Is this a Thermostat Problem? or... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's about 11 miles to work and it's been cold in the mornings (50-60F). But no warm air is coming out of the heater for the first 8-10 minutes, even though the temp gauge show water temp at it's normal midway point. Then the temp guage shows the water temp climbing until it just about hits the red. Heater air is still cold.
Then water temp drops and I get warm air.
Is this the thermostat sticking? Any other ideas?
thanks,

P1080687.JPG

Photo is from the 2009 Budapest to Bamako Off-road Race. It was the adventure of a lifetime. That was one of the last times it was safe to race in Mali. The race is still happening, but finishing in nearby Sierra Leone. We were the only team from the US. The LC was the perfect vehicle. If you guys are interested, I can post more pix and tips on how you can do it too!

Sounds more like an air lock. You get hot coolant through the heater matrix so long as the heater valve is open. The thermosat doesn't factor until the coolant gets above 82c (in theory).

Coolant level normal? Radiator overflow tank over-full or bubbling? Oil look normal (not milky). Old/new/aftermarket Thermostat?

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick responses. I'll check the level in the morning and go from there.

I'll post some more photos tomorrow as well.

In the meantime, I'll say that if you're looking for a great off road adventure, you can do worse than joining a 15-day, 5,000 mile, run-what-ya-brung race across North Africa. And the best part is that it's doable for the adventurous amateur and not crazy expensive. Check out the B2B website to get a feel for it.

Brief update: Sometimes it's the simplest (cheapest) fix. Checked the radiator this morning. Almost empty. Filled it and proceeded to work with no issues. Heater blew hot air and water temp, nominal. Next I need to investigate how I lost the coolant. Thanks,

Brief update: Sometimes it's the simplest (cheapest) fix. Checked the radiator this morning. Almost empty. Filled it and proceeded to work with no issues. Heater blew hot air and water temp, nominal. Next I need to investigate how I lost the coolant. Thanks,

That’s concerning. It could be the small coolant hoses or yeah..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom