Is my A440 toast? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have 89 FJ62 with original transmission, 210k miles on the clock.

Ran well until stupidly used the shift lever to downshift a couple gears. Now it shifts fine first five minutes then once warmed up "slips" out of gear over 2000rom as if had a clutch pedal depressed in all gears. If slowly accelerate, can get shifting back and get home. If park, run lever through gears, good for a short run. Then over 2000rpm slips again.

I'll do Rodney flash and party trick with fingers crossed. Maybe torque converter not locking up? (But think that's for overdrive only)

Any thoughts or observations appreciated. A five speed may be in my future....

I’m selling a rebuilt transmission, if interested.

I’m selling a rebuilt transmission, if interested.
If "fastback174" isn't entirely interested in what you have I'll take 2nd dibs on it. My A440F has been acting finicky at 292K. Thank you.
:beer: ✌️

Have 89 FJ62 with original transmission, 210k miles on the clock.

Ran well until stupidly used the shift lever to downshift a couple gears. Now it shifts fine first five minutes then once warmed up "slips" out of gear over 2000rom as if had a clutch pedal depressed in all gears. If slowly accelerate, can get shifting back and get home. If park, run lever through gears, good for a short run. Then over 2000rpm slips again.

I'll do Rodney flash and party trick with fingers crossed. Maybe torque converter not locking up? (But think that's for overdrive only)

Any thoughts or observations appreciated. A five speed may be in my future....

For update, filter was 70% blocked. No macroscopic metal. Flush and new filter have done the trick for now. Hoping blocked filter causing cavitation and slippage at higher RPMs.

IMG_20220621_201822.jpg

Wow - my screen was spotless and I know the trans had little service over the years. Thanks for posting the pix. You might do another fluid drain-and-swap in 6 mo., just to be safe. Might not need to pull the pan.

Which tranny fluid did you use? My transmission downshifted super hard from 2nd to 1st and Dexron 6 and a new filter did the trick. Has been performing great for over 10k miles now since doing that.

Which tranny fluid did you use? My transmission downshifted super hard from 2nd to 1st and Dexron 6 and a new filter did the trick. Has been performing great for over 10k miles now since doing that.
Used cheapo for flush, then Valvoline (Dex VI) for final fill plus 2qts of Lucas additive. Exchanging in 6 months might not be bad idea. Although, I think the screen clogged with debris when I was showing my 6yo how "downshifting" works in an automatic. Probably not a good idea on a 210K mile transmission.

How is the Lucas additive? I forgot that I put in a bottle of Lubeguard as well when I flushed my tranny per Georg from Valley Hybrids recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom