Is this how the Bilstein 185606 is supposed to look? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, I guess enough time has lapsed that it's time for another "Shock Boot" lesson. SHOCK BOOTS DESTROY SHOCKS. Looking at the first picture above you'll see small holes in the very top of the shock boot. Those holes are there so that the shock boot can breath, so that it does not blow up like a balloon when the shock compresses. Does wet road/rain and stream crossing water go directly into those breathing holes- - -YES. Now look at the bottom of the boot, it is clamped tightly onto the shock housing, is the water going to escape - - -No. Soooooo then the trapped water is trapped against the shock shaft, eventually rusting the shaft, then the rusty shaft cycles through the shock's top oil seal- - -instant destroyed leaker!!!!!

^^^
Have not heard of this before… seems to make sense tho.

I re-installed shaft down. Cut the zip tie so the boot isn’t so compressed. We’ll see how they perform. Thanks everyone for your input.
I'll zip tie the boots at the same spot but the ride is very much improved over the outgoing suspension. Cotter pins on the way.
9B3BAB61-EA16-456F-BC7F-5C2DC7051421.jpeg

I agree with Downey but they do look cool. :cool: Haven't researched it but I heard Bilstein will not warranty the shocks if you don't use the boots. Merry Christmas! :santa:

This may fall into the nitnoid category. You can mount these shocks in any orientation and they will articulate properly. However, the boot/rod is meant to be mounted “down”. It seems counter intuitive I know. But, you should see “weep holes” in the bottom lip of the boot. This allows any accumulated moisture to escape as the shock flexes. In your current mounting H2O that infiltrates the boot will accumulate at the base of your shock.

Or, you can sh*t can the boot all together with the shock/rod in the down position ref the pic above @Skreddy.

And least of all, you know the marketing guys at Bilstein, want anyone who peeks under your ride to be able read the label right side up. Just sayen. 😉
Oddly, not all Bilsteins are designed to have the shock/rod in the down position. Installed these on my F-250 about a month ago and was surprised to learn its the opposite on this truck. Shock mounting pin sizes prevented it from being mounted in any other orientation. Maybe it’s because they are on a Ford? 😂

But the weep holes are indeed in the right place (bottom of the boot) as you noted!

CC0878C9-5A2A-469A-9A60-F1B928861C66.jpeg

I have ICON shocks on my Tundra and shock bodies are all on top, shaft down, no boots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom