Is my dash a mongrel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gradually educating myself as I go on my FJ40, supposed to be a '77 Japan import to the UK, no VIN but chassis and engine numbers are '77. Have my suspicions that its actually from Indonesia, e.g. aftermarket heater and AC. Plus its only 3 speed, questioned PO but told JDM different from US (<73) where most of info I was able to find prior to buying.

Pulling faulty hazard switch I found a few issues:

• Dash panel has extra detail, above stereo, as per 60's dash but doesn't have the horizontal detailing higher up. It this a mix of various vintages?
  • Cluster is gen4 so post '79
  • Wiring isn't stock, hazard switch has three connections
  • Defrosters vents and guides have been butchered, vents are simply flat plastic panels and the guides are non existent. Air finds its way from the heater via piping through a rough hole in the box section housing the wipers.
Can anyone shed any light on any of this? Were defroster vents simply not added to trucks for the tropics? I also have the vent on the scuttle panel that is now blocked up.

Total novice in a country of very few j40s, all help greatly appreciated.

Its now my daily drive in London, loving it.

Cheers

IMG_9368.jpg
IMG_9367.jpg
IMG_9365.jpg
IMG_6037.jpg

The plastic vents look normal but the hole cut in the top of dash is not. The dash does look different. Maybe a newer style tub or at least dash has been put on, from a country without heaters..

Hi. I am also in the UK and also have a 3 speed with a 2F engine. I was told it was from Japan but it definitely came from Indonesia and has been altered a great deal . No heating or any signs that there has ever been any. I am in Suffolk.

Hi. I am also in the UK and also have a 3 speed with a 2F engine. I was told it was from Japan but it definitely came from Indonesia and has been altered a great deal . No heating or any signs that there has ever been any. I am in Suffolk.
Sounds familiar! I'm sure mines from Indonesia. did you get it from the guys down near Chichester?

Sounds familiar! I'm sure mines from Indonesia. did you get it from the guys down near Chichester?
No a private seller. I found Indonesian coins under the seats which was a give away. I had a quick look at the vents on mine and it has the long oval factory cut outs fitted with inserts. It had been fitted with AC which is now missing so I think I'm going down the Vintage Air route to the provide warm and cool air. I will add a photo so you can see what the vents look like .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom