

oof.... I hope so. Just don't remember seeing this that much. I replaced the muffler and pipe during the warm season so it's the first time I'm seeing it in colder weather.
I replaced the pipe/muffler with OEM last week and I get the same fog for a couple of minutes then it goes away. It also had the fog before i replaced the pipe/muffler. Normal.

Here in NE Oregon I'll get condensation for several minutes until the motor gets hot - it can do that for 10 minutes or so when it's down in the single digits/teens...

Heck I am in sunny all year Los Angeles - and my 60 does it two on initial start up after sitting for 4-5 days. My MR2 does same thing.

Normal.

as others have commented if it always does that then you've got a problem.

only on startup - no biggie.

a compression check is always nice for piece of mind and general knowledge on the health of your engine if you've never done one. Pretty easy job too

I guess a good way to check this theory is to drive it home and let it sit for 2 hours during 78 degree weather. IF I start up and it happens again (fogs for ~18) min idling) then perhaps it's not just condensation as nothing would get cold enough to condensate, right? But the two hours would allow the Head and exhaust headers to cool down?

The reason I thought about this theory is that I read someone mention the fog being a head gasket issue on MUD.

"my cruiser started blowing white smog on warm up"

If it's a head gasket it's usually WAY more steam. You also have other indicators depending on how bad the gasket has blown; running poorly, bad compression/leakdown, sweet smell in the steam from the coolant, milky look to oil, etc. Letting it cool down will likely let it create steam until everything is hot again. If it's a bad head gasket, the steam can often stay even after everything is hot because there is so much moisture being pumped through the system. Also, if you have a new Catalytic Convertor this could be a cause too. They have to get super hot to start catalyzing, so it may be soaking up a lot of the exhaust gas heat and extending the process? I'm just guessing now.

How cold and does it eventually dissipate?

Overhere new hyped bio gasoline is 5 or 10% (water) ethanol.

Are you losing coolant?

Byproduct of catalytic conversion of exhaust gas (Hydrocarbons) is water. 2H2+o2=2H2O

How cold and does it eventually dissipate?
in Texas so I think it got down to 55 overnight. Fog goes away idling in 18 min but if driven I guess faster.

Are you losing coolant?

Byproduct of catalytic conversion of exhaust gas (Hydrocarbons) is water. 2H2+o2=2H2O
Good point.

I have to keep track if I'm losing coolant still. I was but I found a couple of small hoses leaking, one of which was leaking on the exhaust pipe flange. knowing I had a exhaust leak there when cold, I had this crazy theory that it was seeping in there overnight. fixed the leaks now keeping an eye on coolant level.

Compression test is coming up either today or tomorrow.

Yeah I gotta agree w/ Seth, if it was the HG it would be massive amounts of steam. If your on fb... in one group in particular I’ve been seeing a lot of posts from people not all that wise and jumping the gun. Step back and relax. Your gut will tell you when something is really amiss.

A blown HG doesn’t always steam like vid, at least not in the early stages. But I still think what the OP is experiencing is totally normal.

For sure. I’ve had head gaskets fail on other cars that never mixed oil a s coolant or lost compression. But instead had oil or coolant leaking out the side of the engine. Coolant in the oil is very common as is burned in cylinders.

another check for exhaust is if it smells sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom