Is this reasonable tire wear? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AJP

Threads
I have a '97 LX450 ... just adding lots of odds and ends of new parts courtesy of Cruiserdan (thanks!) with the expectation of keeping this one going for a long time yet.

As usually happens, after getting all the bits and pieces for the 450, I see a nice looking 2003 LX470 on a local lot. The odometer says about 41,000 miles. The tires are Dunlop (I assume the factory originals) but are pretty much worn out. Does this sound right? My factory original Michelins had well over 70k miles and looked good for another 70k when I changed them. I was surprised to see this sort of advanced wear on the Dunlops and was wondering if that seemed normal to folks on this list.

thanks very much!

ps should I keep the '97 450 or go to the 2003 470... I am really torn here... the LX450 has been the best vehicle I have ever owned fwiw.

I would say the worn out tires are more a reflection of the driving styles of the PO than anything else. Some on this board need tires less than every 25k miles.

As far as the upgrade from 450 is concerned, if you can afford it, why not? 2003 is generally regarded as the sweet spot in this board for the 100s. And since it is a LX, they should be able to give you a list of all the work done on it so far. I would make sure that it is CPO so that you can get the general issues taken care of when/if they arise - starter contacts and the leaky manifolds in particular......

I have a '97 LX450 ... just adding lots of odds and ends of new parts courtesy of Cruiserdan (thanks!) with the expectation of keeping this one going for a long time yet.

As usually happens, after getting all the bits and pieces for the 450, I see a nice looking 2003 LX470 on a local lot. The odometer says about 41,000 miles. The tires are Dunlop (I assume the factory originals) but are pretty much worn out. Does this sound right? My factory original Michelins had well over 70k miles and looked good for another 70k when I changed them. I was surprised to see this sort of advanced wear on the Dunlops and was wondering if that seemed normal to folks on this list.

thanks very much!

ps should I keep the '97 450 or go to the 2003 470... I am really torn here... the LX450 has been the best vehicle I have ever owned fwiw.

I would say that is normal tire wear for OEM Dunlops. The OEM Michelins are good for about 70-80K miles. Big difference in OEM Dunlops and OEM Michelins.

dunlops suck, i hate them. they wear faster than any tire i have seen, especially on the outer edges. if someone got 40k out of a set i would consider that great.

Thanks...appreciate the comments .. I am going to try to get down to do a test drive tomorrow. Interesting.. as mentionned by jjbodean1970 .. wear IS most obvious on the outer edges of the tires. Funny the only total blow-out I ever experienced was on a what appeared to be good tire (a Dunlop fwiw) that developed an inner sidewall bubble ... was the right rear and I almost lost the car cause I was very inexperienced at this sort of thing ... still am for that matter. Not a big fan of Dunlops I guess.

Thanks for the tip on the leaky manifolds.. wasn't aware of that issue... already had to replace the starter contacts on the 450 so have a little experience with that problem ... but did't have to remove the intake manifold for that.

thanks again!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom