Is low oil pressure on a 3FE a problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When driving my FJ62 and checking my gauges I notice that my oil pressure is always around ¼. It rarely goes above that and if so only by a pin or two. I have heard that this is on the edge of proper operating conditions. Should I be worried that it is low and are there any checks that I should be doing to confirm proper operation?

The engine is one of the parts of my truck that I rarely touch other than watching temp and oil level. I assume that the oil pressure is used to suck oil from the pan and redistribute it across the engine components for lubrication.

Low oil pressure is always a problem. The real question for you (or anybody really) is what is off, the actuall pressure or the guage? Its accepted that the Cruiser's gauge and sending unit get about a D+ grade for effectiveness. Get a real gauge, even if you just borrow it, and thread it into the port under the oil filter where the oil pressure sending unit goes. Do not let the wire that connects to it touch anything that is metal with the key on or you will ruin the gauge if it isn't bad already.

What are the side affects of low oil pressure? I agree that the stock gauges are little more than idiot lights.

Low oil pressure = low engine life...your dig? Could be as simple as an oil pump problem...or major engine issues...keep us posted.

My 3FE oil guage sits at the same spot as yours and has for the past 4 years that I've owned it. I think its more a guage issue than low pressure.
Dave

The stock gauge is an ok indicator if you know what its telling you. You should try a real gauge at least once, to know what you are seeing. Then you know what "normal" on your gauge is, whether that is half way up or less or more, whatever.

Lehiguy is right, put a manual gauge on and compare with your stock gauge. And be sure to check both hot and cold.

Just for comparison my 3B reads Zero at idle after the rig is warm. Hooked up a manual gauge and the actual pressure is 3 times the minimum acceptable for a 3B when new. The stock gauges are not much more than an idiot light with a moving arm.

Tony

I 2nd lehiguys advice. he gave me the same advice in another posting that i did about the same issue. Summit racing has a Mechanical 2 gauge pod for 25$ that has a temp gauge and a oil pressure gauge.. I did it on my old 62 and it was the best cheap thing i couldve installed. I acutally ended up doing the 3 gauge pod that also showed trans temp as well.

On one other note... check your oil level...Often times shops dont realize that our engines take almost 8 quarts of oil so you dont have enough in there.

I do all the work on my truck so I know the oil level is correct. I also check it when getting gas so it should be ok, although it has been leaking a lot through the oil pan gasket which is my next project coming up. I’ve wanted to put a temp gauge on my trany so getting an oil pressure gauge at the same time is a good idea. The stock oil pressure gauge has said the same thing for the last three years. Lately I’ve been taking an interest in preventative maintenance on the 289,000 mi drivetrain. That’s why I posted this question.

Sounds like you have a low gauge quality/sender problem...not low oil pressure.

Sounds like you have a low gauge quality/sender problem...not low oil pressure.

Sounds about right. My engine water temp doesn't work at all so there are issues with the contacts behind the dash or in the senders...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom