Is my 96 FZJ typical? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 80 has about 115,000 miles on it, and that I know of, hasn't had any major repairs to the engine or tranny, except for a factory replaced radiator and starter. It looks completely stock, and like it has never left the road. The mpg is similar to what you all are getting (13/16).

Except for a new vehicle, and I've owned a couple, this is the smoothest engine and transmission I've ever owned; but, it doesn't have kick-in-the-pants acceleration, and going uphill I was blown away by a little old chevy compact loaded with people and luggage.

I just got this less than 2 month ago, and the oil is still golden, even after 2000 miles (Quaker State), the transmission shifts really nice, doesn't smell burnt, and the exhaust doesn't smell bad. Air filter looks good, too. In NM, we don't have inspections, so how many have cut their cats off with improved power/mpg, or is the motor just designed for a different powerband use, or is the truck just too heavy for the engine?

Thanks.

Its a great engine, but a very heavy vehicle. Especially with the AC on the acceleration is lacking.

Yours sounds typical.

Welcome.

Sounds normal to me - just get used to going everywhere smooth and slow - well maybe not exactly slow - but not really fast.

If you have the "power" button engaged it will increase the performance by increasing RPM's between shift points.

LC's are torque machines - slow and steady.....

My OZ 80 feels faster than the California 80, probably no catalytics (and definitely no luxury speakers, sunroof etc weighing it down :D ), but they are both still slugs in second going up an increasingly steep hill...

Yours sounds typical.

David

So David,
How do you split your time between countries? Part of your job or are you just wealthy?

Part of my job, so to speak ;) .

Business (and family) brings us to the states as often as 4 times a year, maybe 8 for my wife/partner. She's the brains of the operation. I'm just an ol' attorney/housedad. But it's an open business and family plan evolving on several fronts simultaneously. I.e., never the same river twice!

But the tail does wag the dog: extended business trips overseas to the same general location provides a great reason to own a second 80! Not that there aren't many others...

:beer:

David

PS - let me know if I can ever talk you into visiting Australia. It's no work at all...

Get a supercharger or get used to it cause its typical. :flipoff2:

Course I can say that and still smile. :grinpimp:

mason said:
... and going uphill I was blown away by a little old chevy compact loaded with people and luggage.
Thanks.

hahaha... just the other day i was passed by a Scion or something like it. there was a sticker on the back window that read "you just got beat by a toaster"

Sheesh. I'm wondering what to do with all this power in my new-to-me 80. You should drive an FJ60. That was my "anti-road-rage" car. No need getting worked up about traffic. I'd get there....eventually....

Most of my driving is in the city, so it takes me just as long to get from point A to point B as if i had a Porsche. Wanna burn rubber? Lock your diff and drive in circles.

The first cruiser I test drove was a '91 FJ with the 4.0L I6. Talk about slow! Of course, this was a very poorly maintained example, so one in better shape could have been an improvment...

Be glad you've got the FZJ! I guess I'm used to it, but I don't feel my FZJ is THAT slow. Maybe it's just the confidence that I can go anywhere on or off road, or maybe it's the fact that those people speeding in the Chevy better get out of the way as I slooooowly merge onto the highway :D

Chip

santiagol said:
Wanna burn rubber? Lock your diff and drive in circles.

Great tip! I'll go try this now :doh:

:grinpimp:

Thanks. I guess I'm just adjusting myself from the American engines I've been used to. Ya know, a crapload of horsepower for the same mpg, but usually gets overhauled two to three times as much as an LC engine. I'm serious about how smooth this engine is. Doesn't burn, use or leak oil, and is soooooooo quiet. Judging by all y'all's (plural of y'all) posts, these engines can last to 300,000 +, and I guess this is the perfect car to keep me from getting any tickets!

Oh, and no doughnuts for me--no lockers. Didn't know anything about them coming on these until after I bought mine. I really thought about selling it and finding one with lockers, but this thing runs too smooth. I figure I can find some parted out axles and retrofit, and have a perfect rig, versus getting a locked one that I have to replace the engine on. But, in the end, I bet it's about the same cost, right?

mason said:
I figure I can find some parted out axles and retrofit, and have a perfect rig, versus getting a locked one that I have to replace the engine on. But, in the end, I bet it's about the same cost, right?

Do a search. This has been discussed many times. Some think retrofitting is the way to go while othere do not. There are pro's and con's to both. I personally love my ARB's and think they are alot less hassle than retrofit but once again this is just my opinion and differences of opinion are what make horse races.

Here is an interesting write up on retrofitting going on at this very moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom