Is this the right thermostat gasket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
pg.photos.yahoo.com
I have my radiator out, so I decided to go ahead and change my thermostat. Got a new one from NAPA with the gasket that they said I would need. But I got home and it's not quite the same as the one on the old one, plus there another gasket on the old one. (It would cover "made in japan" if it was on the new one) Any advice? thanks for the help in advance

That looks like the thermostat O-ring, there is a gasket with 4bolts for the housing. The only place I have been able to get that one is dealer or SOR.

that is the upper gasket, it looks different becuase it hasn't been smashed yet.

yes you need the lower gasket, I use OEM, but have found aftermarket at the local parts store...worked fine(it was blue/whitish, forget the brand, FM I think)

I went to my local auto part store and bought a roll of gasket material and now I make my own, its easy to do and it saves me a few dollars here and there.

import silvia said:
For the cooling system you can just use a manila (sp) folder to make your gasket. I doubt there is a single vehicle in the whole USMC not sporting at least one of these gaskets.

Are you serious? Is this temp fix or something you can leave in for awhile?

CTiger said:
not a bad idea

What I did to make my own gasket is I took the houseing and cleaned it and then put a coating of vasoline and laid it flat on the gasket material when I removed the housing the vasoline made my outline. Then I cut the gasket out and used it for a template. :banana:

BTW CTiger, are you a Sublime fan?

batman said:
Are you serious? Is this temp fix or something you can leave in for awhile?

100% serious. Just use the ball end of a ball peen hammer to cut the folder (gentle taps) right on the surface to be gasketed. It works great for cooling systems and to mount superchargers to 6V53T's.

import silvia said:
100% serious. Just use the ball end of a ball peen hammer to cut the folder (gentle taps) right on the surface to be gasketed. It works great for cooling systems and to mount superchargers to 6V53T's.

What is the life span of this type gasket?

I never really saw one fail. The only problem I ever saw was when newbie mechs doubted the gasket and tried to put a bunch of RTV on there too and then it never really sealed. I'm telling you when I replaced my thermostat 6 months ago I made my gasket out of a file folder, it has not leaked a bit. It has survived the hottest month ever in Tucson and several flushings with no trouble what so ever. I'm not saying this is the best solution ever but if you need a gasket it works very well.

import silvia said:
I never really saw one fail. The only problem I ever saw was when newbie mechs doubted the gasket and tried to put a bunch of RTV on there too and then it never really sealed. I'm telling you when I replaced my thermostat 6 months ago I made my gasket out of a file folder, it has not leaked a bit. It has survived the hottest month ever in Tucson and several flushings with no trouble what so ever. I'm not saying this is the best solution ever but if you need a gasket it works very well.

I have actually seen cereal boxes used for this with great results!

batman said:
What I did to make my own gasket is I took the houseing and cleaned it and then put a coating of vasoline and laid it flat on the gasket material when I removed the housing the vasoline made my outline. Then I cut the gasket out and used it for a template. :banana:

BTW CTiger, are you a Sublime fan?

That's a good way of doing it, I was trying to think of how one would go about making the holes as close to dead-on as possible. But today i went ahead and ordered a toyota one.

And yes, I'm a big fan of Sublime, they were awesome!

Advanced Auto had one here in Omaha (the land of no Landcruisers). FelPro gasket, $1.76 + tax.

Hodag

CTiger said:
That's a good way of doing it, I was trying to think of how one would go about making the holes as close to dead-on as possible. But today i went ahead and ordered a toyota one.

And yes, I'm a big fan of Sublime, they were awesome!

This should tell you something, My dogs name is Louie, but he is a Australian shepherd not a dalmation. So I would say Sublime is my fav band of all time? :beer:

CTiger said:
haha does it smell like lou-dog inside your van?
RIP Bradley Nowell

It smells like Lou dog inside the LC :D

yes RIP Bradley Nowell

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom